The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2024 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talia23567
I applied yesterday and have revived an email to invite me for an interview from UCL!!

Congrats! What subject have you applied for?
I'm applying for History at UCL, Cambridge, St Mary's Twickenham and a local SCITT in west London. Had a slight issue with my personal statement where it didn't format correctly after submitting - so had to withdraw all my applications and re-apply to my choices once the formatting issues were sorted... Hoping that won't cause any issues, especially as that's what the Get Into Teaching helpline suggested I do...

Hating the waiting game like so many others lol, I'm so impatient when it comes to stuff like this
I got an email about a “casual phone call” with one of my training providers… do they do this with candidates or if it a shortlist before they shortlist for interviews? I haven’t heard back from anyone else and I’m so nervous and anxious
Original post by auroragroh
I got an email about a “casual phone call” with one of my training providers… do they do this with candidates or if it a shortlist before they shortlist for interviews? I haven’t heard back from anyone else and I’m so nervous and anxious

I've never heard anywhere do that. I would hate it so much! Video calls I'm fine with, but for some reason, phone calls just feel so much worse! Is that at a uni or a school direct course?

I am so impatient this week. I've only got two "we are considering your application now" emails from York and Sunderland. Nothing at all from Newcastle or Durham yet. Hopefully though with me doing maths, which isn't exactly competitive, things don't take too long.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by auroragroh

My friend did from Exeter! But she got an official interview next week. Her and I had never heard of places doing that, it was really weird. But she said it was fine and no pressure. I’m guessing it is just shortlisting and making sure you know what your applying for and the stress and the job etc. x
Original post by Uni_student3132
I've never heard anywhere do that. I would hate it so much! Video calls I'm fine with, but for some reason, phone calls just feel so much worse! Is that at a uni or a school direct course?

I am so impatient this week. I've only got two "we are considering your application now" emails from York and Sunderland. Nothing at all from Newcastle or Durham yet. Hopefully though with me doing maths, which isn't exactly competitive, things don't take too long.

I got the same from York yesterday x
Original post by Ndienfnkwnd
I got the same from York yesterday x

Yay! They are actively considering both of our applications :biggrin:

I love York but probably my third choice just because of the distance, although I did like that they let me suggest a school that I would prefer to be at. I'm sure the distance is manageable though, someone at a school I got experience in had to consider commuting a similar distance due to a lack of accommodation at York.
Yay! They are actively considering both of our applications :biggrin:

I love York but probably my third choice just because of the distance, although I did like that they let me suggest a school that I would prefer to be at. I'm sure the distance is manageable though, someone at a school I got experience in had to consider commuting a similar distance due to a lack of accommodation at York.

That’s fair enough! It’s my top choice, just as I’m moving to York anyway! And it’s a great university. I totally get what you mean with the distance though. Let me know if they give you an interview!
That’s fair enough! It’s my top choice, just as I’m moving to York anyway! And it’s a great university. I totally get what you mean with the distance though. Let me know if they give you an interview!

The journey is probably something I'd try out beforehand just to see if I can manage the distance, but I just don't want to spend the £28,000 or £30,000 bursary straight away on both a car and rent. I'm hoping to live at home to save money (parents' idea, I didn't pressure them into that haha). Durham is my top choice, but that is solely because of distance.

And yes, I'll post here when I get an interview from anywhere, including York!
(edited 6 months ago)
The journey is probably something I'd try out beforehand just to see if I can manage the distance, but I just don't want to spend the £28,000 or £30,000 bursary straight away on both a car and rent. I'm hoping to live at home to save money (parents' idea, I didn't pressure them into that haha)

And yes, I'll post here when I get an interview from anywhere, including York!

Yeah that’s fair enough, I totally get that! I’d get a 10K bursary, so would help with the costs of placement.
Yeah that’s fair enough, I totally get that! I’d get a 10K bursary, so would help with the costs of placement.

Maths is really lucky with the government just throwing money at us. Don't think I would be as happy to go into teaching if I didn't get that much money.
My friend did from Exeter! But she got an official interview next week. Her and I had never heard of places doing that, it was really weird. But she said it was fine and no pressure. I’m guessing it is just shortlisting and making sure you know what your applying for and the stress and the job etc. x

Yeah I’m not sure of what to make of it tbh.
I’m doesn’t help that I’m super nervous as I haven’t received anything from the other places that I have applied to and friends of mine have already been asked for interviews:frown:
Maths is really lucky with the government just throwing money at us. Don't think I would be as happy to go into teaching if I didn't get that much money.

I get that!
Reply 53
Has anyone been asked by ucl to upload copies of degree and transcript etc also gcse maths and English certificates?
Original post by Scary
Has anyone been asked by ucl to upload copies of degree and transcript etc also gcse maths and English certificates?

Is this an issue for you? I think this is something everywhere should be asking for, either uploaded online or brought to interviews.
Reply 55
Is this an issue for you? I think this is something everywhere should be asking for, either uploaded online or brought to interviews.

Not an issue, no I thought they would only really want to see this if an offer was given, not before any potential interview. Also does not having a degree automatically prove you have at least a c in gcse mathematics or English if you are a British home student, due to that being a very common entry requirement for first degree courses?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Scary

Yeah, the email came through at 2am or something! Only issue is that I can't log into the portal, even after multiple password resets...
I got an interview at Leeds for Primary PGCE, next Wednesday!
Original post by HistoryGuy232
Congrats! What subject have you applied for?

Citizenship
Original post by Scary

Yes I have aswell but can’t login into the portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending