The Student Room Group

Gap year loneliness

No one told me just how lonely gap years are. I’m not travelling as this was completely unplanned so I’m living at home working. My few friends are all off at university having fun and I have nothing in common with the people at work. I spend every day working or at home. If I go out it’s by myself. I’ve always struggled with mental health, it’s the main reason I messed up my exams and am on this gap year, but pure loneliness is absolutely soul crushing.
What can I do? I don’t find it easy to make friends. Am I alone in feeling like this? If I had known it would be like this I would have given up my dream course and settled for something else.
Hi I am taking a gap year and also struggling with this, I would recommend doing social hobbies or with groups where you can meet likeminded people. If mental health is an issue I would recommend a sport, it doesn't help everyone but for me running has helped me improve my mental health. A team sport could help you meet new people, or you could try a 1 on 1 sport like tennis/ badminton to build better relationships with individual people. If money is an issue volunteering could help you meet likeminded people if you volunteer in areas that you are interested in, as well as just going to social/youth clubs which are normally free like art clubs provided by museums. Sorry if my advice isn't great :smile: If it helps you are working towards your dream and that is better than settling for something you might not enjoy as much in the future
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
yeah same, it will all be over soon
Reply 3
Original post by bigstrong
yeah same, it will all be over soon

This thread is a year old now so I actually started uni in September. I didn’t end up at my dream course or university that I took the gap year for but I am enjoying it all the same.
I want to tell you that it does actually get better. My gap year SUCKED but now I’m at uni and have met a few friends, all I can think is how glad I am that I took it. I would never have been able to meet these people if this didn’t happen and now I can’t imagine my life without them.
I won’t pretend uni is perfect (you can probably find other post of me complaining about stuff there lol) but if you find the right one for you it does get better than this.
Original post by Lucas.Cow
This thread is a year old now so I actually started uni in September. I didn’t end up at my dream course or university that I took the gap year for but I am enjoying it all the same.
I want to tell you that it does actually get better. My gap year SUCKED but now I’m at uni and have met a few friends, all I can think is how glad I am that I took it. I would never have been able to meet these people if this didn’t happen and now I can’t imagine my life without them.
I won’t pretend uni is perfect (you can probably find other post of me complaining about stuff there lol) but if you find the right one for you it does get better than this.
aw thanks for telling me man, i’m happy to hear it all worked out in the end. and yes, everything is really starting to look up now - it think winter just makes things worse. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest