The Student Room Group

Hookup culture

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious what everyone's thought is on this.

I think nowadays its become kind of like a trend, especially in uni as people have more time and freedom to do the things they want.
Have you ever taken part in it or what do you think about it?
Original post by Anonymous
people have more time and freedom to do the things they want.

They do? How did that happen?
Yes, people definitely have more freedom in university as they can do whatever they want, especially in student accommodations.
I don't really have an opinion on it, I guess people choose what they want to do with their freedom. I think this is when most people lose their virginity for sure. You meet people after a night out in student bars/clubs or even people in your own student accommodation.
It has both pros and cons. I only engaged in it post-university though. As someone who didn't get involved in it until their late 20s, and after multiple failed long-term relationships, it was a good way of figuring out what I was really looking for in a partner without spending too much time chasing dead-ends.
Reply 4
I can already sense how this thread will end.

Anyway, before that happens I think that it's fine. It isn't something I'm into for a variety of reasons but I don't think it's a bad thing for people to do, as long as you're safe and sensible when doing it.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I think nowadays its become kind of like a trend, especially in uni as people have more time and freedom to do the things they want.

'Nowadays it's like a trend'? It's not a new thing; hookup culture has existed for decades, in all walks of life, not just at uni. However if, by your reckoning, students have lots of time and freedom, they have done so for years and therefore been hooking up for that period, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending