The Student Room Group

A* in biology but I feel ‘guilty’ for some reason

All year round, I’ve been achieving As and A*s in biology. (I’m going into yr13 in September).
I’ve never gotten anything lower than an A, and I do truly work very hard.
I had mocks in June/July and I revised my ass off for these exams. I did every single biology past paper available. I printed them all out, answered them all and marked them all and drove myself mad from revising.

When I sat the exam, I felt so great having done so much revision and so many of the questions that I did for revision coming up. This happened in both paper 1 and paper 2. As a result of this, I got the highest in the year group, achieving 90% on both papers put together.
The teacher did make the grade boundaries higher than usual, because he knew that many students revise off websites such as physics and maths tutor and so the students who did, would have found the paper easier as they have come across the questions before
I recall the grade boundaries for an A* was something like 86%, which is ridiculously high, and I think I was the only one in my class to have achieved an A*. Everyone else got As and Bs.

Unfortunately, for some reason, I feel guilty because so many of the questions that I used for revision had came up in the test. I do not memorise the markscheme - well, for some 6 markers I do because the mark scheme is picky as hell - but for the other questions I ensure that I understand it, hence why I remember the answer when the question comes up in the exam. I may also have a bit of photographic memory idk.

I didn’t cheat in any way shape or form, but idk why this keeps lingering inside of me. It’s not an anomaly that I achieved an A* in this mock, or this test. But I just feel weird about it.
Like, what if in the real alevel exam in June, my performances isn’t like that at all?? I’m just scared for some unknown reason
Anxiety around exams and feeling a sort of imposter syndrome when you do well is horrible but very common. I can't give you a solution, but I'd suggest speaking to your teacher about it. As a tutor, I'm always really pleased when my GCSE and A level students memorise mark schemes, because it'll put them at a massive advantage for the exams. It's not cheating at all. I have a friend who's a teacher with a doctorate in science who did a biology paper and only got 93% having taught the syllabus for twenty years, because the exam board are so picky about mark schemes. That means that you have to do what you're doing in order to do well. The other thing is that mocks are designed to show you if your work is paying off and to encourage people who aren't working to work a bit more. You are working and so you deserved the grades you got. If other people didn't do so well, then that meant hey have the opportunity to work for the exams later on. You really deserved the marks you for, the grade you got reflected your work and ability,.and it'll pay off the same way the day of the exam. You're doing really well :smile:
Be kind to yourself, you're doing really well and there's no better way of revising than the way you're doing it.
Reply 2
Original post by ilovechemistry69
All year round, I’ve been achieving As and A*s in biology. (I’m going into yr13 in September).
I’ve never gotten anything lower than an A, and I do truly work very hard.
I had mocks in June/July and I revised my ass off for these exams. I did every single biology past paper available. I printed them all out, answered them all and marked them all and drove myself mad from revising.

When I sat the exam, I felt so great having done so much revision and so many of the questions that I did for revision coming up. This happened in both paper 1 and paper 2. As a result of this, I got the highest in the year group, achieving 90% on both papers put together.
The teacher did make the grade boundaries higher than usual, because he knew that many students revise off websites such as physics and maths tutor and so the students who did, would have found the paper easier as they have come across the questions before
I recall the grade boundaries for an A* was something like 86%, which is ridiculously high, and I think I was the only one in my class to have achieved an A*. Everyone else got As and Bs.

Unfortunately, for some reason, I feel guilty because so many of the questions that I used for revision had came up in the test. I do not memorise the markscheme - well, for some 6 markers I do because the mark scheme is picky as hell - but for the other questions I ensure that I understand it, hence why I remember the answer when the question comes up in the exam. I may also have a bit of photographic memory idk.

I didn’t cheat in any way shape or form, but idk why this keeps lingering inside of me. It’s not an anomaly that I achieved an A* in this mock, or this test. But I just feel weird about it.
Like, what if in the real alevel exam in June, my performances isn’t like that at all?? I’m just scared for some unknown reason

you actually did something that i was jealous of when i did my gcses. i was so bad at using mark schemes to revise (as it is the best way to revise). you did what everyone should do as exam boards design their papers using the system of a repetitive mark scheme so don't feel bad, you got the grade u deserve :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest