The Student Room Group

Ask Us Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello @TypicalNerd , you asked on another thread which college my son had an interview for. It is Wadham. He’s getting a bit anxious particularly as we don’t have the touch screen tech they’re asking for. He’s waiting for school to see if they can provide an IPad and stylus.

He’s also a bit worried as there are topics school haven’t covered yet, particularly in Organic Chemistry. He’s read ahead a bit but would find answering questions on any of these topics difficult. Is it ok to say you haven’t covered something or do they expect you to give it a go anyway?
Original post by Grgy
Hello @TypicalNerd , you asked on another thread which college my son had an interview for. It is Wadham. He’s getting a bit anxious particularly as we don’t have the touch screen tech they’re asking for. He’s waiting for school to see if they can provide an IPad and stylus.

He’s also a bit worried as there are topics school haven’t covered yet, particularly in Organic Chemistry. He’s read ahead a bit but would find answering questions on any of these topics difficult. Is it ok to say you haven’t covered something or do they expect you to give it a go anyway?

Wadham is a lovely college and I know one of the first year chemists there.

I would recommend that he emails the college admissions team (i.e the same email address that sent him the interview invites) to point out that there may be some difficulties with accessing the required technology. In my interviews, I didn't need a stylus for the IPad, but it probably would have been helpful.

EDIT: I also remember that in my second college interview with St Hilda's college in December 2021 that my IPad stopped working at the start of the interview, so I asked if I could access miro from my phone instead, which they allowed me to do. Granted, it made things harder, but I reckon that they took that into account when making a decision for whether to offer me a place or not.

I would recommend he says he hasn't covered x topic yet in his interviews if said topic does come up, but he should bear in mind that some interviewers will not change the topic because they want to see how the applicant thinks in an unfamiliar situation. You also have topics chosen purposefully from the undergraduate course (i.e essentially none of the applicants will have covered these before) where A level knowledge can be applied to solve the problems in question and interviewers will not change these questions at all.
(edited 5 months ago)
@5hyl33n
@TypicalNerd

I know that you guys are busy with your studies and it is your thread you originated, so don't you mind, if I answer some questions here when I can?
Original post by Kallisto
@5hyl33n
@TypicalNerd

I know that you guys are busy with your studies and it is your thread you originated, so don't you mind, if I answer some questions here when I can?

I have no objections to you giving it a go. However, as it is 5hly33n that has masterminded the changes to the chemistry forum, the final decision is hers
@5hyl33n
@TypicalNerd

Go ahead, Kallisto.

Your input will be much appreciated by the TSR Community. I'm sure of it.

Do you mind if I add a short introduction about you on the original post of this thread? What would you like written?

:smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Go ahead, Kallisto.

Your input will be much appreciated by the TSR Community. I'm sure of it.

Do you mind if I add a short introduction about you on the original post of this thread? What would you like written?

:smile:

You can add that I was a former student for chemistry at A levels (almost a decade ago), and that I have a passion for the sciences and for subjects with reference to chemistry in particular. I can and may help occasionally, as long as it is not a question to undergraduates or anything else at university level. The students should not have to high expectations, but I think that I may a good addition to you two guys. :smile:

Write the introduction in a similar way above.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 26
Original post by 5hyl33n
Ask Us Anything!

This is a space designed for you all to ask us (almost) anything chemistry-related.

I'm 5hyl33n, and I will be starting my second-year of undergraduate level chemistry at Cardiff University. Assisting me in answering your questions is TypicalNerd, who will be starting his first-year of undergraduate level chemistry at the University of Oxford.

Before you start posting, please have a read of the rules in post #2.

We look forward to answering your questions!

5hyl33n & TypicalNerd

Hi I just came across a very hard question about the disassociation of a triprotic acid H3A, it's given the ka1 ka2 ka3 and the intial conc. of this acid, and it's asking me to calculate the final conc. of the A3-, which is the ion after three disassociation reactions, I'm struggle to find any relationship, if anyone can help I would be so appreciating
Reply 27
It is fantastic, that you finally created this thread, @5hyl33n! I wish you and of course @TypicalNerd the best and hope for success. Maybe I ask or even answer a question too.

What kinds of questions can be asked? questions about the curriculum? lessons? certain subjects in chemistry?

Hello! I am doing CCEA AS level Chemistry and I can't find any free revision resources online. Does anyone know where I can find any or if there is any good youtube channels about?
Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 28
Tc2(CO)10,valence electron count for Tc in the dimer. how to do this:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest