The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Applicant Thread 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
When did you submit your application? I got a confirmation email from them within a week but that could just be my course. Some of the other universities responded over two weeks after I applied - I wouldn't worry if you're getting confirmation emails from other universities - the application would be with them, they just might not have emailed yet.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Submitted on 14th Oct! for Medicine
(edited 6 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, thinking of applying for Economics at Lancaster. Do you know if Lancaster makes reduced grade offers if they are put down as first choice on the UCAS application? Some other universities are offering this and I was wondering if Lancaster might do the same.

Hi Anon,

I asked our admissions team for you:

"It doesn't matter what order you list your choices on the UCAS application - there is no preference order. However, if we make you an offer, we will typically guarantee that we will accept you at a lower grade if you make us your firm choice. It does depend on the exact course and the qualifications you are taking, so if you would like a more detailed answer, please feel free to email [email protected]"

Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Is there any offers for marketing related degree of reduced entry requirements grade if we put them as first choice

Hi Anon,

I asked our admissions team for you:

"It doesn't matter what order you list your choices on the UCAS application - there is no preference order. However, if we make you an offer, we will typically guarantee that we will accept you at a lower grade if you make us your firm choice. It does depend on the exact course and the qualifications you are taking, so if you would like a more detailed answer, please feel free to email [email protected]"

Tineke
Guess we might be the same person! What topic was her EPQ on? Mine was on sustainability and renewable energy resources.
Glad to get an idea of timescales - I don't really know anyone who applied for physics

Hi @asqwdfrgthjk

my EPQ was on medical physics: comparing and contrasting ionising and non-ionising radiation treatments. is energy something you would like to learn more about? in my third year I took a module called energy that was about sustainable resources, electricity etc. it was quite a good module and would recommend picking it as an optional module if it is offered when you get to your third year :smile:

Tineke
Hi,
I've submitted an application for Theoretical Physics and am studying Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and have an EPQ.
Currently panicking about replies but hey I guess I just have to wait :smile:

Hi @asqwdfrgthjk

@The application process for physics courses is now fully underway. Invites to interview have been sent out this afternoon so if you haven’t received it yet you should do in the next few days. We aim for a 2 week turnaround after the interview day, but it's usually much quicker than this. [br] [br] Hope that helps!

Tineke

Wow that's amazing - thanks for keeping me posted about what's happening in the department itself. Super excited to hear back from Lancaster as you're my top choice!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @asqwdfrgthjk

my EPQ was on medical physics: comparing and contrasting ionising and non-ionising radiation treatments. is energy something you would like to learn more about? in my third year I took a module called energy that was about sustainable resources, electricity etc. it was quite a good module and would recommend picking it as an optional module if it is offered when you get to your third year :smile:

Tineke

Absolutely - I think it is a massive issue that we need to address and I am looking at eventually ending up in some form of sustainable engineering following a degree and probably postgrad, thanks for letting me know about that option - I will probably be taking that as it sounds very interesting. My EPQ mainly focussed on wind turbines and hydrogen fuel cells, is that something that is touched upon during that module? I would love to learn more about them :smile:
Absolutely - I think it is a massive issue that we need to address and I am looking at eventually ending up in some form of sustainable engineering following a degree and probably postgrad, thanks for letting me know about that option - I will probably be taking that as it sounds very interesting. My EPQ mainly focussed on wind turbines and hydrogen fuel cells, is that something that is touched upon during that module? I would love to learn more about them :smile:

Sustainable way of living and using physics to acheive that is great, and a lot of unis are all for that now :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Ghostlady
Daughter is already a 4th year Grizedale particle physics student at Lancaster, and is wanting to apply for her phd here as well as the northwest area for 2024 :smile:
Her alevels she took was physics, maths, further maths and chemistry and joined when it was the covid year of 2020.

I assume your daughter enjoyed the uni and her degree then?! My daughter has just applied for Physics (her interest is Particle, whilst everone else seems to be Astro!).
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by zcapp
I assume your daughter enjoyed the uni and her degree then?! My daughter has just applied for Physics (her interest is Particle, whilst everone else seens to be Astro!).

Shes is loving the degree :smile: First year everyone learns the same and the the foundations of degree physics, like relativity, vectors etc. But then second year she will be able to choose more modules. They re named the degree under the physics umbrella, but the module choices are the same. Second year she did particle and cosmology. now shes doing particle and cosmology 3. loved flavour physics, that was one of her faves. First year she asked her supervisor re internship and although they dont give paid ones to 1st years, she offered to do a voluntary one and she did it remotely for 2 weeks for the uni on Tau neutrinos. Second year she got a paid one one with the uni on proton decay. 3rd year she wanted to stay on campus for the summer (close to her boyfriend) so she got a job in retail at the local primark and she stayed on campus as two of the colleges offer this (and you dont have to be a member of that college) and she stayed in bowland main. shes still working weekends at primark, but plans to give it up after christmas as lent term will be intense with her dissatation. Final year shes at Chancellors wharf which is uni owned accommoation in the city and has lovely views of the canal.
She did find 2nd year a little tough due to health and personal issues, but the uni wow they have been brilliant and really worked together with her in 3rd year and she got a first, and now averaging at 2:1.
She plans to do a phd and the uni have a few positions there. Some are funded, others are competition funded. Shes also planning to apply to others, and try and get something over the summer physics related, be at Lancaster, uk or abroad.

Her friendship groups are a pub quiz team in the city and her physics group. Some of which are here in the the physics society christmas photo (this is available on f/b public physics society forum)
319013067_573918774741201_533322264592404354_n.jpg
Hello, I'm applying for Physics! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths... I really wish I took further maths though :/
Original post by sadfailure
Hello, I'm applying for Physics! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths... I really wish I took further maths though :/

Thats ok, there was plenty of students studying physics who had not took the further maths. They learn the further maths thats needed for physics in first year so you will catch up :smile: I would say if you are to choose Lancaster, around the summer time to add to facebook fresher groups and from there they can add you to the whats apps and snapchats and there will be physics groups. Or instead you can meet others during lectures and form your groups that way. Then should you have a problem sheet thats tricky, you can chat with other students to help solve it. Theres also workshops as well to help :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Thats ok, there was plenty of students studying physics who had not took the further maths. They learn the further maths thats needed for physics in first year so you will catch up :smile: I would say if you are to choose Lancaster, around the summer time to add to facebook fresher groups and from there they can add you to the whats apps and snapchats and there will be physics groups. Or instead you can meet others during lectures and form your groups that way. Then should you have a problem sheet thats tricky, you can chat with other students to help solve it. Theres also workshops as well to help :smile:

Thank you!! This is really helpful!

Hi! It’s great to know you’re applying for physics! I’m currently a physics phd student at Lancaster University and I did my undergrad there too!

I was the same as you as I didn’t take Further Maths at A Level, but don’t worry! The first year is when the physics department have modules to get everyone up to the same level with maths so any maths that would be relevant to the physics degree will be covered!

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi @Lancaster Student Ambassador,
I've received an invitation to interview letter for physics (yay!!!) and I would quite like to do the MPhys but on UCAS it wouldn't give me that as an option: only the BSc - is this something I could discuss on the day? My head of year said that would be a good option since it might be a problem on my end as there was only the option for F340 as compared to F321 (which I wanted to apply for) but I just wanted to clarify here as I don't want to mess up the interview and there would likely be an opportunity for me to switch into the masters while there.
Reply 55
I've received an invitation to interview letter for physics (yay!!!) and I would quite like to do the MPhys but on UCAS it wouldn't give me that as an option: only the BSc - is this something I could discuss on the day? My head of year said that would be a good option since it might be a problem on my end as there was only the option for F340 as compared to F321 (which I wanted to apply for) but I just wanted to clarify here as I don't want to mess up the interview and there would likely be an opportunity for me to switch into the masters while there.

Hi!
When did you apply?
Option for MPhys was available on UCAS for us, was it general physics you were looking for?!
Is the interview online or in person?
Thank you!

I had the same problem! my teacher just said to switch up in person since its better than switching down into BSc but i don't know if that helps you. nice to meet a fellow theoretical phys student!
Original post by zcapp
Hi!
When did you apply?
Option for MPhys was available on UCAS for us, was it general physics you were looking for?!
Is the interview online or in person?
Thank you!

I applied in mid/early September, looking for the Theoretical stream since that is what I want to go into. Not sure if it's a problem on my end but that seems to be the case.
My interview is in person.

Today I also received an interview offer for Physics!! Hoping everything goes well for you, and that you can get your problem sorted out!
Today I also received an interview offer for Physics!! Hoping everything goes well for you, and that you can get your problem sorted out!

Congrats on the interview offer! Good luck for the interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending