The Student Room Group

Transferring courses/Compelling Personal Reasons

I am transferring courses after three years at University (2 years + a deferral year) after being withdrawn from my course due to failing (mental health reasons I could not complete work or apply for mitigations). I just wanted to know what my likelihood for getting accepted for Compelling Personal Reasons, as the University Appeals team are asking how I am going to fund the course. I know I have one year of funding left however I have heard that could only be used in my third year (how true this is I don't know). I just wanted to know if there's any use in applying or if I should start saving money and look into private financing. thank you!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by beeambee
I am transferring courses after three years at University (2 years + a deferral year) after being withdrawn from my course due to failing (mental health reasons I could not complete work or apply for mitigations). I just wanted to know what my likelihood for getting accepted for Compelling Personal Reasons, as the University Appeals team are asking how I am going to fund the course. I know I have one year of funding left however I have heard that could only be used in my third year (how true this is I don't know). I just wanted to know if there's any use in applying or if I should start saving money and look into private financing. thank you!

Hi there, How many years is your new course? We can consider Compelling Personal Reasons, the evidence must show the following:
- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from HEP on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, How many years is your new course? We can consider Compelling Personal Reasons, the evidence must show the following:
- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from HEP on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela

Hello,

my new course is 3 years, so I would need two extra years of funding. I have the medical letter already from where I was applying for my appeal. However now they want me to get the CPR in order to accept me. How long does the process usually take?
Hello,

my new course is 3 years, so I would need two extra years of funding. I have the medical letter already from where I was applying for my appeal. However now they want me to get the CPR in order to accept me. How long does the process usually take?

Hi there, The current expected timescale for CPR evidence to be reviewed and processed is 15 working days from the date received. Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Hi there, The current expected timescale for CPR evidence to be reviewed and processed is 15 working days from the date received. Thanks, Angela

Hello,

Would I need to start a new application? As I already have an application in for my previous course that I did before I was withdrawn.
Hello,

Would I need to start a new application? As I already have an application in for my previous course that I did before I was withdrawn.

Hi there, Yes, you would need to apply on a PN1 form as a new student. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Hi there, Yes, you would need to apply on a PN1 form as a new student. Thanks, Angela

Hello,

This may be a silly question, but on the student finance website I can see that I can change my course and year I start at on my original application. Would it be better to do it like this or would it mess everything up?

Many Thanks,
Bryony Race
Hello,

This may be a silly question, but on the student finance website I can see that I can change my course and year I start at on my original application. Would it be better to do it like this or would it mess everything up?

Many Thanks,
Bryony Race

Hi Bryony,

If you're able to update your 23/24 application instead or cancelling it then we'd definitely recommend updating your application if you can.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Bryony,

If you're able to update your 23/24 application instead or cancelling it then we'd definitely recommend updating your application if you can.

Thanks, Graeme

Hello,
The only issue is when I put in the new course and the new study year, it says I would've been doing it for 6 years (2020-2026). Would this end up messing with the system?
Many Thanks,
Bryony
Reply 9
Hello,
The only issue is when I put in the new course and the new study year, it says I would've been doing it for 6 years (2020-2026). Would this end up messing with the system?
Many Thanks,
Bryony

Hello,

So sorry to be a bother but I just wanted to know if I should update my course on student finance? I have my cover letter and evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons ready, and I can write another letter stating that I haven't been doing the course for 6 years and in fact it would be my first year.
Hello,

So sorry to be a bother but I just wanted to know if I should update my course on student finance? I have my cover letter and evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons ready, and I can write another letter stating that I haven't been doing the course for 6 years and in fact it would be my first year.

Hi there, do you mean change the course for 23/24? Have you been able to do this online and have you enrolled on the course yet? Thanks, Jason
Reply 11
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, do you mean change the course for 23/24? Have you been able to do this online and have you enrolled on the course yet? Thanks, Jason

Hello,

I have changed my course online for 23/24 and I am waiting for it to go through. I didn't know if I would mess up the system for myself by doing so as it said I would have been doing the new course since 2020.

Many Thanks,
Bryony
Hello,

I have changed my course online for 23/24 and I am waiting for it to go through. I didn't know if I would mess up the system for myself by doing so as it said I would have been doing the new course since 2020.

Many Thanks,
Bryony

Hi Bryony,

This is entirely up to you. You can upload a cover letter and also explain the changes for the CPR on the letter so the assessor is aware of this, or you can wait until its updated. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending