The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark?

So I got my GCSE results yesterday and got an 8 in history, but I was two marks off a 9. I was predicted a 9 and only lost one mark in my mock. During the actual exam, I missed an 8 mark question, however I personally thought that the rest of that paper and the others went really well. I am happy with an 8, so I am not sure whether a remark is worth it since my grade could go down. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by gjgndkgna
So I got my GCSE results yesterday and got an 8 in history, but I was two marks off a 9. I was predicted a 9 and only lost one mark in my mock. During the actual exam, I missed an 8 mark question, however I personally thought that the rest of that paper and the others went really well. I am happy with an 8, so I am not sure whether a remark is worth it since my grade could go down. Does anyone have any advice?

If you're two marks off a 9 then the chances of dropping so many marks that you drop to a grade 7 are very slim indeed. It's not impossible, just very unlikely.

I'd recommend you take advantage of the Access to Scripts service, via which you and your teachers get to see you marked exam papers. This service is free and the papers are immediately available online (unless you're with AQA, in which case expect a 10-day delay). You can then go through then to see if there are any "missed" marks. If there are none, then you know the mark (and grade) was fair.

However, if you see some missed marks, you can request the Review of Marking service where another examiner (normally a senior examiners) goes through you paper to check that the mark scheme has been correctly applied. There is a cost for this service (which varies by exam board) and you'd only really want to request it be applied to the paper(s) where there is the best chance of gaining a mark or two.

Note that the services have to be requested through your school. The deadline for exam boards to receive a request for Access to Script for GCSE is 7 September; the deadline to for exam boards to receive a request for Review of Marking is 28 September.
Reply 2
Hey, if it doesn't matter to you that much it is not worth it, it costs £60. Also, there is a possibility in the remark you could even be marked down. I totally understand you though, I also had a few close calls.
Original post by gjgndkgna

My mom is my history teacher and I got a 9. It is much much easier for your examiner to find extra marks in a subject like history as opposed to something like maths as history is so subjective. If you were one mark away I would say definitely but I’d think a bit if you are two away. It’s £40 though so think about how much it means to you or if you just accept the 8

Quick Reply

Latest