The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Private accomadation manchester

Really dont want to be in oak house. Might have to go private accom for first year. Will this damage my social life? Really upset Im not even allowed to change it as I didnt put it in my 5 options either :frown:
Reply 1
is it just because it looks bad?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
is it just because it looks bad?

Thanks for replying. I really need an en suite. It looks bad but it would not be too bad if an en suite was provided
Reply 3
Original post by gr1927
Thanks for replying. I really need an en suite. It looks bad but it would not be too bad if an en suite was provided

people with medical reasons can usually get en suites by providing a doctors note

do you really need one or would you prefer one for privacy reasons?
Reply 4
people with medical reasons can usually get en suites by providing a doctors note

do you really need one or would you prefer one for privacy reasons?

religious reasons, meaning privacy tbh. Im also not really a drinker and that environment is very party heavy
Reply 5
Original post by gr1927
religious reasons, meaning privacy tbh. Im also not really a drinker and that environment is very party heavy

religious reasons nothing can be done about, unfortunately, but all halls are about equally party-heavy (despite what anyone tells you pre-move in) and if you live in private shared accom you are in no guarantee of avoiding that

im sure you're aware but the reason universities make you pick multiple choices and don't let you change is because en suite accom is always over demanded and lots of people don't get what they want im afraid
Reply 6
you can try and swap with other people pre move in who may have decided they want cheaper halls, but that is a low likelihood strategy
Reply 7
you can try and swap with other people pre move in who may have decided they want cheaper halls, but that is a low likelihood strategy

Ive already tried this and not had much luck. Ive been looking at single flats through facebook ads. But I want to make friends man but I also value my peace of mind
Reply 8
Original post by gr1927
Ive already tried this and not had much luck. Ive been looking at single flats through facebook ads. But I want to make friends man but I also value my peace of mind

unless you plan to spend what'll likely be a very large proportion of your first salary on a studio or 1bed (or move back home), you'll have to share a bathroom one day and most people will tell you its not really that bad
Reply 9
unless you plan to spend what'll likely be a very large proportion of your first salary on a studio or 1bed (or move back home), you'll have to share a bathroom one day and most people will tell you its not really that bad

I have come to terms with this tbh. But I dont even get a sink. And I dont know if the oak house bathrooms have locks for them or if it is like a public bathroom
Original post by gr1927
I have come to terms with this tbh. But I dont even get a sink. And I dont know if the oak house bathrooms have locks for them or if it is like a public bathroom

they all have locks and are private rooms like a normal bathroom at home
Reply 11
they all have locks and are private rooms like a normal bathroom at home

are you a student at the UoM? I really appreciate you answering my thread

Another thing is, I dont drink and I have this impression that it is party central. Dont get me wrong I like parties but I am not big on alcohol. Would I struggle to fit in
Original post by gr1927
are you a student at the UoM? I really appreciate you answering my thread

Another thing is, I dont drink and I have this impression that it is party central. Dont get me wrong I like parties but I am not big on alcohol. Would I struggle to fit in

no, but every hall is the same. oak house is almost a carbon copy of my hall (built around the same time) (warwick)

again, the hall you're in doesn't really affect the level of partying. there are a few exceptions (my university had one hall which was really expensive and called the hotel, but people still partied) but what it comes down to is whether the people you end up living with are partiers and that'll happen regardless of where you live

not drinking alcohol is fine - search for other threads on here about it (lots of people wonder the same) and you'll get some good advice (you'll be fine)

last note: living in halls with a bunch of students is one of the only times you'll get to live with so many like minded people and i think most people who don't get the chance to regret it. i met my best friends at university in our first year hall and i still see them now
Reply 13
no, but every hall is the same. oak house is almost a carbon copy of my hall (built around the same time) (warwick)

again, the hall you're in doesn't really affect the level of partying. there are a few exceptions (my university had one hall which was really expensive and called the hotel, but people still partied) but what it comes down to is whether the people you end up living with are partiers and that'll happen regardless of where you live

not drinking alcohol is fine - search for other threads on here about it (lots of people wonder the same) and you'll get some good advice (you'll be fine)

last note: living in halls with a bunch of students is one of the only times you'll get to live with so many like minded people and i think most people who don't get the chance to regret it. i met my best friends at university in our first year hall and i still see them now

I hope so. My biggest fear of all of this is just not fitting in with that scene. When people say 'social life' it normally consists of alcohol and only alcohol haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending