The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Applicant Thread 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghostlady
I cant really tell you the question and answer that daughter had, but hers was centred on her personal statement on the topics she put in there, so it just showed that she was not putting something impressive, she knew what she was talking about. And they also talked about the things she did in her personal statement as well. It was very informal. She felt like she was having a chat with someone who shared her passion for the subject and she really enjoyed it.
York was different, they gave one physics question and one maths question and was not around her statement. So i imagine it depends on who you get on the day.
I would say to cover yourself, know your personal statement inside and out, and go over anything you are not too sure on in your alevels so you get a better understanding.

thank you so so much - i completely understand that what's spoken about in the interview can't be shared but not finding anything at all online was stressing me out quite a bit. i'm glad to hear its more conversational as i feel like the pressure of the interview would definitely freak me out, regardless of if its a topic i love.

if you don't mind me asking, what year did your daughter apply? i have an offer from york but don't need to go to interview.

thanks for all your advice!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

In the interview, you’re typically asked some questions based on your personal statement. Then you’re also given physics questions but you’re not generally expected to know the answer straight away. The interviewer will guide you through the questions and the most important thing is to verbally talk through your thought process and eventually you should reach the answer with the help of the interviewer. What they’re more interested in is being able to see a logical thought process, not necessarily the right answer straight away! I hope that helps and good luck with your interview! :smile:

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

thank you for your advice! i think i was mainly worried that there would be no input from the interviewer and i would have to muddle through the question on my own, and what would happen if i just couldn't. glad to hear its not like that though!
Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
thank you so so much - i completely understand that what's spoken about in the interview can't be shared but not finding anything at all online was stressing me out quite a bit. i'm glad to hear its more conversational as i feel like the pressure of the interview would definitely freak me out, regardless of if its a topic i love.

if you don't mind me asking, what year did your daughter apply? i have an offer from york but don't need to go to interview.

thanks for all your advice!

She applied for 2020 year (her interview was november 2019), and she started that year too. The uni was very good at the time despite the restrictions. Shes in 4th year now applying to phds to lancaster and some other unis.
Original post by Anonymous
Got my offer for BSc Geography today!

Hi!

Congratulations on your offer! Let us know if you have any questions about life at Lancaster!

Becky (Lancaster university student ambassador)
Just got an offer for economics! So happy 😁
Original post by upthechels
Just got an offer for economics! So happy 😁

Hey @upthechels
Congrats on your offer!!
If you have any questions in the meantime we are happy to answer them for you :smile:
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)
Reply 86
How quickly did you guys hear about an interview for Physics? - UCAS submitted 3 weeks ago here and so far not heard.
Original post by zcapp
How quickly did you guys hear about an interview for Physics? - UCAS submitted 3 weeks ago here and so far not heard.

It can vary. Going by the eldest and also on previous TSR thread over the years, its been around average 4/5 weeks from when the application went in. There was one where someone did not hear until a little longer and they got told before christmas they had an interview for the january interview slot. They will have had your application, UCAS will have sent to all of your choices, but definitely worth giving a nudge maybe in a couple of weeks time by emailing admissions.
Reply 88
Original post by Ghostlady
It can vary. Going by the eldest and also on previous TSR thread over the years, its been around average 4/5 weeks from when the application went in. There was one where someone did not hear until a little longer and they got told before christmas they had an interview for the january interview slot. They will have had your application, UCAS will have sent to all of your choices, but definitely worth giving a nudge maybe in a couple of weeks time by emailing admissions.

It came today, almost immediately after posting! :smile:
Original post by zcapp
It came today, almost immediately after posting! :smile:

Thats great :smile: definitely check out lancaster uni you tubes channel, theres a recent video on the physics interviews :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students considering applying to @Lancaster University for 2024 entry! You can chat with other applicants, and see if you can find someone who could be applying to the same course as you <3! Also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and why you want to apply to this uni!! :smile:

I have already received an offer to study English literature and Creative writing next year and I'm pretty sure it'll be my first choice!! Literally open to talking with anyone applying, just want to get to know people who I'll be seeing around next year <3
Reply 91
Original post by IvyEl8
Hi!
I study a-level history, geography and English lit/lang and I want to study history at uni :smile:

Hi!! I'm studying histroy and english lit right now and I'm gonna do lit at Lancaster, do you wanna share socials?
Reply 92
Original post by xxizzyg
that’s similar to me!!! i’m doing english language, psychology and history and want to study english language and linguistics :smile:

I've been offerd a place for English literature!! Do you want to share socials? Looking to make friends before I start
Reply 93
omg that exists? what other unis do that?

It does!! I've had an offer from Lancaster and if I put them as my top choice my offer goes from AAB to ABB
Reply 94
Original post by Anonymous
Got my offer for BSc Geography today!

Omg congrats!! I got an offer for English lit, do you maybe wanna exchange socials?
i'm thinkinf of applying here for linguistics - if anyone wants to exchange socials/emails, i'm happy to do so 🙂 (if anyone is also applying to also york, leeds, newcastle, ucl) then we can also exchange socials/emails :biggrin:!
Reply 96
i'm thinkinf of applying here for linguistics - if anyone wants to exchange socials/emails, i'm happy to do so 🙂 (if anyone is also applying to also york, leeds, newcastle, ucl) then we can also exchange socials/emails :biggrin:!

I only just joined student room so I can't send private messages, but my instagram is mialiliee if you want to message me on there!!
Original post by mialiliee
I only just joined student room so I can't send private messages, but my instagram is mialiliee if you want to message me on there!!

dont have insta, but i have bereal + pinterest :smile:
Reply 98
dont have insta, but i have bereal + pinterest :smile:

I have pinterest!!! I think it's mialilystrickleton :smile:
Original post by mialiliee
I have pinterest!!! I think it's mialilystrickleton :smile:

cant find you but my pinterest is emmanuellaslife

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending