The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Doubts about Sheffield Hallam University

Im currently studying biology at Sheffield Hallam University and I’m feeling very underwhelmed about it. They just changed the course modules for second year and removed the modules that made me choose the uni in the first place. Along with this, some of the people in my course are not even putting effort in to the degree and not coming to lectures and just asking for the attendance code (only 5 people showed up to a seminar the other day) and I’m being forced to do group work with them and me and my friend are forced to do most of the work during those projects. I enjoy biology and really want to do it as a degree but I feel like Hallam isn’t the greatest and possibly want to move to University of Sheffield, but I feel like I don’t have the grades to go to uni of and I don’t want to redo first year as I do not have the money to redo it. The thing is as well Hallam is accredited but uni of isn’t. I’m really confused about what to do and my parents won’t help. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Im currently studying biology at Sheffield Hallam University and I’m feeling very underwhelmed about it. They just changed the course modules for second year and removed the modules that made me choose the uni in the first place. Along with this, some of the people in my course are not even putting effort in to the degree and not coming to lectures and just asking for the attendance code (only 5 people showed up to a seminar the other day) and I’m being forced to do group work with them and me and my friend are forced to do most of the work during those projects. I enjoy biology and really want to do it as a degree but I feel like Hallam isn’t the greatest and possibly want to move to University of Sheffield, but I feel like I don’t have the grades to go to uni of and I don’t want to redo first year as I do not have the money to redo it. The thing is as well Hallam is accredited but uni of isn’t. I’m really confused about what to do and my parents won’t help. Does anyone have any advice?

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way, the important thing is that you've discovered this early and are trying to do something about it. I remember having a similar situation in second year with people not turning up for group projects so I pretty much just went to my lecturer in a private meeting and asked about it. They said that when it comes to grading, they've become familiar with each student's work by this point and they can tell how much work each individual has put in. They also said that although attendance isn't counted towards the final grade, they can make a correlation between how much the person had turned up and the quality of the group project because at the end of the day you all get individual grades. As long as you make your lecturer aware of what's going on then they should take that into consideration.

In terms of moving universities, you could enquire and see what the entry requirements are of the place you want to go. Id recommend doing this sooner rather than later but I wouldn't want other people not turning up to be the reason you'd start again because at the end of the day the degree is for you and no one else, you're responsible for your own outcome. If you enjoy what you do then that's what's important. I'm not saying stick it out because if you're unhappy then you're unhappy but it's important to remember that there's a reason you picked it in the first place. There's going to be modules in every year of study that you don't like, there is in my course and I just do them because i enjoy the rest of what I'm doing. At the end of the day no one can make the decision for you but yourself. If you'd like to look at switching then I'd recommend putting the plan in motion to make sure it's all sorted for next year.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,

Lucy has given some great advice.

I just wanted to remind you that we also have academic advisors that you can talk to and get advice from. You should have been told who your Academic Adviser is by a member of your teaching team and will find their contact details on the ‘Key Support Advisers’ section of Blackboard - You can find guidance of how to do this here. If you know who your support advisor is, just drop them an email to make an appointment. They will be linked to your area of study and can provide you with confidential advice.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie (Official Hallam Rep)
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending