The Student Room Group

Should i take an EPQ

Hi! Im just starting sixth form taking English Lit, Psychology and Biology. I would like to go onto uni and take a psychology course, would doing an EPQ help me if I based it on something within the psychology field. Furthermore, I also wanted to know the difficulty people think taking an EPQ is. I was a super hard worker during GCSEs and didn't slack at all so would this help me? Thank you!!
It can be useful for the following reasons:
1. It begins to train you in how to research and present work in the way that you are likely to for many degree courses at university
2. A high score will give you UCAS points equivalent to half an A level and some courses will reduced the offer accordingly. Thios will be made clear on the course page
3. If it is a related subject, it can support your application and give you something to discuss in your personal statement.

For some people these are great reasons and for others an EPQ feels like a bit of a waste of time.
Original post by jasmonic
Hi! Im just starting sixth form taking English Lit, Psychology and Biology. I would like to go onto uni and take a psychology course, would doing an EPQ help me if I based it on something within the psychology field. Furthermore, I also wanted to know the difficulty people think taking an EPQ is. I was a super hard worker during GCSEs and didn't slack at all so would this help me? Thank you!!

It could be beneficial as universities may give you reduced offers if you do well in your EPQ. It can be quite challenging to balance an EPQ with your A-level studies and you need to consider whether there will be an overlap between your EPQ and your psychology A-level. The difficulty of an EPQ is dependent on what your skills are and what you are doing an EPQ on so I can't really help you with that, sorry :frown:.

Quick Reply

Latest