The Student Room Group

Oxford colleges for mathematics

Im planning on applying for mathematics and statistics and was wondering what colleges are being recommended + available.
I've heard christ's church is good but is it heavily oversubstribed? I've heard someone who applied said they took people from pooling but im not sure.. any suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by tweetybiiiiird20
Im planning on applying for mathematics and statistics and was wondering what colleges are being recommended + available.
I've heard christ's church is good but is it heavily oversubstribed? I've heard someone who applied said they took people from pooling but im not sure.. any suggestions?

Detailed applicants per college by subject can be found at

https://public.tableau.com/views/UniversityofOxford-CollegeSuccessRates2022/CollegeSuccessRates?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:showVizHome=no

I'd suggest not playing a numbers game though and focusing on something positive you like about a college - e.g. location, age or accommodation
i don't know what college would likely give an offer, but i would advise my younger self to apply for a college that would more likely accept my application rather than apply to a college that i liked more, but is more difficult to enter
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
i don't know what college would likely give an offer, but i would advise my younger self to apply for a college that would more likely accept my application rather than apply to a college that i liked more, but is more difficult to enter

Because of importing and exporting mechanisms between the colleges there is much the same chance of acceptance to the university no matter which college you apply to. As you have a choice of college you might as well choose one you like but recognize that 25% of offers are from colleges that the applicant didn't apply to.
Original post by RichE
Because of importing and exporting mechanisms between the colleges there is much the same chance of acceptance to the university no matter which college you apply to. As you have a choice of college you might as well choose one you like but recognize that 25% of offers are from colleges that the applicant didn't apply to.

Yeah I agree, applying to an oversubscribed college will probably increase your chances of being reassigned, but it won't make you less likely to get an offer. Academically they're all very similar, but the overall student experience can be quite different. I've met a few people here who really regretted applying to certain colleges because of statistics - you have to live in the place for several years. Ultimately, most people end up at their first choice, so applying to the college you actually want to be at is the best course of action regardless of its popularity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending