The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hazel.exe
Heyy I'm applying for Speech and Language Therapy for a 2024 entry and the university I'm hoping to get into and would be my firm choice is Reading University. I love the structure of the course and the amount of hands on experience you get whilst learning and it's an integrated masters course so I'll be done and dusted in 4 years which is great!
I have also applied to City university, University of Manchester and University of Essex.
As for work experience I do feel a little behind as I haven't done much besides working with SEN pupils in my school and briefly speaking to a Speech and Language Therapist. There aren't many opportunities for work experience near me and I would like to gain proper experience before starting uni next year.
I'm also an extremely shy person and I feel as though I'll struggle a lot with the transition between A-Levels and uni, especially socially. I'd love to have someone to talk to about this whole process and just in general, I study Biology, English Literature and Psychology currently in case anyone's wondering but yeah, it's nice to meet you all :smile:)

Hi @Hazel.exe,

Congrats on your application, an intergrated masters course sounds like a great plan!
As for being shy, I felt the same! It's important to try and push yourself socially, and check out our events/society taster sessions as they're a great way to make friends. Also, if you're planning on living in halls, people tend to bond with a few good flatmates quite quickly.
I don't study Speech and Language Therapy but we have a few TSR ambassadors who do, so please feel free to contact us on here if you need any support or reassurance!

Good luck in your application process and the rest of your A-Levels!
-Eliza :smile:
Third Year Education Studies Student
Original post by develbiostudent
Hello! I’m applying for the MSc’s in London - I had my interview with city yesterday and got my offer through today! So excited!
I’m waiting to hear back from UCL about interviews etc however I have to accept/reject my city offer by 6/12. If I accept it now and get an offer from UCL later could I change my mind about city? I’m imagining lots of people will be in the same position so keen for some advice!

Hi! Well done! If you don't mind me asking, when did you put in your application for City and when did you hear back regarding interviews? Thanks. Good luck with UCL :smile:
Original post by health2023
Hi! Well done! If you don't mind me asking, when did you put in your application for City and when did you hear back regarding interviews? Thanks. Good luck with UCL :smile:

Hey! I put my application in about a week after they opened in September and got an interview offer a few days later? Then had my interview on Monday and got an offer on Tuesday. It’s all been quick for me but my application was in really early which might have helped? Have you applied too? x
Hey! I put my application in about a week after they opened in September and got an interview offer a few days later? Then had my interview on Monday and got an offer on Tuesday. It’s all been quick for me but my application was in really early which might have helped? Have you applied too? x

Did you get an email confirmation after accepting your offer? I haven’t yet but the portal says I have accepted so should be all good :smile:
I’m in my second year at Essex, BSc as a mature student with a previous degree if anyone has any questions!
Original post by hannah1465
Did you get an email confirmation after accepting your offer? I haven’t yet but the portal says I have accepted so should be all good :smile:

I emailed them today and they said that they don’t send out confirmations!
I emailed them today and they said that they don’t send out confirmations!

Oh fab, thank you!
I applied just last week and have already been offered an interview at UEA next week!!

What do I wear??
I know this is definite not the biggest thing I should be worrying about but I have no idea.

Any advice on what to wear or interview tips in general would be greatly appreciated
Original post by mscarolinebooth
Hello! I have applied for Sept 2024 entry at UCLan for the MSc- I have an interview at the start of January. So nervous as I’m so keen to get on the course - it’s been three years in the making (since I left teaching) , have competed an MSc Psychology conversion course and had a baby in between and finally ready to embark on training now- if they’ll have me 🤞🏻 Anyone else applying to UCLan?

Hi there @mscarolinebooth, 😊

Congratulations, it's great to hear that you have received an interview for our MSc Speech & Language Therapy course. It's completely normal to feel nervous before any interview. I thought I'd share some ways you can prepare for your interview to help settle any nervous you may have.

Have a look back at the guidance email you would have received as all the information you need for your specific interview will be explained in these notes

Do some research on commonly asked interview questions and prepare some answers to these, maybe a friend or family member can help you practice reading out your answers

Preparing some questions to ask at your interview will allow you to learn more about the course to see if it's the right fit for you

Most importantly, enjoy your interview as this is your time to show us why you want to study here

Do let me know if you have any questions and best of luck for your interview. 😊
Sarah
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 49
Original post by normaw
If you're applying to uni for Speech and Language Therapy for 2024 entry, introduce yourself to fellow applicants, ask questions and share your experience of applying so far:

Undergraduate or post graduate course?
Which universities are you (hoping) to apply for? Entry requirements?
Firm choice?
Insurance choice?
Work/shadowing experience?
Anything else?

Share as little or as much as you are comfortable with.

Please don't share details of interview questions on the forum - it gives those who follow you an unfair advantage. :smile:

@CamembertPaws FYI

Hi,I am currently in y12 studying applied science triple and am wanting to do speech therapy at university.However studying this is something I really regret and wish I did A levels in relevant subjects .Many universities say they will accept the qualification I’m currently doing but I’m not sure if I should retake y12 and do A levels.However if I did do this I would have to wait until next September as my college doesn’t allow you to switch subjects after the first month of the academic year (September).This would also mean I will be a year behind.
Any advise would be truly appreciated as I don’t know what to do.
Reply 50
Hi, can anyone help me with AECC Masters in Speech and Language Theray. Is there anyone who is currently pursuing their masters from here?
Original post by amber_445

(Original post by amber_445)

Hi,I am currently in y12 studying applied science triple and am wanting to do speech therapy at university.However studying this is something I really regret and wish I did A levels in relevant subjects .Many universities say they will accept the qualification I’m currently doing but I’m not sure if I should retake y12 and do A levels.However if I did do this I would have to wait until next September as my college doesn’t allow you to switch subjects after the first month of the academic year (September).This would also mean I will be a year behind.
Any advise would be truly appreciated as I don’t know what to do.

I've just used the NHS course finder and checked the entry requirements for five random SLT courses listed on there:

Greenwich - 112 UCAS points from any level 3 qualification

Essex - 112-120 points from any level 3 qualification

DMU - Btec Extended Diploma DDM

MMU - Btec Extended Diploma DDD

Sheffield - Btec Extended Diploma DDD

All unis also had GCSE requirements which usually included Maths, English Lang and a Science at grade 4 or above (do check these for every uni you are considering).

The Applied Science BTEC you are taking is perfectly acceptable so I'm not sure why you think you need to change to A levels as no specific subjects were required for the courses I looked at. For healthcare courses, what is as important as your grades is shadowing experience and public-facing work/volunteering experience so try and sort those out this year so that you will be ready to apply in year 13. Also, the NHS won't look at where you studied your degree so choose unis where you could live for three years and are happy with the placement locations, the department, etc. If you've not managed to do so already, book some open days - they really are the best way to work out which uni is best for you. :smile:
Original post by normaw

I've just used the NHS course finder and checked the entry requirements for five random SLT courses listed on there:

All unis also had GCSE requirements which usually included Maths, English Lang and a Science at grade 4 or above (do check these for every uni you are considering).

The Applied Science BTEC you are taking is perfectly acceptable so I'm not sure why you think you need to change to A levels as no specific subjects were required for the courses I looked at. For healthcare courses, what is as important as your grades is shadowing experience and public-facing work/volunteering experience so try and sort those out this year so that you will be ready to apply in year 13. Also, the NHS won't look at where you studied your degree so choose unis where you could live for three years and are happy with the placement locations, the department, etc. If you've not managed to do so already, book some open days - they really are the best way to work out which uni is best for you. :smile:

just to add to this - i do know that one uni which does require a specific a level is newcastle, I have applied here and they require a core science. This is copied from the website “AAB normally including one of the core sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics). If a candidate is not sitting any of the core sciences at A Level, we may accept a core science at AS Level. In this case the typical offer would be AAB at A Level, and B for the AS Level core science. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A Levels, we require a pass in the practical element”. So maybe give Newcastle a miss unless you are desperate to go there then you could always contact them to see if they would consider your course too :smile: good luck!
Original post by poppy.marshall
just to add to this - i do know that one uni which does require a specific a level is newcastle, I have applied here and they require a core science. This is copied from the website “AAB normally including one of the core sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics). If a candidate is not sitting any of the core sciences at A Level, we may accept a core science at AS Level. In this case the typical offer would be AAB at A Level, and B for the AS Level core science. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A Levels, we require a pass in the practical element”. So maybe give Newcastle a miss unless you are desperate to go there then you could always contact them to see if they would consider your course too :smile: good luck!

The member I was responding to is taking Applied Science Btec (not A levels), which is accepted by Newcastle:

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma/OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma. DDD required.
BTEC Applied Science preferred. All other applicants are considered on an individual basis, but BTEC modules studied must include at least 180 GLH in Physiology/Anatomy.
Original post by normaw

The member I was responding to is taking Applied Science Btec (not A levels), which is accepted by Newcastle:

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma/OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma. DDD required.
BTEC Applied Science preferred. All other applicants are considered on an individual basis, but BTEC modules studied must include at least 180 GLH in Physiology/Anatomy.

Ah my apologies! It’s a shame that section is so hidden away on the website - I bet a lot of other people may have been put off because it’s not very visible!
Original post by poppy.marshall
Ah my apologies! It’s a shame that section is so hidden away on the website - I bet a lot of other people may have been put off because it’s not very visible!

I agree and it's often the case on uni websites for alternative qualifications :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by normaw

Hi thanks for the reply
I think it’s also because I am unhappy doing the btec especially because I got quite good GCSE’s and regret not doing A levels.However it will get me to where I need to be so I’m not sure if I should just stick it out.
Any advice would help
Original post by amber_445
Hi thanks for the reply
I think it’s also because I am unhappy doing the btec especially because I got quite good GCSE’s and regret not doing A levels.However it will get me to where I need to be so I’m not sure if I should just stick it out.
Any advice would help

Btecs are an equally valid qualification to A levels. Even Newcastle that is picky about A levels happily takes students with your Btec. So there is no advantage to changing to A levels for your course, and A levels. Btecs, etc. don't play a significant part for job applications. It will be your degree class and experience that count.:smile:
Reply 58
Original post by normaw
Btecs are an equally valid qualification to A levels. Even Newcastle that is picky about A levels happily takes students with your Btec. So there is no advantage to changing to A levels for your course, and A levels. Btecs, etc. don't play a significant part for job applications. It will be your degree class and experience that count.:smile:

thank you I will probably stick it out even though I’m unhappy with it because there may be no point in swapping and I would be a year behind.I am just worried as I’m not sure if the course is competitive or not do you know if it is.As I don’t want to be in a position where I don’t get in anywhere.
Thanks for all your responses much appreciated!!!
has anybody heard back from UCL yet?

Quick Reply

Latest