The Student Room Group

Ucl clearing 2024

due to familial troubles, i wasnt able to sit a levels next year and will be sitting next year as a private candidate with no predicted grades. I am hoping to achieve A*A*A*A next year and was wondering if i stand a chance getting into law LLB at UCL next year through clearing? Has this ever happened before, i know its unlikely but i would like to see if someone has ever managed to get into UCL law through clearing?
The odds of UCL participating in clearing in the first place are extremely slim - I think they had a few places available through clearing plus this year though - but if they have any courses I guarantee they will be less popular and competitive courses. Something like law is almost certainly not going to be in clearing I think.

Just apply in the regular admissions cycle and have your academic referee explain why you don't have any predicted grades.
Reply 2
the issue is that i have no academic referee having left sixth form in 2022 due to aforementioned familial struggles, my predicteds from that time were really bad so i doubt any teacher/academic referee from that time will not remember me fondly. My dream situation is gettiong into either UCL or King's law with exceptional A levels, and if not possible then Warwick or Glasgow. A friend of mine got into UCL after drafting them an email of some sort so....
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
The odds of UCL participating in clearing in the first place are extremely slim - I think they had a few places available through clearing plus this year though - but if they have any courses I guarantee they will be less popular and competitive courses. Something like law is almost certainly not going to be in clearing I think.

Just apply in the regular admissions cycle and have your academic referee explain why you don't have any predicted grades.

also additional question: Do i have any chance applying with no predicteds at all. (probs not but worth asking)
Original post by AHAWA
also additional question: Do i have any chance applying with no predicteds at all. (probs not but worth asking)

Original post by AHAWA
the issue is that i have no academic referee having left sixth form in 2022 due to aforementioned familial struggles, my predicteds from that time were really bad so i doubt any teacher/academic referee from that time will not remember me fondly. My dream situation is gettiong into either UCL or King's law with exceptional A levels, and if not possible then Warwick or Glasgow. A friend of mine got into UCL after drafting them an email of some sort so....

So you need an academic referee no matter what - this is a mandatory part of the UCAS application.

What your chances are without predicted grades I'm not sure, the issue is then they only have your previous attempt(s) to go by unless your academic referee is able to give some indication of expected outcome for resits.

You may want to plan on taking a gap year and applying then if you can't realistically get predicted grades or an academic referee lined up in time to apply this year.
Reply 5
So you need an academic referee no matter what - this is a mandatory part of the UCAS application.

What your chances are without predicted grades I'm not sure, the issue is then they only have your previous attempt(s) to go by unless your academic referee is able to give some indication of expected outcome for resits.

You may want to plan on taking a gap year and applying then if you can't realistically get predicted grades or an academic referee lined up in time to apply this year.

Got it! I take care of my elderly parents so i guess that makes me a young carer. Ill just apply with my bad predicteds and a great personal statement and if that doesnt work out, ill apply the year following which leads to my final question: If im not accepted due to bad predicteds, am i likely to face prejudice based on my bad predicteds if i chose to reapply for entry in 2025 with my then achieved a levels? or is it ok?
Original post by AHAWA
Got it! I take care of my elderly parents so i guess that makes me a young carer. Ill just apply with my bad predicteds and a great personal statement and if that doesnt work out, ill apply the year following which leads to my final question: If im not accepted due to bad predicteds, am i likely to face prejudice based on my bad predicteds if i chose to reapply for entry in 2025 with my then achieved a levels? or is it ok?

No, outside of a small number of health professions courses, there are no disadvantages with reapplying to the course again in a gap year (provided you meet the requirements at that point of course!).
Reply 7
No, outside of a small number of health professions courses, there are no disadvantages with reapplying to the course again in a gap year (provided you meet the requirements at that point of course!).

Thanks. Im gonna take the LNAT and aim to get my desired grades, on results day, ring up UCL, King's, Warwick or Glasgow, citing my grades and Lnat mark and if that doesnt result in anything, wait another year. Thank you for helping provide clarity!
Original post by AHAWA
Thanks. Im gonna take the LNAT and aim to get my desired grades, on results day, ring up UCL, King's, Warwick or Glasgow, citing my grades and Lnat mark and if that doesnt result in anything, wait another year. Thank you for helping provide clarity!

Calling up on results day to unis won't make any difference unless they are in clearing. However if they are then it's a reasonable option :smile:

Although I'd note Warwick is not especially well known for its law course (better known for maths/business/economics/CS).
Reply 9
AH ok got it! kings is known to do clearing so thats my best bet. Thank you so much! will attempt UCL though, just for the sake of it haha, Thanks!
Calling up on results day to unis won't make any difference unless they are in clearing. However if they are then it's a reasonable option :smile:

Although I'd note Warwick is not especially well known for its law course (better known for maths/business/economics/CS).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending