The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Official City, University of London freshers 2023 chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pxnyl_
That's okay, I know that when I was applying it was super hard to find information about Optom let alone foundation year optom so I'd be more than happy to help!! I applied through clearing as I didn't make it into the main course. Some really good things to write in your ps would be any times you've done volunteering. When I was writing my ps it was actually for medicine, but I got my two offers for optom. As long as you show genuine interest in wanting to work in healthcare and that you're curious about learning, I'm sure you will be fine. I believe City do interviews however they gave me an offer around march so I didn't need to attend an interview. (this was really brief but if you need more support or have specific questions dm me :smile:)

Thank you soo much for replying to mee, it means the world 😫 did you apply through clearing on results day? Also did you talk about anythign optometry related? Like ocular diseases/anything like that? I don’t have any volunteering or work experience related to optom (I’m going to try to get it during half term) but I’ve done a lot of in school things
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by spooky123
Thank you soo much for replying to mee, it means the world 😫 did you apply through clearing on results day? Also did you talk about anythign optometry related? Like ocular diseases/anything like that? I don’t have any volunteering or work experience related to optom (I’m going to try to get it during half term) but I’ve done a lot of in school things

No worries, I'm happy I can be helpful! :smile: I applied through clearing a day after results day and it was a really smooth process thankfully. I did talk about optom in my ps but it was mainly only about my personal connection with it, I talked a lot more about the science that I learned in the summer schools I went to and in my hospital volunteering. With the hospital volunteering I also talked a bit about my patient interaction and linked this in with medicine (although this could easily be switched to optom in your case). I also focused a lot on my curiosity for learning about anything science, and how my personal connection to healthcare made it the career I wanted to go in. Don't worry too much if you don't have experience related to optom, as long as you have experience that can be related to a healthcare setting it should be completely okay. That being said, if you are able to find optom related experience over the half term it would definitely be something really cool to write about. If you need me to check your personal statement feel free to dm me and I can have a look!! :smile:

Hope this helps!! <333
Original post by Anonymous
Hiii, I'm studying Optometry; I like watching films, trying new things and reading fiction; and I'm most looking forward to seeing what university social life is like, balancing the societies, sports and studying.

Hey do u know if there’s an optometry gc ?
Original post by Roxy7272727
Hey do u know if there’s an optometry gc ?

Hey nope I haven't found one yet, but this thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7316796&p=98761186&page=3#post98761186) is the closest thing to one (there's no chatting but just a couple of people have said they're going city optom, and someone recommended we join a WhatsApp gc thats supposed to give first years a head start - I joined, it's nice)
Original post by Pxnyl_
Hey! I'm Lara and I'm going to be studying a foundation year for optometry. I loveee visiting new places in London with my friends and playing video games as soon as I get home hahaa. If anyone else is also doing foundation optometry lmk!!! :smile:

Hey I’m in year 13 atm and thinking of applying to this course. I only do biology so I’m kinda scared to apply bc of how risky it is but my predicted grades are quite hifh( A*AA) what a level subjects did you do?
Reply 25
Hey I’m in year 13 atm and thinking of applying to this course. I only do biology so I’m kinda scared to apply bc of how risky it is but my predicted grades are quite hifh( A*AA) what a level subjects did you do?

Hiya! I think you'll be okay if you want to apply to the course as the entry requirements say you need at least one science a level, which you already have. In terms of the high predicted grades, I know people on the course currently that got in with way higher than the BCC requirements so don't feel like it's going to be a risk! If you don't mind me asking, what specifically do you find risky so that I can give more specific advice? :smile:
Original post by Pxnyl_
Hiya! I think you'll be okay if you want to apply to the course as the entry requirements say you need at least one science a level, which you already have. In terms of the high predicted grades, I know people on the course currently that got in with way higher than the BCC requirements so don't feel like it's going to be a risk! If you don't mind me asking, what specifically do you find risky so that I can give more specific advice? :smile:

I find it risky that there’s only so few unis I can apply to that does the foundation year. And if I apply manu people that are applying also do 2 sciences and have high predicted grades, so they might be given priority. Also what happens when you finish the foundation year? Do you have to reapply or you go straight into 1st year
Reply 27
I find it risky that there’s only so few unis I can apply to that does the foundation year. And if I apply manu people that are applying also do 2 sciences and have high predicted grades, so they might be given priority. Also what happens when you finish the foundation year? Do you have to reapply or you go straight into 1st year

That makes sense, I'm not too sure about the priority aspect but when it comes to foundation years universities tend to give you an offer so long as you meet the minimum entry requirements, which in this case you do. I would say don't stress too much and apply anyway if you think you're interested in the foundation year. On city's foundation course you have to achieve 65% or over in all modules to proceed onto the main optom course (plus 80% attendance) without the need to reapply, but we're advised to still apply to other universities through ucas just in case we don't pass the foundation year. Also, if you pass the foundation year but get below 65%, then you can still use the foundation year qualification to become an optical assistant so that's good to know too in case you're thinking about that path too. Hopefully this clears some things up!<3
Original post by Pxnyl_
That makes sense, I'm not too sure about the priority aspect but when it comes to foundation years universities tend to give you an offer so long as you meet the minimum entry requirements, which in this case you do. I would say don't stress too much and apply anyway if you think you're interested in the foundation year. On city's foundation course you have to achieve 65% or over in all modules to proceed onto the main optom course (plus 80% attendance) without the need to reapply, but we're advised to still apply to other universities through ucas just in case we don't pass the foundation year. Also, if you pass the foundation year but get below 65%, then you can still use the foundation year qualification to become an optical assistant so that's good to know too in case you're thinking about that path too. Hopefully this clears some things up!<3

This was so helpful, thank you so much xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending