The Student Room Group

Disappointed by a levels grades

I am still so sad by my a level grades. I didn't feel like any of the exams went badly, I was actually very pleased because they felt like some of the best exams I had done. I was predicted A*AB and even got A*AA in my mocks.
So i don't understand how I got a C in spanish when I'd been getting As and Bs for the whole of year 13.
I also don't understand how I got 163/252 for politics, aka 64% aka 19/30 on average for my 30 marker questions, when for literally every single practice essay I had scored at least 22, and generally around 25. It makes no sense that I would have done worse in every single question than I had literally ever done before.

A lot of people have just told me I should be happy with the AAC i got, esp because I got into the uni I wanted (which I am def lucky that cardiff gave me a really low offer). But I am just incredibly upset that these grades don't seem to reflect at all the scores I had been getting in class/exams! I feel like the past 2 years were worthless if I just get seemingly random grades. I've cried several times over them since finding out, I really have no idea what to do.
Reply 1
There is no point crying if you haven't looked at the practical steps you need to take. Are you focussed on how you feel (disappointed) or deep down are you just disappointed you did not answer the question properly and know this? If the latter stay disappointed but get moving and choose what practical steps. Decide whether you want to do retakes, a year out or choose a different Uni in clearing?

It depends if you are just 'disappointed' at your grade. You can be genuinely concerned that the grades you were predicted in your mocks did not match your exam result. But if you didn't answer the question as the exam paper required the information you provided will not meet that key words needed to mark points and you will not get the results you want.

If you believe you should have got a higher grade given the detailed facts you presented in your response to the question, you need to act quickly. Contact your school or college and ask them to apply on your behalf for an 'urgent review'. There is a financial cost to this. It will take at least two weeks to turn this around. There is other advice non this site if you search for it.
Original post by kesjames
I am still so sad by my a level grades. I didn't feel like any of the exams went badly, I was actually very pleased because they felt like some of the best exams I had done. I was predicted A*AB and even got A*AA in my mocks.
So i don't understand how I got a C in spanish when I'd been getting As and Bs for the whole of year 13.
I also don't understand how I got 163/252 for politics, aka 64% aka 19/30 on average for my 30 marker questions, when for literally every single practice essay I had scored at least 22, and generally around 25. It makes no sense that I would have done worse in every single question than I had literally ever done before.

A lot of people have just told me I should be happy with the AAC i got, esp because I got into the uni I wanted (which I am def lucky that cardiff gave me a really low offer). But I am just incredibly upset that these grades don't seem to reflect at all the scores I had been getting in class/exams! I feel like the past 2 years were worthless if I just get seemingly random grades. I've cried several times over them since finding out, I really have no idea what to do.

Well, the good news is clearly that you secured a place at Cardiff, so congratulations there!

What I suggest is that you ask you school to get hold of your marked exam papers and then go through them together. This "Access to Scripts" service is offered by all exam boards, and provides immediate on-line access to your papers (unless it's AQA, in which cases it'll likely take at least a week to get them). The exam boards don't charge for this service (except CCEA, who charge £8.50, I think), although your school may charge a small admin fee.

By going through your papers and seeing how they've been marked you'll hopefully come to realise that they're not "seemingly random grades", but are justified. Alternatively, you'll find that they've been marked poorly and can then request a "Review of Marking" for some of the papers. You might get a grade bump as a result. :smile:
Reply 3
A few exams can never fully reflect years of studying. Some people put in bare minimum effort and get amazing marks, others put in tons of effort and still have a bad day. Oh well.

The whole thing doesn't matter if you've already gotten into uni. You can request a review or look over the papers but it's kind of a waste of time. It's not affecting your opportunities so you just have to learn to laugh it off. Be proud of the work you put in and recognize it wasn't pointless effort. You might not have gotten your preferred number on a paper but you can look forward to using the transferable skills you learned studying for your alevels in your future at Cardiff.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttly
There is no point crying if you haven't looked at the practical steps you need to take. Are you focussed on how you feel (disappointed) or deep down are you just disappointed you did not answer the question properly and know this? If the latter stay disappointed but get moving and choose what practical steps. Decide whether you want to do retakes, a year out or choose a different Uni in clearing?

It depends if you are just 'disappointed' at your grade. You can be genuinely concerned that the grades you were predicted in your mocks did not match your exam result. But if you didn't answer the question as the exam paper required the information you provided will not meet that key words needed to mark points and you will not get the results you want.

If you believe you should have got a higher grade given the detailed facts you presented in your response to the question, you need to act quickly. Contact your school or college and ask them to apply on your behalf for an 'urgent review'. There is a financial cost to this. It will take at least two weeks to turn this around. There is other advice non this site if you search for it.

Thanks I'll look into that.
Although I know it's not just that I did badly on exams because I answered them the exact same way i did in class where i was consistently getting much higher marks. so it isn't that the exams went badly
Reply 5
Don’t worry, exams do not reflect your ability in a subject whatsoever. Ive seen people get a B and even a C in a subject and then come out with a 1st or 2:1 at university in the same subject. A lot of people are not suited to the nationalised exam system and do better elsewhere in life. University is very different to A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest