The Student Room Group

2024 Engineering Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taeyongiscool
I need help. I applied for Aerospace Engineering at Uni of Liverpool but now I am thinking of substituting it for Uni of Manchester after seeing its graduate employments arent great. The only thing which is deterring me is Manchester city itself since I prefer Liverpool City over Manchester. What do you think I should do guys?

The bigger difference will be the students. Employers don’t hire universities - motivated students who are willing to build a strong cv (over the 3-5 years your at university) & invest time in recruitment do well. Those who don’t bother until Spring of final year end up with far less opportunities.

Manchester probably gets slightly more companies doing recruitment on campus - but this is not a huge factor in where a student ends up, ultimately it’s down to you to go get the job & this won’t change at either university.
Reply 21
Original post by lolatung
Exactly it looks hard and it has a lot of maths. Personally I’m just worried if we’re allowed to use calculators during the chem eng exams because I ain’t doing mental maths
Also did u sit the NSAA, I guessed half the math answers; it was so difficult. Don’t think I’ll get in

I'm sure they will definitely allow us to use calculators, that be absurd trying to do all the complicated maths in your head, oh yh the nsaa was a pain, maths was difficult as was section 2 chem, but I think section one physics was fine
Reply 22
Applied for chemical engineering
Universities: Oxford, Imperial, Bath, UCL, Southampton
Predicted grades: 4A*s in FM, Maths, Chem and Physics.
GCSE's 999888877
I applied 2 weeks ago and haven't received offers yet, does anyone know roughly how long some of the uni's I applied for take to respond?
Original post by ebonyAm
GCSE's 999888877
I applied 2 weeks ago and haven't received offers yet, does anyone know roughly how long some of the uni's I applied for take to respond?

There is generally no set timeline (Oxbridge often are the only ones - only because they release interview information & offers on schedules). But most unis it depends on several factors often unrelated to your specific application so the time can vary (a lot).
Original post by ebonyAm
GCSE's 999888877

I think it depends on the university, I’ve heard back from some of mine but I know others who have heard nothing.
Reply 25
Applied for biomedical eng (3) and general engineering (1)
Universities: Imperial, UCL, Southampton and general engineering at Cambridge.
Predicted grades: 44/45 (HL: Physics, Chemistry, Math AA, BM) (SL: Spanish A lang and Lit, English B) all 7(lost 1point in CORE)
IGCSE's: 999998876
I recieved an conditional offer for Southampton today! still waiting to choose my last uni, i'm between KCL and Warwick.
Original post by Smack
This is a thread for engineering applicants of all disciplines on the 2023-24 UCAS cycle (including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical & electronics, civil & structural, chemical, aerospace/aeronautical, biomedical, materials, etc.)
Introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying

Application details ice-breaker questions

What discipline(s)/areas of engineering are you applying for?
What universities are you thinking of?
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades?
GCSE grades?

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with

I want to go into robotics and AI. I've applied to UCL, imperial, queen Mary university of London and university of Hertfordshire. I'm stuck between UCL and imperial as I don't know which one would be the better choice.
I'm predicted two A* and one A. I got 99999888777 in my GCSEs
Original post by Iaayan3913
I want to go into robotics and AI. I've applied to UCL, imperial, queen Mary university of London and university of Hertfordshire. I'm stuck between UCL and imperial as I don't know which one would be the better choice.
I'm predicted two A* and one A. I got 99999888777 in my GCSEs

For engineering, unquestionably Imperial. UCL is a great school but id say it’s reputation for engineering it is not one of the pedigree institutions.
Applying for Motorsport and Automotive Engineering (MEng with placement year) as an international student

Oxford Brookes - Motorsport
Loughborough - Automotive
Bath - Mechanical with Automotive
Southampton - Mechanical with Automotive
Leeds - Automotive

I got my predicted grades in my country's qualifications but it basically translates to A*A*AAA
Original post by Smack
This is a thread for engineering applicants of all disciplines on the 2023-24 UCAS cycle (including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical & electronics, civil & structural, chemical, aerospace/aeronautical, biomedical, materials, etc.)
Introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying

Application details ice-breaker questions

What discipline(s)/areas of engineering are you applying for?
What universities are you thinking of?
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades?
GCSE grades?

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with

I've applied to chemical engineering at imperial, ucl, Manchester, bath & Nottingham (w sandwich years at bath and nottingham). I'm predicted A*A*A*A in physics, chem, maths and further maths (A in further). My GCSE's I got 11 9's.
side note I only sent in my application to UCAS on Monday and yesterday I got invited to a virtual interview at Manchester in TWO WEEKS. has anyone else been given such little notice?
Reply 30
Original post by MiscellaneousTSR
I've applied to chemical engineering at imperial, ucl, Manchester, bath & Nottingham (w sandwich years at bath and nottingham). I'm predicted A*A*A*A in physics, chem, maths and further maths (A in further). My GCSE's I got 11 9's.
side note I only sent in my application to UCAS on Monday and yesterday I got invited to a virtual interview at Manchester in TWO WEEKS. has anyone else been given such little notice?

Since when did manchester do interviews for engineering? Or is it just for chem eng
Original post by Singam21
no, ive applied this year 23, so I haven't got in, to be honest I don't know why I have chosen Chem Eng, it looked cool researching it, plenty of jobs compared to aero eg and really good job prospects following university, but it does look a bit difficult now I read more into it, idk we will find out

Hi, I'm applying for mech eng. I thought I would let u know that some unis allow you to switch between engineering disciplines in the first year if you feel you have mad an incorrect choice. It's worth looking into, I'm applying to London unis so I'm not sure about your specific ones.
Original post by gliz
Since when did manchester do interviews for engineering? Or is it just for chem eng

Idk about the other types of engineering but I think they’ve had interviews for chemical for a while now, as I’ve seen other forums on here and Reddit discussing them from previous years. Are you applying to Manchester too for engineering?
(edited 5 months ago)
Idk about the other types of engineering but I think they’ve had interviews for chemical for a while now, as I’ve seen other forums on here and Reddit discussing them from previous years. Are you applying to Manchester too for engineering?

I’ve applied and they gave me about 2-3 weeks notice for an interview
Reply 34

Yes I've applied for electronic eng at manchester and received an offer earlier this week, good luck with your interview
Original post by gliz
Yes I've applied for electronic eng at manchester and received an offer earlier this week, good luck with your interview

I’ve gotten an offer from Manchester for chem eng!
Congrats on your offer too
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Maths_Duck
I’ve applied and they gave me about 2-3 weeks notice for an interview

Ah I see, I think I've just been a bit worried about it is all. May I ask when they send a zoom link/interview invite etc. in relation to the date of the interview?
Ah I see, I think I've just been a bit worried about it is all. May I ask when they send a zoom link/interview invite etc. in relation to the date of the interview?

They’ll send you a link about 48 hours before your interview, it’ll have a time on the email that you’ll have to attend it
Reply 38
Original post by Maths_Duck
I’ve gotten an offer from Manchester for chem eng!
Congrats on your offer too

nice well done
Congratulaions to everyone who has recieved an offer. Has anyone had an offer from Bath yet? My son has offers from Southampton, Swansea, Surrey and Plymouth for Civil Engineering. Just waiting on Bath which is his first choice if he gets an offer from them.Good luck to everyone who has an interview and awaiting their offers. 🍀
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest