The Student Room Group

Failed year 12. Resit exams or Retake the year

Hi, I finished year 12 and my grades were horrendous. I talked with my tutor and head of sixth form. I have two options, either retake the yaer or resit two modules of each subject in january and june. My question is if it is too much work to go into year 13 and study the content of year 13 while studying for the resits and if my grades will be high enough to get into a good university.
Reply 1
I think you have to follow your instincts on this and take some advice from your tutor. It depends on the reason you have struggled as well. If it’s lack of effort a concerted push now would allow you to catch up and stay on track. If it’s struggling with content maybe best to consolidate with another year.

I was in a similar situation to you, due to lack of motivation. I pushed on but in truth my effort didn’t go up and I ended up failing. However I subsequently got a grip, resat at college two years later and went on to uni. These struggles and set backs are part of the journey, weigh up the best course of action and you will get there
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
I think you have to follow your instincts on this and take some advice from your tutor. It depends on the reason you have struggled as well. If it’s lack of effort a concerted push now would allow you to catch up and stay on track. If it’s struggling with content maybe best to consolidate with another year.

I was in a similar situation to you, due to lack of motivation. I pushed on but in truth my effort didn’t go up and I ended up failing. However I subsequently got a grip, resat at college two years later and went on to uni. These struggles and set backs are part of the journey, weight up the best course of action and you will get there

Thanks for the message, I am pretty sure I failed due to lack of effort but I really don't know what will happen if I do give all of my efforts going into Year 13 and still not manage to get the grades I want.
Reply 3
Original post by FisherVO
Hi, I finished year 12 and my grades were horrendous. I talked with my tutor and head of sixth form. I have two options, either retake the yaer or resit two modules of each subject in january and june. My question is if it is too much work to go into year 13 and study the content of year 13 while studying for the resits and if my grades will be high enough to get into a good university.

What grades did you get and what subjects?
Reply 4
I got U in maths physics and chemistry and C in Business. My predicted grades are BBB, and i know that I can achieve those grades or higher if i studied.
Reply 5
Original post by Maths_Duck
What grades did you get and what subjects?

I got U in maths physics and chemistry and C in Business. My predicted grades are BBB, and i know that I can achieve those grades or higher if i studied.

Quick Reply

Latest