The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2024 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Original post by HistoryGuy232
Yeah, the email came through at 2am or something! Only issue is that I can't log into the portal, even after multiple password resets...
Original post by Ndienfnkwnd
I got an interview at Leeds for Primary PGCE, next Wednesday!

Well done!!! You got this!
Original post by Talia23567

Spoiler

Not sure whether you've already spoken to anybody, but I went on a live chat with the IT service desk (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/chat/logmein/) and they escalated it to be sorted out. They haven't got back to me yet about whether it's resolved, but at least it's progress.
Reply 63
Not sure whether you've already spoken to anybody, but I went on a live chat with the IT service desk (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/chat/logmein/) and they escalated it to be sorted out. They haven't got back to me yet about whether it's resolved, but at least it's progress.

I've had the same issue and also spoke to someone yesterday but on the phone. Just joined onto this thread because I thought I was the only one going through it. Apparently they're having some issues with registration so not our fault or anything. Just a bit nerve-wracking since they want things submitted by the 18th :frown:.
Original post by ECS3113
I've had the same issue and also spoke to someone yesterday but on the phone. Just joined onto this thread because I thought I was the only one going through it. Apparently they're having some issues with registration so not our fault or anything. Just a bit nerve-wracking since they want things submitted by the 18th :frown:.

Did they sort it out on the phone or did they say to wait???
Reply 65
Did they sort it out on the phone or did they say to wait???

They said I just have to wait until I get a response about it. They were struggling too and couldn't do much other than escalate it to someone else..

Been checking my emails all day and nothing yet :frown:

Hopefully we'll all get it sorted on Monday
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi everyone. I am quite new to this but have been interested in teaching for a long time, doing little bits here and there when I was a university student.

I am interested in getting into secondary-school teaching. The applications for a 2024 start are now open. For my subject (biology) there are bursaries (£25.000). Are these on a first-come-first-serve basis and anyone who meets the requirements gets this, with the possible outcome that towards the application deadline these bursaries might be gone and even if you are a very strong candidate exceeding the requirements you then won't get a bursary?
Or can you apply until the deadline and only then they start allocating bursaries based on your CV/academic record if they have more applicants for that subject than bursaries?

Secondly, I am an EU national with settled status. I've been in the UK for 11 years now. I am looking at tuition fees and I always thought that I would pay the same as home students (because I hadn't seen any info that showed otherwise), but it seems that some universities are now (since Brexit) charging EU students a higher fee than home students. I'm taking a look at Manchester, as this is near to me, and tuition for EU students (who started this year) is an eyewatering £22.000 :eek:: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/11519/pgce-secondary-biology/

Does anyone know any more about tuition fees for EU nationals? I think it depends on the university, some might be cheaper than Manchester? But if you need to turn up in person for the teaching, obviously you're going to be limited to what is within commuting distance of where you live. There are bursaries for Biology but the £25.000 would basically just cover my tuition. How am I expected to support myself during the year of this training?
Reply 67
Does anyone know how to get a copy of lost gcse certificates, reason is I’m living in China at the moment so it’s a bit difficult to find them.
Original post by Scary
Does anyone know how to get a copy of lost gcse certificates, reason is I’m living in China at the moment so it’s a bit difficult to find them.

https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate ?
Original post by -AlphaOmega-
Hi everyone. I am quite new to this but have been interested in teaching for a long time, doing little bits here and there when I was a university student.

I am interested in getting into secondary-school teaching. The applications for a 2024 start are now open. For my subject (biology) there are bursaries (£25.000). Are these on a first-come-first-serve basis and anyone who meets the requirements gets this, with the possible outcome that towards the application deadline these bursaries might be gone and even if you are a very strong candidate exceeding the requirements you then won't get a bursary?
Or can you apply until the deadline and only then they start allocating bursaries based on your CV/academic record if they have more applicants for that subject than bursaries?

Secondly, I am an EU national with settled status. I've been in the UK for 11 years now. I am looking at tuition fees and I always thought that I would pay the same as home students (because I hadn't seen any info that showed otherwise), but it seems that some universities are now (since Brexit) charging EU students a higher fee than home students. I'm taking a look at Manchester, as this is near to me, and tuition for EU students (who started this year) is an eyewatering £22.000 :eek:: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/11519/pgce-secondary-biology/

Does anyone know any more about tuition fees for EU nationals? I think it depends on the university, some might be cheaper than Manchester? But if you need to turn up in person for the teaching, obviously you're going to be limited to what is within commuting distance of where you live. There are bursaries for Biology but the £25.000 would basically just cover my tuition. How am I expected to support myself during the year of this training?
Bursaries are paid on a monthly basis during the course, there isn't a finite amount. If you qualify for a bursary, you receive it. I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your questions about tuition fees though, other than that for home students the undergraduate system of a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan still applies despite it being a postgraduate course.
Original post by -AlphaOmega-

I'm not too sure where things currently stand with regard to tuition fees, but have you considered exploring salaried routes into teaching like Teach First and Schools Direct (Salaried) who will very often cover the cost of your tuition fees anyway? There are also new Teaching Apprenticeships which I've heard are really good, also salaried. If you're working already, this might be the ideal route in for you so that you don't have to rely on a student loan for the year.

I would really recommend applying for a Teacher Training Adviser through the Department for Education, as they'd definitely be able to answer this for you. Mine has genuinely been so helpful. You can either call the Get Into Teaching line or you can register online and they might be a bit more help.
I'm not too sure where things currently stand with regard to tuition fees, but have you considered exploring salaried routes into teaching like Teach First and Schools Direct (Salaried) who will very often cover the cost of your tuition fees anyway? There are also new Teaching Apprenticeships which I've heard are really good, also salaried. If you're working already, this might be the ideal route in for you so that you don't have to rely on a student loan for the year.

I would really recommend applying for a Teacher Training Adviser through the Department for Education, as they'd definitely be able to answer this for you. Mine has genuinely been so helpful. You can either call the Get Into Teaching line or you can register online and they might be a bit more help.

Hi, thanks a lot! I already called with one and he had a lot of useful info, but I guess the aspect of salaried training didn't stick (I did take a bunch of notes as there was so much info he shared with me in the call!). I will for sure look at this, thanks!
I got asked for a ‘casual’ call with one of the providers I had applied which took place on Friday just gone (13th) the call was really positive and the lady said now the next step would be to arrange an interview and someone will contact you Monday to do this… well Monday is here and I have heard nothing :frown: does this mean I didn’t get an interview?
Guys I am really stressed, the deadline to upload documents to UCL's portal is on Wednesday and I still do not have access to the portal!! HELP
Guys I am really stressed, the deadline to upload documents to UCL's portal is on Wednesday and I still do not have access to the portal!! HELP

It's stressing me out so much! I've heard nothing today, meaning I have tomorrow to hear back before it's too late.

If this is an issue that loads of applicants are having (which it seems to be) then you'd have thought they'd send an email to say not to worry and that they're sorting it all out.

Are there other UCL applicants having the same issue? Or anybody who has heard back...?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by auroragroh
I got asked for a ‘casual’ call with one of the providers I had applied which took place on Friday just gone (13th) the call was really positive and the lady said now the next step would be to arrange an interview and someone will contact you Monday to do this… well Monday is here and I have heard nothing :frown: does this mean I didn’t get an interview?

I honestly reckon they just didn't get round to sending you the email. I would definitely check your junk/spam folder just in case.

If you don't hear back by tomorrow evening, I would maybe follow up with an email just to say that you still haven't heard back and you were told you'd be contacted yesterday, etc.
I honestly reckon they just didn't get round to sending you the email. I would definitely check your junk/spam folder just in case.

If you don't hear back by tomorrow evening, I would maybe follow up with an email just to say that you still haven't heard back and you were told you'd be contacted yesterday, etc.

Thank you! Yeah I did think that maybe I was being a bit too dramatic about it, I’m just super nervous. I do have another interview which was offered to me today which is definitely a plus as this was at my first choice.

I will see what happens tomorrow and if nothing maybe chase up - I just don’t want to be annoying as I’m sure they’re all busy!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by auroragroh

Monday is very optimistic, expect it by next Monday maybe.

Call them, ask for an extension to the deadline. Ask for the extension to be made in writing.
Reply 78
Original post by 04MR17
Monday is very optimistic, expect it by next Monday maybe.

Call them, ask for an extension to the deadline. Ask for the extension to be made in writing.

I have the exact issue. I could not get into the portal at all. This is what they got back to me with : Please note there is an ongoing issue with some users having Portico access issues.

Admissions have confirmed Portico access will not affect your application in any way nor will your application be rejected and there is more than enough time to upload the necessary documents when the issue is solved.

I'm still really nervous as I actually don't know when it will be solved :frown:
Original post by study2
I have the exact issue. I could not get into the portal at all. This is what they got back to me with : Please note there is an ongoing issue with some users having Portico access issues.

Admissions have confirmed Portico access will not affect your application in any way nor will your application be rejected and there is more than enough time to upload the necessary documents when the issue is solved.

I'm still really nervous as I actually don't know when it will be solved :frown:

If it's not sorted by noon tomorrow, ring them up as I have advised above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending