The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
The reason why disability discrimination never stops is very obvious.

Because disability discrimination is not a criminal offence and not a few disabled persons can afford a lawyer to file civil cases against perpetrators, members of institutions particularly faculty staff within universities are free to mistreat the disabled, ruin their lives or even make them kill themselves without repercussions.

University administrators, who manage internal complaints procedures, are more likely to protect abusive faculty staff than vulnerable disabled students because the former publish papers and boost their rankings while disabled students are deemed a replaceable source of income.

Disabled students are more likely to fail out due to ill-health and lack of reasonable adjustments, which often exist on paperwork but can hardly be enforced since not following them is not a criminal offence for those faculty staff, not mentioning that it is prohibitively expensive, extremely difficult and unusually time-consuming to get legal representation for such cases most lawyers don't take them pro bono.

Any formal processes are taxing for disabled students, which cause most of them to choose to put up with predatory harassment and career destruction by faculty staff, resulting in the encouragement of disability discrimination having ruined the lives of millions upon millions made worse by the current importance of diplomas as a job entry requirement.

Simple questions: Do you find more faculty staff committing corruption than disability discrimination? Do you find fewer disabled people living in poverty than prosperity?

The answers are obvious.

So long as disability discrimination is not a criminal offence, this problem can never be resolved.

If you're fed up then what are you going to do to change your situation?
Reply 21
Original post by ageshallnot
It's abusive bullying, plain and simple. You accused another user of ruining people's lives with no evidence whatsoever. That comment was removed (though is still visible in my post #14) so the evidence is plain for everyone to see. Imo you should have received a ban for abusing another user. Imagine your screams of outrage if someone had told you that you were guilty of destroying people's lives without a shred of evidence.

Perhaps it's time for this debate to be turned around and for you to look in the mirror?

How does a random comment on a thread destroys someone's life in the same way as a disabled person being abused by a group of powerful people within an institution that is financially superior (or has an entire counsel team) to a victim?

Do you really know what you are talking about? Can you please tell me which part of my #1 post is wrong rather than engage in personal attacks over here?
Reply 22
Original post by Quady
If you're fed up then what are you going to do to change your situation?

Why not those who bully disabled people change their behaviour instead?
This is all very problematic.
The OP has seemingly had some experiences in their life which they feel are based on discriminatory practices and that, where they are, the process of challenging this is made difficult. They do not cite any specific examples or whether this is ongoing or ad-hoc in nature. Neither do they indicate whether they have asked for any union support or an impartial assessment by someone outside of the situation. Nor if an official complaint has been made and considered.
Unless such information is forthcoming, the rest of us have little concrete on which to base our responses.
Reply 24
Original post by SomeonesDad
This is all very problematic.
The OP has seemingly had some experiences in their life which they feel are based on discriminatory practices and that, where they are, the process of challenging this is made difficult. They do not cite any specific examples or whether this is ongoing or ad-hoc in nature. Neither do they indicate whether they have asked for any union support or an impartial assessment by someone outside of the situation. Nor if an official complaint has been made and considered.
Unless such information is forthcoming, the rest of us have little concrete on which to base our responses.

Because I am not obliged to disclose my situation to strangers on the internet. I don't understand why the lack of my disclosure would discredit any of my points, nor are you able to explain any flaws in my arguments in #1.
Because I am not obliged to disclose my situation to strangers on the internet. I don't understand why the lack of my disclosure would discredit any of my points, nor are you able to explain any flaws in my arguments in #1.

1. No-one said you were obliged to disclose the situation. I certainly didn't, but you did choose to outline your issues to a forum full of strangers......
2. I am not looking to discredit any of your points.

However, any anonymised details you might care to provide would allow readers of your original statement to better understand the discrimination that you say that you have suffered. They may be able to draw upon similar experiences or examples and therefore be better placed to respond empathetically.
For example, if a response ran along the lines of "that's awful to hear, you really ought to try and get your union to step in and challenge this for you" it runs the risk of being a waste of time if you've already explored that route.

At the moment, the original post can be summarised as "I've had a *****y experience. It's unfair how the whole thing is being treated". And you might be right. Others might think you've brought it on yourself (I don't know why, but hey, it could happen).
Simply speaking, if you're looking to build a groundswell of support, more/some details might assist. .
Reply 26
Because disability discrimination is not a criminal offence and not a few disabled persons can afford a lawyer to file civil cases against perpetrators, members of institutions particularly faculty staff within universities are free to mistreat the disabled, ruin their lives or even make them kill themselves without repercussions.

What's your source for this? Do you have a link?

Read the Equality Act 2010.
Reply 27
Original post by Surnia
What's your source for this? Do you have a link?

Read the Equality Act 2010.

How does the Equality Act of 2010 punish perpetrators of disability discrimination? Is it a criminal offence? Would they ever be prosecuted? Are victims of such discrimination automatically entitled to free legal support for them to file civil cases? Are perpetrators required to follow recommendations from public ombudsman if they are found to have violated the law? Are they required to pay reparations to victims of such discrimination if they are found by the court to have violated the law? May be in England, but not Scotland.
Reply 28
I guess people who challenge me need to Google 'Natasha Abrahart suicide' so that they would know the severity of the problem.
Reply 29
Is it a criminal offence?

Yes.

It was recommended that you actually take time off here to set out the FACTS of your case and take the emotion out of it. Where's the source for people killing themselves over disability discrimination at uni? Don't claim it if you can't show it.
Reply 30
Original post by Surnia
Yes.

It was recommended that you actually take time off here to set out the FACTS of your case and take the emotion out of it. Where's the source for people killing themselves over disability discrimination at uni? Don't claim it if you can't show it.

No, it is not. Don't you see people over here objecting to its criminalisation?

Ever heard of Natasha Abrahart? The University of Bristol student with social anxiety who killed herself after being denied reasonable adjustments and forced to do public presentations, while her university lied in the court, lost the case against her parents and had to pay £50,000 as reparations. What you need is Google rather than wilful denial.
Coming from the big bad world of the 1970s, things have massively improved for those with disabilities. Is there room for improvement? Well, yes, there is always room for improvement in anything, however, things are changing, people are becoming more aware of the difficulties and more sensitive to those difficulties.

I was a mature student over a decade ago and I am becoming a student again later this month (at the grand old age of 53). The comparison of the two experiences is already massively different with so much more support available and so much more understanding now than before.

Back then, it was a fight to get anything, I failed an exam because reasonable adjustments were not available or advertised and to get them for the resit was an exercise in frustration and stress, this time, everything is in place even before the first module and no fight was involved.

I also noticed the change during the time my children were at university, as each child went through the process, things became easier, more streamlined, less of a fight. That is not to say it all went swimmingly, I had to mount an appeal when my middle son had his studies terminated at the end of his second year because his needs hadn't been met and he was struggling to cope and once that was won, I had to then ensure they implemented what had been promised to him when he started his degree (they did, he repeated the year and ultimately graduated)

Attitude plays a big part, I find people are more willing to work with me if I am willing to work with them and gain a mutual understanding of the reasons behind decisions and a mutual respect. Flexibility and adaptability are also positives, we can't have everything as we would like it, the world doesn't work that way and we have to be able to adapt to that and find ways to work with it. Believe me, there is nothing more frustrating than making an appointment to see someone and then finding they are up a flight of stairs and no lift available (I'm a full time wheelchair user), so I take that issue out of the equation by being proactive and checking first, asking the questions and then suggesting (not demanding) alternatives that would work for both parties.

Things are not perfect but awareness, especially of mental health issues and neuro diversity, is growing and with that, more understanding and equality.
Reply 33
Original post by ageshallnot
"Brutal"?

What clarifications do you want?
Reply 34
No, it is not. Don't you see people over here objecting to its criminalisation?

Ever heard of Natasha Abrahart? The University of Bristol student with social anxiety who killed herself after being denied reasonable adjustments and forced to do public presentations, while her university lied in the court, lost the case against her parents and had to pay £50,000 as reparations. What you need is Google rather than wilful denial.

"The Equality Act became law in 2010. It covers everyone in Britain and protects people from discrimination, harassment and victimisation."

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/your-rights-under-equality-act-2010#:~:text=The%20Equality%20Act%20became%20law,you%20have%20been%20treated%20unlawfully.

I haven't denied anything, I asked for a source because you should be supporting claims that you make, not expecting other people to do the homework. Remember Community Guidelines say "Keep debates constructive...". - but they also say "Do not post the same content multiple times, within either a single or multiple threads."
Reply 35
Original post by Surnia
"The Equality Act became law in 2010. It covers everyone in Britain and protects people from discrimination, harassment and victimisation."

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/your-rights-under-equality-act-2010#:~:text=The%20Equality%20Act%20became%20law,you%20have%20been%20treated%20unlawfully.

I haven't denied anything, I asked for a source because you should be supporting claims that you make, not expecting other people to do the homework. Remember Community Guidelines say "Keep debates constructive...". - but they also say "Do not post the same content m
multiple times, within either a single or multiple threads."

If you look into the Act yourself, you can find that it is NOT a criminal offence but a civil one whose perpetrators can only be held accountable by the victim filing a civil case for legal remedy, e.g. reparations, apology, rather than a prosecutor arrests someone, puts a charge on them and brings them to the court in shackles - there is no single criminal charge in the Equality Act of 2010 called "disability discrimination". Something like that "can" only be charged if a person assaults a disabled person out of prejudice against them - it is called hate crime and is covered by other criminal laws rather than the Equality Act of 2010. You are arguing that disability discrimination is a criminal offence even though the Crown Prosecution Service says otherwise:

There is no offence of stirring up hatred based on disability, which contrasts with the position in relation to offences of stirring up hatred on grounds of race, religion and sexual orientation.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/disability-hate-crime-and-other-crimes-against-disabled-people-prosecution-guidance

You need to get the facts right before trying to accuse me of being emotional.

Under most circumstances, victims of discrimination do not have sufficient money to hire lawyers to file lawsuits and not many lawyers would freely take discrimination cases either. Institutional support is not always available and victims often have to fight alone for an extended period of time under extreme stress that causes their health problems to worsen while struggling mentally and financially.

Latest