The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE Geography Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

I'm taking AQA GCSE geography and i have my paper 1 and 2 mocks this week. do you have any helpful tips and study materials?
Reply 21
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hello, thanks for making this thread!

I'm doing edexcel B for geography which isn't very common.
I prefer learning human geography, as I find it more interesting, however I find that questions for physical geography are slightly easier than human geography questions.
There's so much content and obviously we have the case studies too!
I use quizlet, save my exams, time for geography and cgp revision guide for my revision!

Hey! I also do Edexcel B, do you have any tips for the 16 marker (12 mark q and 4 mark SPAG) in paper 3? I got capped at level 2 so I got 8/12 and 3/4 SPAG in my mock but I don't know how to improve for this question specifically because it's based off of a resource booklet and not necessarily content.
Original post by cupid-agi
Hey! I also do Edexcel B, do you have any tips for the 16 marker (12 mark q and 4 mark SPAG) in paper 3? I got capped at level 2 so I got 8/12 and 3/4 SPAG in my mock but I don't know how to improve for this question specifically because it's based off of a resource booklet and not necessarily content.

We haven't covered the 16 marker in great detail yet, however I think spend at least 5 minutes looking at the maps/charts/photos relevant to the question from the resource booklet and annotate them - so make some conclusions like how this affects people or the environment, what are the economic aspects of it etc.

Obviously because there are limited past paper questions, you can try and do some research on different types of data representation (so maps or charts that show different things for different countries) or different articles of topics (so things that you see on the news or in news articles) and practice making annotations from it by just seeing/reading it. You can think about what you can infer from the resources and what it shows you and doesnt show you.

After making annotations, read more around that topic and see how developed your inferences were. Sometimes during the exam, you can use knowledge from different topics for the 16 marker - for example, on the 2020 paper, the 16 marker is on Russia's economy, you can use your knowledge from development dynamics topic to help you get a foundation for your answer.

I think the 4 marks for SPAG you can definitely get up to a solid 4 with enough practice of essay writing and structure and an 8/12 for your essay is really great, so your revision methods are working well. You can try and track your progress by practicing the same 16 marker every few weeks to see if you're hitting more points in the mark scheme or you can try and get it marked by your teacher so they can identify exactly where you can get more marks.

Hopefully that helps and good luck!
Reply 23
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE Geography Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hii i do aqa geography 🤍
i actually enjoy geography since its one of my strong subjects and prefer physical over human geography
to revise i normally go through my classwork since we get told to write our notes in a lot of detail, and i consolidate this by looking at the notes on savemyexams, which is a big lifesaver for anyone who hasnt heard of it before
keywords are a must! lots of questions in exams will ask for definitions so for every topic i create a keyword bank in a separate book and revise those constantly.
and same for every other subject, practice papers are a big must to help you understand and test your knowledge
Original post by milktee
hii i do aqa geography 🤍
i actually enjoy geography since its one of my strong subjects and prefer physical over human geography
to revise i normally go through my classwork since we get told to write our notes in a lot of detail, and i consolidate this by looking at the notes on savemyexams, which is a big lifesaver for anyone who hasnt heard of it before
keywords are a must! lots of questions in exams will ask for definitions so for every topic i create a keyword bank in a separate book and revise those constantly.
and same for every other subject, practice papers are a big must to help you understand and test your knowledge

What topics do u do for physical
Original post by Ezeokoyechisom
I am really bad in geography will you guys help me please

I can help you with your assignments
Reply 26
Original post by agent_duck343
What topics do u do for physical

for physical landscapes i do river and coastal, and for the living world i do tropical rainforests and hot deserts :smile:
Original post by milktee
for physical landscapes i do river and coastal, and for the living world i do tropical rainforests and hot deserts :smile:

Ooh I do coasts and glaciation and then rainforests and cold environments
Reply 28
Original post by agent_duck343
Ooh I do coasts and glaciation and then rainforests and cold environments

oooh alright
Reply 29
Original post by *LifeHappens*
We haven't covered the 16 marker in great detail yet, however I think spend at least 5 minutes looking at the maps/charts/photos relevant to the question from the resource booklet and annotate them - so make some conclusions like how this affects people or the environment, what are the economic aspects of it etc.

Obviously because there are limited past paper questions, you can try and do some research on different types of data representation (so maps or charts that show different things for different countries) or different articles of topics (so things that you see on the news or in news articles) and practice making annotations from it by just seeing/reading it. You can think about what you can infer from the resources and what it shows you and doesnt show you.

After making annotations, read more around that topic and see how developed your inferences were. Sometimes during the exam, you can use knowledge from different topics for the 16 marker - for example, on the 2020 paper, the 16 marker is on Russia's economy, you can use your knowledge from development dynamics topic to help you get a foundation for your answer.

I think the 4 marks for SPAG you can definitely get up to a solid 4 with enough practice of essay writing and structure and an 8/12 for your essay is really great, so your revision methods are working well. You can try and track your progress by practicing the same 16 marker every few weeks to see if you're hitting more points in the mark scheme or you can try and get it marked by your teacher so they can identify exactly where you can get more marks.

Hopefully that helps and good luck!

Thank you for such a thoughtful and thorough response. I will definitely be using these tips to practice in my revision!!
Reply 30
I do Edexcel B GCSE geography, is savemyexams worth the money for teaching myself geography? If not please tell me any other online sites you recommend. I need to teach myself because my teacher isn't any good. I need to teach myself things on paper 2 and 3 specifically.
Reply 31
Original post by jg.10x
I do Edexcel B GCSE geography, is savemyexams worth the money for teaching myself geography? If not please tell me any other online sites you recommend. I need to teach myself because my teacher isn't any good. I need to teach myself things on paper 2 and 3 specifically.

i personally lovee savemyexams and always use it for geography. but to be fair, i find myself mainly using it for physical geography, which isn't what your focus is on i'm assuming? the only other website i'm aware of is coolgeography, i haven't used it much myself but i've heard that it's really helpful!!
Reply 32
Original post by milktee
i personally lovee savemyexams and always use it for geography. but to be fair, i find myself mainly using it for physical geography, which isn't what your focus is on i'm assuming? the only other website i'm aware of is coolgeography, i haven't used it much myself but i've heard that it's really helpful!!

Rlly? I thought coolgeography is for AQA. Bc I need to teach myself UK's evolving human landscape (part of component 2) and people's environment and issues - geographical decisions (component 3)

Thank you for replying, though
Reply 33
Original post by jg.10x
Rlly? I thought coolgeography is for AQA. Bc I need to teach myself UK's evolving human landscape (part of component 2) and people's environment and issues - geographical decisions (component 3)

Thank you for replying, though

oh my bad i'm so sorry i thought coolgeography had edexcel as well 😭😭 i checked just now and you're right, it's mainly aqa content but it mentions covering most of edexcel content as well.
apart from coolgeography and savemyexams i'm not sure of any other websites off the top of my head sorry :frown:
if i ever find any other useful website i'll be sure to let you know!!
Reply 34
Original post by milktee
oh my bad i'm so sorry i thought coolgeography had edexcel as well 😭😭 i checked just now and you're right, it's mainly aqa content but it mentions covering most of edexcel content as well.
apart from coolgeography and savemyexams i'm not sure of any other websites off the top of my head sorry :frown:
if i ever find any other useful website i'll be sure to let you know!!

Thank you!! i'll consider getting the monthly plan for savemyexams, now.
Reply 35
Original post by jg.10x
Thank you!! i'll consider getting the monthly plan for savemyexams, now.

you're welcomee!! goodluck with your revision :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by milktee
you're welcomee!! goodluck with your revision :biggrin:

Thank you!! You too. Out of interest, what exam board are you studying for geography??
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 37
Original post by jg.10x
Thank you!! You too. Out of interest, what exam board are you doing for geography??

thank youu!! i do aqa geography
also i just realised you just joined tsr, welcomeee!!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 38
Original post by milktee
thank youu!! i do aqa geography
also i just realised you just joined tsr, welcomeee!!

thank you!!
Original post by Ezeokoyechisom
I am really bad in geography will you guys help me please

Hi! I am predicted a grade 8 in geography! Here are some things that i find really useful:

The GCSE (AQA) Exam practice workbook is really good! It has many questions that share a common theme that are often seen in the test papers themselves. The book itself is not expensive, maybe £5 on Amazon.

Another way that i study is past papers. If you can, print them out, set a timer of the exam time length, and do as many questions as you can.

I also recommend practice papers as many questions are recycled, therefore the more familiar you are with them, the better and confident you will be to answer them.

Make sure to revise on every topic, go through case studies, and know the important facts that you know you can write about and explain in detail.

Make sure to ask your teacher! May sound a bit obvious but telling the teacher that you are struggling shows you do care about your grades, and that they can find work or sources for you.

Make sure you know how to structure questions, whether it be a 2 marker, 3, 4, 6 or 9 etc... They all have their specific structure that can get you optimum marks!

Know command words. Command words such as 'Explain' or 'Describe' come up a lot, and it makes a big difference when answering for the context of the question and what you should write!

You did post this 4 months ago but hopefully some additional tips help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending