The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Applicant Thread 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
I had the same problem! my teacher just said to switch up in person since its better than switching down into BSc but i don't know if that helps you. nice to meet a fellow theoretical phys student!

Thank you for your reply, I am glad to know I am not the only person experiencing this problem and I will probably change into the Masters in person too.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by sadfailure
Today I also received an interview offer for Physics!! Hoping everything goes well for you, and that you can get your problem sorted out!

Congrats to everyone receiving a physics interview offer. Hope the interviews go well!
If you have any questions about studying physics or Lancaster in general, please feel free to ask.
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hey just wanted to know that say if i apply for MSc data science course which requires AAA(and i am predicted A*A*AB) and for some reason they think they cant offer me a place for MSc course, will they still consider offering me a place for BSc Data science?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi @Lancaster Student Ambassador,
I've received an invitation to interview letter for physics (yay!!!) and I would quite like to do the MPhys but on UCAS it wouldn't give me that as an option: only the BSc - is this something I could discuss on the day? My head of year said that would be a good option since it might be a problem on my end as there was only the option for F340 as compared to F321 (which I wanted to apply for) but I just wanted to clarify here as I don't want to mess up the interview and there would likely be an opportunity for me to switch into the masters while there.

Definitely worth mentioning on the day. I would wait after the interview has finished and then ask if they ask if you have any questions. Or see if you can speak to physics admissions whilst you are there.
Glad you got an invite for physics, you will love it at Lancaster, they do make you feel very welcome :smile:
Today I also received an interview offer for Physics!! Hoping everything goes well for you, and that you can get your problem sorted out!

Thats brilliant, you will really enjoy the day at Lancaster :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Definitely worth mentioning on the day. I would wait after the interview has finished and then ask if they ask if you have any questions. Or see if you can speak to physics admissions whilst you are there.
Glad you got an invite for physics, you will love it at Lancaster, they do make you feel very welcome :smile:

Thank you for your reply and advice - I was a bit stuck on what to do as I would really like to study the Masters.
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students considering applying to @Lancaster University for 2024 entry! You can chat with other applicants, and see if you can find someone who could be applying to the same course as you <3! Also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and why you want to apply to this uni!! :smile:

I’m doing an extended diploma in computing, predicted a DDD. I would like to do a degree in software engineering. But I don’t know if meeting just the requirements would get me in.
Wow that's amazing - thanks for keeping me posted about what's happening in the department itself. Super excited to hear back from Lancaster as you're my top choice!

Hi @asqwdfrgthjk

That’s great to hear that Lancaster is your top choice! Do you have any questions about Lancaster Physics?

Thanks
Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Absolutely - I think it is a massive issue that we need to address and I am looking at eventually ending up in some form of sustainable engineering following a degree and probably postgrad, thanks for letting me know about that option - I will probably be taking that as it sounds very interesting. My EPQ mainly focussed on wind turbines and hydrogen fuel cells, is that something that is touched upon during that module? I would love to learn more about them :smile:

Hi @asqwdfrgthjk [br] [br] The modules can vary year on year depending on the lecturers teaching them so we can’t promise that a certain module or topic will be on offer when you get to that stage. However, I can tell you about my experience to give you an idea.

When I was studying Energy we covered topics including steam power, nuclear energy, solar, wind turbines, planets, climate change and hydrogen economy to name a few.

Hope that helps!

Tineke
Original post by zcapp
I assume your daughter enjoyed the uni and her degree then?! My daughter has just applied for Physics (her interest is Particle, whilst everone else seems to be Astro!).

Hi @zcapp [br] [br] That’s great! Best of luck to your daughter with her application. I studied general physics so not astro or particle haha! If you have any questions feel free to let me know!

Tineke
Hello, I'm applying for Physics! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths... I really wish I took further maths though :/

Hi @sadfailure [br] [br] i studied physics at uni with a levels in biology, chemistry, maths and physics. So the same as you! I can reassure you that you do not need further maths to do well! In first year there is a series of maths for physics modules that all students take regardless of what scheme they’re on (ie general, astro, particle..) or whether or not you’ve done further maths or not. This is intentional to ensure that everyone is up to speed and have the same base level by the end of first year to start second year on. These modules cover some things covered in further maths such as complex numbers etc so it may be an easier module if you have done it before but it’s certainly manageable if you haven’t! I graduated with a first class and I am now doing a PhD so I wouldn’t stress about not doing further maths, it won’t hold you back.

If you have any further questions feel free to reply here

Tineke
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @sadfailure [br] [br] i studied physics at uni with a levels in biology, chemistry, maths and physics. So the same as you! I can reassure you that you do not need further maths to do well! In first year there is a series of maths for physics modules that all students take regardless of what scheme they’re on (ie general, astro, particle..) or whether or not you’ve done further maths or not. This is intentional to ensure that everyone is up to speed and have the same base level by the end of first year to start second year on. These modules cover some things covered in further maths such as complex numbers etc so it may be an easier module if you have done it before but it’s certainly manageable if you haven’t! I graduated with a first class and I am now doing a PhD so I wouldn’t stress about not doing further maths, it won’t hold you back.

If you have any further questions feel free to reply here

Tineke

Daughters applying for a phd at Lancaster, particle physics but not sure what part yet. Ideally neutrino/flavour she thinks :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Thats ok, there was plenty of students studying physics who had not took the further maths. They learn the further maths thats needed for physics in first year so you @sadwill catch up :smile: I would say if you are to choose Lancaster, around the summer time to add to facebook fresher groups and from there they can add you to the whats apps and snapchats and there will be physics groups. Or instead you can meet others during lectures and form your groups that way. Then should you have a problem sheet thats tricky, you can chat with other students to help solve it. Theres also workshops as well to help :smile:

Thank you!! This is really helpful!

@sadfailure yes that is a good point thanks @Ghostlady you will regularly get worksheets which are problem sheets based on the lectures which count towards your coursework. In first year this is at a rate of 1 per module per week. Doing around 3 modules at once it’ll be 3 a week. I found it really helpful to work on the worksheets in groups. Especially in the atrium (a large space on the ground floor of the department kitted out with large tables for group work). It was really helpful to be able to bounce ideas off each other. There are also workshops. These are sessions in which the lecturer and some postgrad students are present to help you with any questions you have about the worksheets. Obviously we can’t give you the answer but we can discuss your ideas for tackling the problem and give you some helpful hints. I would really recommend going to the workshops, I found them to be very helpful when I was an undergraduate! Like @Ghostlady has suggested it may be possible to find some freshers groups and physics students group chats on Facebook. I found some before I arrived at Lancaster as a Fresher and found it really reassuring to be able to speak to people in a similar situation to me. I ended up meeting up with some of the physics students that I met online. In the end I met a lot of my friends in lectures or at societies.

If you have any further questions just let me know.

Tineke
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @asqwdfrgthjk [br] [br] The modules can vary year on year depending on the lecturers teaching them so we can’t promise that a certain module or topic will be on offer when you get to that stage. However, I can tell you about my experience to give you an idea.

When I was studying Energy we covered topics including steam power, nuclear energy, solar, wind turbines, planets, climate change and hydrogen economy to name a few.

Hope that helps!

Tineke

Its great to get a perspective on what you'd study, even if its not necessarily available the year I study - thanks

I have a question about interviews - what kind of format is it? Is it mostly question based for physics or more like a guided conversation? I understand you wouldn't be able to give me lots of information and that's completely understandable, but I feel like I'm going to be going in blind since there's very little information online and not much interview support from school for non-medicine applications.
I've received an invitation to interview letter for physics (yay!!!) and I would quite like to do the MPhys but on UCAS it wouldn't give me that as an option: only the BSc - is this something I could discuss on the day? My head of year said that would be a good option since it might be a problem on my end as there was only the option for F340 as compared to F321 (which I wanted to apply for) but I just wanted to clarify here as I don't want to mess up the interview and there would likely be an opportunity for me to switch into the masters while there.

Original post by zcapp
Hi!
When did you apply?
Option for MPhys was available on UCAS for us, was it general physics you were looking for?!
Is the interview online or in person?
Thank you!

I had the same problem! my teacher just said to switch up in person since its better than switching down into BSc but i don't know if that helps you. nice to meet a fellow theoretical phys student!

Hi all @zcapp @asqwdfrgthjk [br] [br] i haven’t heard of this issue on UCAS before, but it does seem to be affecting a few of you. I will ask the physics admissions team to look into it.

when I applied the grade requirements for the bsc were lower than the mphys. I was worried for a levels so I applied for the bsc but really wanted to do the mphys. During my interview I was asked if I wanted to swap to the mphys and I was swapped within days of the interview. The bsc and mphys schemes are the same and you should be able to swap onto the mphys scheme even after you’ve started at Lancaster. This is subject to some requirements. When I was an undergrad you had to be achieving at least a 2:1 and had to decide by 3rd year to swap onto the mphys. According to the current subject brochure the situation is still very similar “We offer a choice of 4 year MPhys Hons degrees and 3 year BSc Hons degrees. Providing you are meeting academic requirements you can easily transfer from 3 to 4 years up until term 2 of your third year.
The additional year in the MPhys degrees contains an extended research project, which is ideal if you are considering studying for a PhD in the future or aiming at
a research-based career outside academia.” I would recommend bringing it up in your interview. It is very likely that your interviewer will be happy to consider swapping you to the mphys at the interview stage :smile:

The interviews are generally in person, unless you have special circumstances ie coming from abroad etc. the interview days are a really good opportunity for you to get a feel for the department and talk to lecturers and current students :smile:

Tineke

@sadfailure [br] [br] that’s great news! Best of luck for your interview! Let us know if you have any questions.

Tineke
Its great to get a perspective on what you'd study, even if its not necessarily available the year I study - thanks

I have a question about interviews - what kind of format is it? Is it mostly question based for physics or more like a guided conversation? I understand you wouldn't be able to give me lots of information and that's completely understandable, but I feel like I'm going to be going in blind since there's very little information online and not much interview support from school for non-medicine applications.

I cant really tell you the question and answer that daughter had, but hers was centred on her personal statement on the topics she put in there, so it just showed that she was not putting something impressive, she knew what she was talking about. And they also talked about the things she did in her personal statement as well. It was very informal. She felt like she was having a chat with someone who shared her passion for the subject and she really enjoyed it.
York was different, they gave one physics question and one maths question and was not around her statement. So i imagine it depends on who you get on the day.
I would say to cover yourself, know your personal statement inside and out, and go over anything you are not too sure on in your alevels so you get a better understanding.
(edited 5 months ago)
Got my offer for BSc Geography today!

Hi!

Well done on your interview offer for Physics! Yes this is definitely something you could discuss on the day after your interview! I have a friend who applied for BSc Physics and switched to MPhys on her interview day! Alternatively I applied for a BSc and once starting at Lancaster University, I was very easily able to switch to an MPhys!

Hope that helps! Good luck for your interview! :smile:

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi!

In the interview, you’re typically asked some questions based on your personal statement. Then you’re also given physics questions but you’re not generally expected to know the answer straight away. The interviewer will guide you through the questions and the most important thing is to verbally talk through your thought process and eventually you should reach the answer with the help of the interviewer. What they’re more interested in is being able to see a logical thought process, not necessarily the right answer straight away! I hope that helps and good luck with your interview! :smile:

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending