The Student Room Group

How can I do A-levels from home?

I want to do: Biology, Chemistry and Maths A-levels from home because I struggle to go to an actual college. How can I self-learn for the lowest cost possible? I am not rich at all. I can't afford most of these online learning places. Please help :frown:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Shushhhh12
I want to do: Biology, Chemistry and Maths A-levels from home because I struggle to go to an actual college. How can I self-learn for the lowest cost possible? I am not rich at all. I can't afford most of these online learning places. Please help :frown:

For all around help generally, I would say use the SaveMyExams website and go along with the specification of each of your subjects to make sure you know what you need to be learning. For all of your subjects, you'll strongly benefit from completing lots of exam style questions as you go; I believe that these are provided on the SaveMyExams website, but there are lots of past papers online. It can be worth using the AS level papers for first year content too.

In terms of subject specific resources, for biology I've heard amazing things about the Miss Estruch youtube channel. I did AQA and found the essay videos particularly helpful. For chemistry, I would recommend the CGP book if possible but I mostly used SaveMyExams. For maths, it's the practise that matters more than anything. For learning the content however, I'd say to have a look at the Bicen Maths youtube channel. Also, the MadasMaths website is excellent for past paper style questions. If you are taking Edexcel then for a textbook, I'd use the Pearson published ones, they're split up by module (core, applied) and by year so you would end up with 4 textbooks overall. Most of my textbooks were second-hand, either by friends or Facebook marketplace so asking around could be helpful, or even looking on eBay.

One extra cost of sitting practical sciences on top of the actual exams is often the practical endorsement. It can be particularly hard to find a school that will allow you to use their labs, and in which you can be assessed. I went through my college so I don't know very much about this but would suggest having a look into it, or if possible (I don't know if it is) studying for an exam board that does not include a practical endorsement.

I hope that these suggestions look helpful to you. Best of luck in self-studying!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by laraxh
For all around help generally, I would say use the SaveMyExams website and go along with the specification of each of your subjects to make sure you know what you need to be learning. For all of your subjects, you'll strongly benefit from completing lots of exam style questions as you go; I believe that these are provided on the SaveMyExams website, but there are lots of past papers online. It can be worth using the AS level papers for first year content too.

In terms of subject specific resources, for biology I've heard amazing things about the Miss Estruch youtube channel. I did AQA and found the essay videos particularly helpful. For chemistry, I would recommend the CGP book if possible but I mostly used SaveMyExams. For maths, it's the practise that matters more than anything. For learning the content however, I'd say to have a look at the Bicen Maths youtube channel. Also, the MadasMaths website is excellent for past paper style questions. If you are taking Edexcel then for a textbook, I'd use the Pearson published ones, they're split up by module (core, applied) and by year so you would end up with 4 textbooks overall. Most of my textbooks were second-hand, either by friends or Facebook marketplace so asking around could be helpful, or even looking on eBay.

One extra cost of sitting practical sciences on top of the actual exams is often the practical endorsement. It can be particularly hard to find a school that will allow you to use their labs, and in which you can be assessed. I went through my college so I don't know very much about this but would suggest having a look into it, or if possible (I don't know if it is) studying for an exam board that does not include a practical endorsement.

I hope that these suggestions look helpful to you. Best of luck in self-studying!

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest