The Student Room Group

how to stop lying

my parents found out that I took my phone in the middle of the night and I lied to them about it. I feel bad about lying and I don't know how to stop and my parents said they will never give my phone back what do I do ?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Have you tried having a more rational conversation with them? (I know this is harder than it sounds) but often situations like this get heated very quickly and it turns into a bigger thing than it should be.
You do know how to stop. It's not like someone has a gun to your head telling you to lie all the time.

First, take accountability for the fact that you lied. Own up to it and apologise to your parents. Whether they decide to give you your phone back or not is up to them. Either way, deal with the consequences of your actions.

Figure out why it is that you lie. Most often than not it's because we're trying to avoid the repercussions of our actions. If you know you shouldn't be doing something then don't do it. It's that simple. Put it into practice and try to do better.
Original post by rafadadam123
my parents found out that I took my phone in the middle of the night and I lied to them about it. I feel bad about lying and I don't know how to stop and my parents said they will never give my phone back what do I do ?

I would just say the truth and own up for it.You don't have to mean it. In a way, it's still lying and therfore if you have trouble with telling the truth, then that wouldnt be a problem would it?
Reply 4
Original post by rafadadam123

It's better for you to confess, apologise and restore trust 🙂 That is more important than your phone! 🙂 It's human to lie, but doing it unethically can be problematic and so, if you're caught doing that then it's better to rectify it. I think you stop lying as you grow up as you'll likely come across a situation where someone will lie to you and you won't like it and that can build your capacity to recognise how lying can harm people and that can discourage you from lying 🙂
Original post by Autumn223
Have you tried having a more rational conversation with them? (I know this is harder than it sounds) but often situations like this get heated very quickly and it turns into a bigger thing than it should be.

Good advice. After a while when the emotions calmed down a serious discussion should be done to make things and points clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending