The Student Room Group

Official: Hull York Medical School A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I may have 81 points in total for HYMS. Should i apply?

I say may because I did not recieve the ucat bursary (would be 73 otherwise) but I am eligible for it. I didnt get it at the time because I was funded by my school and didnt know about it. I have emailed the admissions office asking if theyd accept evidence that im eligible as my contextual evidence. Do you guys think itll pan out alright?
Reply 41
Hi, I need advise if there’s any point in me
Applying to hyms .
GCSEs :9888877775
Ucat : 2640 Band 1
And I live in a quantile 2 area
Original post by shxwa
Hi, I need advise if there’s any point in me
Applying to hyms .
GCSEs :9888877775
Ucat : 2640 Band 1
And I live in a quantile 2 area

you score 70 points based on last years deciles, which is below last years cutoff of 77
I think I score either 77 or 81

Would that be risky to apply or worth a shot as I scored 2780 B1 so I’m not entirely sure which decile that would be this year?

Thanks
Reply 44
Hi just looking at a bit of advice if possible.
I was wondering post interview if someone could tell me how many points band 2 in SJT would get you? Also, if you just had one contextual point ( as I got ucat bursary) would you get any points post interview?
Finally, I was just wondering if people got their choice of York or Hull and when do they give you the option to choose ?
Thank you.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by keae1234
Hi just looking at a bit of advice if possible.
I was wondering post interview if someone could tell me how many points band 2 in SJT would get you? Also, if you just had one contextual point ( as I got ucat bursary) would you get any points post interview?
Finally, I was just wondering if people got their choice of York or Hull and when do they give you the option to choose ?
Thank you.

post int, band 2 gives you around 5 points. it's not about how many contextual criteria you fulfil it's about which ones you do, and pre interview ucat bursary gives you a lot of points so it should do post interview, but the post int contextual scoring works by scaling the points you get to your interview performance (if that makes sense) so it depends on your interview performance on how many points you get. you don't get to choose what campus you get unless you live in the hull york area as specified on their website, you get allocated your campus at the point of offer
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 46
what is the 10th decile then - I've never seen a score counted as "tenth" decile?
Original post by reubenn05
36/40
Reply 47
Hi,

UCAT 2850, band 1
Scored eight 9s and two 8s at GCSE (so highest 5 grades is 5 9s)
non contextual
Have mitigating circumstances

What would my score be for HYMS and is it a safe option?
Original post by el3341
what is the 10th decile then - I've never seen a score counted as "tenth" decile?

10th decile last year was a score of above 2880. the score quoted for each decile on the ucat website is the top of each decile, so 2880 is the top of the 9th decile.
Original post by el3341
Hi,

UCAT 2850, band 1
Scored eight 9s and two 8s at GCSE (so highest 5 grades is 5 9s)
non contextual
Have mitigating circumstances

What would my score be for HYMS and is it a safe option?

81, and it should be ok, as cutoff last year was 77
Reply 50
thank you!

81, and it should be ok, as cutoff last year was 77
Reply 51
oh, I see ! Thank you

10th decile last year was a score of above 2880. the score quoted for each decile on the ucat website is the top of each decile, so 2880 is the top of the 9th decile.
Reply 52
i have a score of 56 :frown:
i don't understand what is meant by cutoff of 76?

Minimum points needed for an offer for 2018, 2019 and 2020 entry:
2018: 55.58
2019: 55.00
Original post by LIUDD
i have a score of 56 :frown:
i don't understand what is meant by cutoff of 76?

Minimum points needed for an offer for 2018, 2019 and 2020 entry:
2018: 55.58
2019: 55.00

2023 entry was 77, basically the cutoffs are going up year on year, but it may not increase this year due to gcse grade deflation
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 54
2023 entry was 77, basically the cutoffs are going up year on year, but it may not increase this year due to gcse grade deflation

thank you, there's no way it would have increased by that much though?
Reply 55
12 gcses (9 9s, one eight, one 7, and grade A maths igcse at the age of 11)
ucat 2910 band 3, predicted A*A*A (chemistry, biology, Maths) and achived EPQ A*. Is this worth applying. I have heard that hull york medicine admission is heavily contextual based. is this true? live in manchester
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by LIUDD
thank you, there's no way it would have increased by that much though?

2022 entry was 73, so it increased by 4 points from 2022 to 2023
Original post by Nadiaziz
12 gcses (9 9s, one eight, one 7, and grade A maths igcse at the age of 11)
ucat 2910 band 3, predicted A*A*A (chemistry, biology, Maths) and achived EPQ A*. Is this worth applying. I have heard that hull york medicine admission is heavily contextual based. is this true?

unfortunately due to band 3 you would be under last year's cutoff. contextual factors count for 15 points in selection for interview, which is the same weighting as sjt, and selection for offer includes contextual and sjt in addition to interview performance
Reply 58
how are points calculated? is there any calculator?
Original post by Nadiaziz
how are points calculated? is there any calculator?

look at first post of this thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending