The Student Room Group

fellow gap year students

is anyone else doing a gap year? im currently on mine and im working, but i feel as if i want something more. whats everyone else doing for theirs? what are ppl doing about friends etc? i rly wanna go clubbing but i dont rly have any friends to go with rn
Original post by efqawfewgsdsdwFR
is anyone else doing a gap year? im currently on mine and im working, but i feel as if i want something more. whats everyone else doing for theirs? what are ppl doing about friends etc? i rly wanna go clubbing but i dont rly have any friends to go with rn

I'm on a semi-gap year in the sense I am working and studying like crazy. (I needed the extra A Levels.) I'm also currently looking at businesses and financial securities on the side.

If you're asking for gap year ideas, I have a semi-long list. However, instead of bombarding you with ideas, it's going to be significantly more productive if I narrow it down to:

Personal interests

Life goals

Career that you want after uni

The sort of part time work you like

The sort of degree courses that you want to apply for

In terms of friends, unfortunately people are doing their own thing, so you're either going to have to find new friends in the meantime or wait until yours come back from uni during the holidays. Usually your colleagues from work tend to be good people to go with, provided you're into the same things. Likewise, if you do sports or attend a club, you can always meet up with people you see there.
If you are in the work world, it's not that uncommon for you to go on a night out and meet random people for professional networking (although I wouldn't do anything less than chivalrous in front of them). This is particularly common practice if you're in London, and you would never know who you're meeting when you just start talking to people.

If you have anyone you're particularly close with, you can visit them at their unis (plenty have done so prior).

Quick Reply

Latest