The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSt in Practical Ethics

Scroll to see replies

I too have received a rejection 😅 But as the stoics said, focus on what you can change and forget about what you can't
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 41
So sorry to hear that, guys. It sounds like the Red Wedding of application outcomes has begun! 😅
I still haven't received anything, I even still have the magical button. But the rejection might come any moment now.

Have you all received an email or did you find out by checking the self-service portal?
Original post by Dranox
So sorry to hear that, guys. It sounds like the Red Wedding of application outcomes has begun! 😅
I still haven't received anything, I even still have the magical button. But the rejection might come any moment now.
Have you all received an email or did you find out by checking the self-service portal?

I saw that the button disappeared on the portal first, then several minutes later the portal changed from "ready for assessment" to "unsuccessful". An email followed the next minute.

It seems that they're really doing it on a one by one basis.
Reply 43
Original post by Dranox

My fingers are crossed for you!
Reply 44
Original post by gjd800
My fingers are crossed for you!

Thanks, let's see if I survive the night. 😂
Hi All, sorry to hear @gjd800 and @dracollavenore.

I have just received an offer, but remember I was waitlisted last year and then ultimately did not receive a place so this is my second attempt.
Reply 46
Original post by babybarista1
Hi All, sorry to hear @gjd800 and @dracollavenore.
I have just received an offer, but remember I was waitlisted last year and then ultimately did not receive a place so this is my second attempt.

Whoa, that's amazing! Fantastic to hear you got in! Huge congratulations! All your effort has finally paid off! That's the first one in the group! Was the offer by email?

P.S. Did you receive my email reply, just wanna confirm it reached you. 😛
Original post by Dranox
Whoa, that's amazing! Fantastic to hear you got in! Huge congratulations! All your effort has finally paid off! That's the first one in the group! Was the offer by email?
P.S. Did you receive my email reply, just wanna confirm it reached you. 😛

Thank you very much. Yes the offer came by email then you have to log into the portal to accept the offer.

I did receive your email thank you, I will reply just had a very busy day out of the office today.
Reply 48
Hi everyone, another applicant here... 🙂 Congrats to everyone who got an offer and heads up to those who got a rejection - I think I'll follow shortly.... I'm just so curious because I've never heard of it before: What is the button theory? Which button are you talking about?
Original post by Dranox
Thanks, let's see if I survive the night. 😂

Hi @Dranox have you received a decision?
Original post by jp1009
Hi everyone, another applicant here... 🙂 Congrats to everyone who got an offer and heads up to those who got a rejection - I think I'll follow shortly.... I'm just so curious because I've never heard of it before: What is the button theory? Which button are you talking about?

In essence there is a theory that if you look into the graduate applicant portal and then into the course to view your application you should see a supporting documents button if you click on that then if you see the "upload new supporting document" button it means a decision has not yet been made on your application. From the Postgraduate Applicant thread for Oxford it seems that generally speaking that button disappears when a decision has been made, sometimes this is 30 minutes to an hour before you receive the decision email in some cases a week. In rare cases you may get the email and the button will not disappear at all so it is not guaranteed. It also seems to be the case the portal gets updated around 30 minutes to 1 hour before you receive the email so in theory if you were constantly checking the portal then you would know the decision before you receive the email.
Reply 51
Oh, cool, so there's somebody else here who also didn't get a response, good to know that I'm not alone. 😅

As for the button theory - do you know when you log into your Self-Service Portal and you click on your application, you see "Add additional supporting documents"?
If you click on that and scroll down to the bottom, you can see an option to add additional documents (one of them is Transcript, I don't remember the second one). If that button disappears, the legend goes, it is the omen of the big things to come. It might mean that your offer/rejection is coming soon.

But it's a theory that doesn't work for everyone is it's more of an urban legend. :P
Reply 52
Thank you! I've never heard of this theory before, but it sounds reasonable! Just saw that my button is gone too, but I'll keep you updated! Is your button still there? And when did you all apply? I took the end of March deadline, so it's actually way too early. I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you if you know anything new :smile:
Reply 53
Hi @Dranox have you received a decision?

Alas, still nothing! xD

But I did just get an offer from the University of Edinburgh, so that's really cool. 🤓
Reply 54
Oh, I take it back... Buttons still there...
Reply 55
Original post by Dranox
Alas, still nothing! xD
But I did just get an offer from the University of Edinburgh, so that's really cool. 🤓

Congrats!
Original post by Dranox
Alas, still nothing! xD

Awesome, re the University of Edinburgh. I checked before and when I was waitlisted before they did not contact me until mid-April so I would not worry too much I think it takes time to go through everyone.
Original post by jp1009
Thank you! I've never heard of this theory before, but it sounds reasonable! Just saw that my button is gone too, but I'll keep you updated! Is your button still there? And when did you all apply? I took the end of March deadline, so it's actually way too early. I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you if you know anything new :smile:

Hey yes I applied for the January deadline and received an offer but that was around 9 and half weeks after the deadline so for a March deadline you would be looking at maybe hearing towards the end of May.
Reply 58
Awesome, re the University of Edinburgh. I checked before and when I was waitlisted before they did not contact me until mid-April so I would not worry too much I think it takes time to go through everyone.

Yeah, I was really thinking about your last year's situation and I already started thinking "okay, offers and rejections for the Jan deadline have been made, so how many days should I wait before emailing them to ask about my status". 😂
But I guess I should just steel myself and patiently wait another couple of weeks before reaching out to them.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Dranox
Yeah, I was really thinking about your last year's situation and I already started thinking "okay, offers and rejections for the Jan deadline have been made, so how many days should I wait before emailing them to ask about my status". 😂
But I guess I should just steel myself and patiently wait another couple of weeks before reaching out to them.

Yes absolutely, as frustrating as it is patience is the key here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending