The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah1465
has anybody heard back from UCL yet?

No hannah. But I did get an email from UCL on the 27 Nov, basically saying not to worry and the delay is due to large volume of applications they're receiving. Hopefully we get some updates soon
Original post by mscarolinebooth
Original post by amber_445

thank you I will probably stick it out even though I’m unhappy with it because there may be no point in swapping and I would be a year behind.I am just worried as I’m not sure if the course is competitive or not do you know if it is.As I don’t want to be in a position where I don’t get in anywhere.
Thanks for all your responses much appreciated!!!

Also- regarding the competitive-ness of the courses… having A levels or BTec extended applied science won’t matter. Usually the admissions criteria is set as a minimum ‘met’ or ‘not met’ criteria. So as long as you’ve got a suitable level 3 qual (which your courses usually is! Unless the institution is being suuuuuper picky and *only* accepting A levels which is very fare these days!) then you’ll get through to the interview stage. Once you’re at that stage they’re judging you on your knowledge of the profession/ the course, you’re personal qualities, transferable skills, relevant experience you’ve gained, and -importantly for SLT - your knowledge of the NHS values and how you can demonstrate you enact them. They won’t care what academic qualification you have at that stage. Good luck with your studies and try to enjoy it and not worry.

Very rare* not fare!

Hi thanks for the reply
So I asked my college to let me swap back and they wouldn’t let me until next year.I got really good GCSEs and so I do feel really regretful doing the btec as I think I just panicked as you only get 2 weeks to decide.Now I’m wanting to do speech therapy I’m really scared about getting in,as you said you worked for admissions do you know if btecs get accepted and also do you think speech therapy is hard to get into.Im so sorry for the bombardment of questions.I think it’s because I’m really not enjoying the btec and am very regretful for doing it but also scared about university.Many say they will accept it but I’m just nervous
Thanks for the reply xx

I can’t advise you on whether ‘BTec is accepted to get in as every uni sets its own entry requirements- but it is usually accepted yes. You need to do some research yourself in order to put your mind at ease and check that the places you may want to go definitely accept it.
Reply 63
Original post by mscarolinebooth
thank you sorry for the amount of questions.
I have 2 options I can either carry on with the btec which I’m not really happen with but feel confident I can get the grades to get in.Or I could do the a levels next year these will be subjects that I may potentially enjoy but then I will be a year behind.So I think it’s just deciding what’s the best thing to do for myself.
I’m really unsure though
Thanks anyway you have been a big help!!
xx

No problem! Best of luck with whatever you end up doing! If youve definitely got heart set on speech and language therapy then if it was me I’d try and just carry on as you will get in with the btec and then you can just crack in and get on with your degree sooner. But equally, if you really are not enjoying it then there’s no harm at all in starting again next year. I know at your age it is really hard and a year feels like a long tine and like you’ll be ‘behind’ but you really won’t be in the grand scheme! I’m 35 and applying for speech and language now after starting a music degree, swapping to languages after one year, then training as a teacher and then doing a psychology masters! All that over the last 15years and only now I feel like I e finally found the right course for me 😂😂 everyone’s journey is different and there’s no rush. Youve got to just do what’s right for you at whatever stage you’re at- though I know it’s still hard to make decisions a sometimes! Best of luck
Yes I definitely do want to do speech and language therapy and so I don’t want to miss the opportunity of not getting in so I think it’s just deciding on if I should do a levels next year.But thank you for all your advice and wish you the best with your journey!!
Hello, I have my first interview next week (for Reading)
I am quite nervous and would like to know what to expect.
I was just wondering what the initial group talk before the 1:1 involves.
Is it just listening to the staff and current students or do we actively have to get involved with the conversation?
🙂
(edited 4 months ago)
are you undergraduate and what are you studying xx
I think most of it is just seeing how you age as a student and nhs values.

Thank you x
Yes i am undergraduate and am studying a level psychology, biology and geography.
oh how are you finding it as I’m debating wether to redo the year and do a levels because I really don’t like what I’m doing right now and regret doing it so much. But I’m not sure as I do meet the entry criteria with btec.what do you recommend

I personally find it alright its just quite hardwork keeping up with the content in biology. I think in general if you keep up with your a levels they are fine. it's your choice overall. Btecs wouldn't hinder your chances of getting in to the unis and if you are willing to stock with them you would be able to obviously start your degree quicker. However if you really aren't liking them and your gut instinct is to redo a year, there is no harm in that. Either way you will be ok but don't continue if it is making you unhappy.
Yh to be honest I really don’t enjoy it but then if I do a levels I still have to finish this academic year my parents are telling me to stick as they think I will be wasting a year for no reason which I get
What unis have you applied to and have you received any offers/interviews etc.

I have applied to Reading, Sheffield, UEA, Manchester, and Cardiff met and have received interviews from UEA and Reading so far.

I can understand your parent's view. Is there a career advisor who you could ask at your school/college?
Reply 68
Original post by quarterly-inject
I have applied to Reading, Sheffield, UEA, Manchester, and Cardiff met and have received interviews from UEA and Reading so far.

I can understand your parent's view. Is there a career advisor who you could ask at your school/college?

good luck!!!
I’ve spoken to a careers advisor that has basically said most unis accept the btec however I’m just quite worried as it’s quite uncommon for someone to do speech therapy with applied science and I’m scared I won’t get in even with the grades and because I got good GCSEs I just feel regretful In not doing a levels.sorry to ask but what would you do?
Hope you get into your chosen uni and good look with your exams !!
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by quarterly-inject
Hello, I have my first interview next week (for Reading)
I am quite nervous and would like to know what to expect.
I was just wondering what the initial group talk before the 1:1 involves.
Is it just listening to the staff and current students or do we actively have to get involved with the conversation?
🙂

Hi @quarterly-inject

Congratulations on getting an interview; that in itself is great!

It's totally normal to be nervous, it would be worrying if you weren't at least a little bit nervous!!

I can't say I'm entirely sure what the group talk is before hand, as I'm not sure I had that. If you do need to be involved, I assume it will just be offering your ideas or asking questions. I am working on some of the interviews in January, and that is a time for the students to ask me questions about the course and what it's like to be studying at Reading etc, so it very well could be that?! In which case, that is just an opportunity for you to get all your questions answered so nothing to stress about!

In general, I know interviews are naturally really scary, but the interviewers are usually the clinical tutors who are all super lovely and encouraging, and they only want to get a better idea of who you are and what you are like, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to know everything or anything like that - they know you are not a qualified therapist and just want to know why you're interested in the course and what sort of experiences you have etc, so just be you as much as you can be!

If you have any specific questions, do let me know!

Good luck, you'll be great!

Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 70
Hi all 🙂 I've applied for the MSc Speech and Language Therapy University of Reading 2024 but haven't heard back yet, just wondering if anyone else has?
Original post by Innie6001
Hi all 🙂 I've applied for the MSc Speech and Language Therapy University of Reading 2024 but haven't heard back yet, just wondering if anyone else has?

Hi @Innie6001

Great to hear you've applied for the Masters SLT course!
I'm sure you will hear back soon - the team are working hard to get through all the applications, but it can take quite a while sometimes, so don't panic.

If you have any questions at all about the course or Reading in general, please let me know!

Good luck!!

Skye 🙂
good luck!!!
I’ve spoken to a careers advisor that has basically said most unis accept the btec however I’m just quite worried as it’s quite uncommon for someone to do speech therapy with applied science and I’m scared I won’t get in even with the grades and because I got good GCSEs I just feel regretful In not doing a levels.sorry to ask but what would you do?
Hope you get into your chosen uni and good look with your exams !!

Thanks for the luck.
I think if you're feeling regretful then that will always be in the back of your mind and this could influence your BTEC results. I am sorry that i am not able to give the answer you're looking for but i don't really know what i would do as i haven't been in your position.

I really wish you luck with your decision but remember everything is for a reason so there's no bad decision.
Original post by UniofReading
Hi @quarterly-inject

Congratulations on getting an interview; that in itself is great!

It's totally normal to be nervous, it would be worrying if you weren't at least a little bit nervous!!

I can't say I'm entirely sure what the group talk is before hand, as I'm not sure I had that. If you do need to be involved, I assume it will just be offering your ideas or asking questions. I am working on some of the interviews in January, and that is a time for the students to ask me questions about the course and what it's like to be studying at Reading etc, so it very well could be that?! In which case, that is just an opportunity for you to get all your questions answered so nothing to stress about!

In general, I know interviews are naturally really scary, but the interviewers are usually the clinical tutors who are all super lovely and encouraging, and they only want to get a better idea of who you are and what you are like, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to know everything or anything like that - they know you are not a qualified therapist and just want to know why you're interested in the course and what sort of experiences you have etc, so just be you as much as you can be!

If you have any specific questions, do let me know!

Good luck, you'll be great!

Skye 🙂

Thank you very much that is very helpful.
Good luck with your studies.
Still waiting to hear back from UCL - anyone in the same position? (MSc)
Original post by develbiostudent

Yes same here! Nothing yet.
Reply 76
Original post by develbiostudent

Hey I’m a current first year on SLT at Manchester, last year a lot of people said UCL was pretty slow to give out offers so no need to worry for a little while! I hope you get in 🙂
Original post by Ekl2005
Hey I’m a current first year on SLT at Manchester, last year a lot of people said UCL was pretty slow to give out offers so no need to worry for a little while! I hope you get in 🙂

Thank you! Do you know if it was in December or January they got back to applicants?
Reply 78
Original post by hannah1465
Thank you! Do you know if it was in December or January they got back to applicants?

I’ll be honest I’m not certain, but I’d definitely say more like January, and even that could be a little early. As a general, they were definitely the last uni to be sending out offers.
Original post by Ekl2005
I’ll be honest I’m not certain, but I’d definitely say more like January, and even that could be a little early. As a general, they were definitely the last uni to be sending out offers.

Hey I have just been offered an interview about an hour ago, so seems things are moving!

Quick Reply

Latest