The Student Room Group

I am really fed up with this serious problem in our society

The reason why disability discrimination never stops is very obvious.

Because disability discrimination is not a criminal offence and not a few disabled persons can afford a lawyer to file civil cases against perpetrators, members of institutions particularly faculty staff within universities are free to mistreat the disabled, ruin their lives or even make them kill themselves without repercussions.

University administrators, who manage internal complaints procedures, are more likely to protect abusive faculty staff than vulnerable disabled students because the former publish papers and boost their rankings while disabled students are deemed a replaceable source of income.

Disabled students are more likely to fail out due to ill-health and lack of reasonable adjustments, which often exist on paperwork but can hardly be enforced since not following them is not a criminal offence for those faculty staff, not mentioning that it is prohibitively expensive, extremely difficult and unusually time-consuming to get legal representation for such cases most lawyers don't take them pro bono.

Any formal processes are taxing for disabled students, which cause most of them to choose to put up with predatory harassment and career destruction by faculty staff, resulting in the encouragement of disability discrimination having ruined the lives of millions upon millions made worse by the current importance of diplomas as a job entry requirement.

Simple questions: Do you find more faculty staff committing corruption than disability discrimination? Do you find fewer disabled people living in poverty than prosperity?

The answers are obvious.

So long as disability discrimination is not a criminal offence, this problem can never be resolved.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What burning injustice has happened to you to make you so angry?

I presume you have been sidelined in some way by a University and also have some health issues that are causing you to feel overwhelmed right now?

Is there anyone you know who could help you offload all of this and allow you to step back from everything for a moment?

I am not dismissing how you feel, and it is ok to feel as you do. But it is a hard place to be if you feel no one is there to help you go forward?
I do feel that you are fishing for people to agree with you via multiple threads on the same topic.

I’ve worked in uni admin and administration for many years. I’ve never known a member of staff to discriminate on the basis of disability or to behave in an ableist way. I appreciate that isn’t your experience.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttly
What burning injustice has happened to you to make you so angry?

I presume you have been sidelined in some way by a University and also have some health issues that are causing you to feel overwhelmed right now?

Is there anyone you know who could help you offload all of this and allow you to step back from everything for a moment?

I am not dismissing how you feel, and it is ok to feel as you do. But it is a hard place to be if you feel no one is there to help you go forward?

Brutal mistreatment by ableist faculty staff just as many other disabled students.
Reply 4
Original post by greg tony
I dont know about society but one of TSRs biggest problems is your constant repetition of rants. Along with the sun rising each day, death and taxes your rants are strangely comforting in their regularity.

Greg

What's not OK with that your career is destroyed by some ableists who ignore the law? How am I not entitled to be angry and write extensively about such a social ill?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
What's not OK with that your career is destroyed by some ableists who ignore the law? How am I not entitled to be angry and write extensively about such a social ill?

ignore what law?
Brutal mistreatment by ableist faculty staff just as many other disabled students.

"Brutal"?
Reply 7
i'm happy to talk law here and provides reasons why the equality act 2010 cannot be criminalised if you're interested, but i reckon law is not your subject area and this is just a fantasy, fair enough. but let's create a thread title or an op that's accurate?
Reply 8
Original post by Genesiss
ignore what law?

I don't understand your question.
Reply 9
Original post by Genesiss
i'm happy to talk law here and provides reasons why the equality act 2010 cannot be criminalised if you're interested, but i reckon law is not your subject area and this is just a fantasy, fair enough. but let's create a thread title or an op that's accurate?

I don't need to be a legal expert to push for amendments. Would you require 1960s Black Americans to be legal experts to push for the Civil Rights Act?
Reply 10
If you are sensitised to abuse, what form of abuse are you receiving from your colleagues?

Is this real or imagined, are you sure it is happening?

Are you good at your job? If you were the employer would you employ yourself? If the answer is 'no' then maybe there are some aspects which you do need to alter ie your behaviour or approach or attitude to the people around you?

I don't envy the position you find yourself in. If you feel hurt emotionally it is easy to find any slight word or deed a further hurt. If someone kicks you it can hurt. If someone kicks you on an already broken leg the pain is off the scale. This is the same emotionally if you already hurt.

You can end up alienating the very people who are with you and would support you, but who by your own actions you have pushed away? It is also easy to think the whole world is against you when it is not the case. Just because there is one main culprit does not mean that every person thinks or feels the same way as that one culprit. Be careful if you are fighting that you don't push every one away, and become so consumed with anger or hate you cannot see through it. If you are kind to people it is far harder for them to be nasty to you.

Find another job or change your circumstances if the working conditions where you are at are so intolerable. Life is too short to be unhappy. Fighting it can be life consuming with no great returns and where will you be then in a year or five years time?

What do you want to happen that you see as a 'win'
Reply 11
I don't understand your question.

Genesiss referred to the part where you stated, "your career is destroyed by some ableists who ignore the law". Which law were you referring to?
Reply 12
Guess you are one of those having spent your entire career bullying disabled people and ruining their lives.

That is a massive assumption - and you are so wrong you have no idea.

Immediately you have tried to create a response that stops anyone being kind to you or even helping you. Is that what you do and accept then that every one hates you or has no time for you? Your outbursts and own actions can create a massive barrier to people helping you, and that could be just one of the reasons why you feel so alienated and angry at everyone at work?

I would hope you can get some form of help and support here on TSR from someone who will hear you out and fight your corner for you, offer a way forward. An advocate maybe? But you have to be willing to look at your own approach and your own rant to see through the practicalities that there are that you can do. That is your remit. Ultimately you have to know what you are aiming for after you have finished. Otherwise it is a pointless rant.

But without knowing anything about your disability or your circumstances it is very difficult to offer any help or to try and signpost you elsewhere.
Guess you are one of those having spent your entire career bullying disabled people and ruining their lives.

Your comment is in itself an act of bullying. Oh, the irony...
Reply 14
Original post by Muttly

Immediately you have tried to create a response that stops anyone being kind to you or even helping you. Is that what you do and accept then that every one hates you or has no time for you? Your outbursts and own actions can create a massive barrier to people helping you, and that could be just one of the reasons why you feel so alienated and angry at everyone at work?

I would hope you can get some form of help and support here on TSR from someone who will hear you out and fight your corner for you, offer a way forward. An advocate maybe? But you have to be willing to look at your own approach and your own rant to see through the practicalities that there are that you can do. That is your remit. Ultimately you have to know what you are aiming for after you have finished. Otherwise it is a pointless rant.

But without knowing anything about your disability or your circumstances it is very difficult to offer any help or to try and signpost you elsewhere.

They do this all the time. Every time.

They cast aspersions, knowing exactly nothing about the physical or mental capabilities of those they insult. Unfortunately, it really is a case of a stuck record with this poster.
Reply 15
Original post by ageshallnot
Your comment is in itself an act of bullying. Oh, the irony...

How is it bullying but not the gaslighting as shown from the comment of the said user?
Reply 16
Original post by Muttly

Which part of my #1 post do you not agree with?
Reply 17
Original post by jas149
Genesiss referred to the part where you stated, "your career is destroyed by some ableists who ignore the law". Which law were you referring to?

The Equality Act of 2010.
Reply 18
UK government failing to protect disabled people, warns equality watchdog report

- Equality and Human Rights Commission, 17 August 2023.
How is it bullying but not the gaslighting as shown from the comment of the said user?

It's abusive bullying, plain and simple. You accused another user of ruining people's lives with no evidence whatsoever. That comment was removed (though is still visible in my post #14) so the evidence is plain for everyone to see. Imo you should have received a ban for abusing another user. Imagine your screams of outrage if someone had told you that you were guilty of destroying people's lives without a shred of evidence.

Perhaps it's time for this debate to be turned around and for you to look in the mirror?

Latest