University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Trainee PWP September 2023

post removed
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyyy, I also applied for this course the moment the applications opened . I have a degree in primary education but I have been a mental health support worker and therapy assistant for the past 3 years x .

I also applied for the education mental health practitioner Pg dip aswell because I have had experience in schools

What about you ?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Yes, you don’t need any references ☺️ . Do you know how long roughly it would go to hear a decision or interview ?
Reply 3
Awesome , I really hope we both get on x
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Awesome , I really hope we both get on x

Wishing the best of luck! How is everyone including everything under 3000 characters count? Kinda struggling :/
Reply 5
Wishing the best of luck! How is everyone including everything under 3000 characters count? Kinda struggling :/

Honestly it was soo hard but I made sure I got everything relevant fitted in
Reply 6
hey (:

I will be applying for this course too! Struggling with the personal statement though due to the character count!!
I have a BSc psychology and completed a placement year during that so I've got some voluntary experiences . I am currently working as a therapy support worker.

Have you applied to any other courses/unis? or just UCL?

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by zeen998
hey (:

I will be applying for this course too! Struggling with the personal statement though due to the character count!!
I have a BSc psychology and completed a placement year during that so I've got some voluntary experiences . I am currently working as a therapy support worker.

Have you applied to any other coursies/unis? or just UCL?

Good luck! :smile:

I applied to just UCL as I would like to start in September. I also applied for the Education mental health practitioner PG Dip,

It's quite similar to the PWP course but instead you will be based in schools.

What about you ?
Reply 8
Honestly it was soo hard but I made sure I got everything relevant fitted in

Yes can relate, btw is it just me that on the referees section: it says that 'no references are required for this course' ? Did the same thing happen to you? Or anyone else? Just making sure
Reply 9
Yes can relate, btw is it just me that on the referees section: it says that 'no references are required for this course' ? Did the same thing happen to you? Or anyone else? Just making sure

It said the same thing for me don’t worry
Reply 10
I applied to just UCL as I would like to start in September. I also applied for the Education mental health practitioner PG Dip,

It's quite similar to the PWP course but instead you will be based in schools.

What about you ?

That’s good! Do you think there is a big difference in the roles? Or is it just literally the working environment
I’ve only applied to this course. I’m also interested in MHWP but I’m not sure how the application process works for this one :frown:
Original post by zeen998
That’s good! Do you think there is a big difference in the roles? Or is it just literally the working environment
I’ve only applied to this course. I’m also interested in MHWP but I’m not sure how the application process works for this one :frown:

I don’t think there is a MASSIVE difference in the roles as you will still provide low intensity interventions for children and young people. With this role you will be working within the NHS but with community mental health support teams . You will also work with schools. The role is also quite new that’s why there is not much information on it. I would advice you to reply aswell because it’s less competitive than the PWP role.
Original post by FayeBarnes92
Hi everyone! I have also applied this year for the PWP at UCL. I had issues with the character count as well, however it gave me the option to either use the template provided or to upload a personal statement if I wanted to make it longer, which I did. Fingers crossed for everyone, good luck xx

Ooo the wait starts nowwww xx
Reply 13
Hi everyone,
I’ve also applied this year. Does anyone know roughly when they will be getting back to us ?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
Good luck! Im a trainee pwp at essex and know someone who’s doing their training at UCL… UCL are brutal - I think they expect your OSCE straight away. I was given a few months before mine.
it’s a hard course at UCL so all credit to you all
Original post by PseudoHero
Good luck! Im a trainee pwp at essex and know someone who’s doing their training at UCL… UCL are brutal - I think they expect your OSCE straight away. I was given a few months before mine.
it’s a hard course at UCL so all credit to you all

I’m currently doing the course at UCL and it really isn’t as brutal as people make it out to be! The tutors are extremely supportive, and I didn’t do my OSCE until around 1 month after starting. Might seem daunting to begin with, but there’s plenty of roleplay practice so you do pick up the skills very quickly. The first month and a half you’ll be in uni 3 days a week, so plenty of opportunities to practice and learn!

Best of luck to everyone applying for the next cohort ☺️
Reply 16
Agree with above about UCL, I'm currently doing the training there and it's tough but the tutors are really supportive and really want you to pass so do try to help as much as they can! I also have a really supportive service and a lot of the PWPs there trained at UCL so they know how it goes and that's been really helpful. I only had to go to UCL 2 days a week during the "intensive" block (first 2 months), but maybe it's different for different services? The OSCE was within the first month which was stressful but there was so much support in the lead up to it and lots of time for role plays and practices that it was scary but kind of glad it was out of the way and we could get going with patients, but that's just my take on it in hindsight!

In terms of UCL getting back to you, expect it to be at least 5-6 weeks, so end of June. They got back to me 5 weeks after the applications closed and had my interview the following week. I started in the February cohort which I think is slightly less competitive/busy so I'd expect a full 6 weeks for this cohort.

I also read above that someone attached their statement so they could write more. I'm really sorry to say that UCL specifically say not to do that in the recruitment pack and that these attached statements won't be read. Therefore it's really important to keep to the character limit they set. I know it's super hard (it took me like a week to write mine, just to keep it within the limit) but if you attached your statement this time it may be worth starting to prepare your statement for the next intake and working on getting it down to the character limit. Who knows, they may feel like being very nice and reading the attached statements anyway but I would be surprised as this is unfair to those who stuck to the character limit. I'd highly recommend following the guidance in the recruitment pack as it walks you through how to complete the application.

And if you don't make it for this intake remember they do two intakes a year! Next one for February 2024 will most likely open in September.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by e.mu.77
Agree with above about UCL, I'm currently doing the training there and it's tough but the tutors are really supportive and really want you to pass so do try to help as much as they can! I also have a really supportive service and a lot of the PWPs there trained at UCL so they know how it goes and that's been really helpful. I only had to go to UCL 2 days a week during the "intensive" block (first 2 months), but maybe it's different for different services? The OSCE was within the first month which was stressful but there was so much support in the lead up to it and lots of time for role plays and practices that it was scary but kind of glad it was out of the way and we could get going with patients, but that's just my take on it in hindsight!

In terms of UCL getting back to you, expect it to be at least 5-6 weeks, so end of June. They got back to me 5 weeks after the applications closed and had my interview the following week. I started in the February cohort which I think is slightly less competitive/busy so I'd expect a full 6 weeks for this cohort.

I also read above that someone attached their statement so they could write more. I'm really sorry to say that UCL specifically say not to do that in the recruitment pack and that these attached statements won't be read. Therefore it's really important to keep to the character limit they set. I know it's super hard (it took me like a week to write mine, just to keep it within the limit) but if you attached your statement this time it may be worth starting to prepare your statement for the next intake and working on getting it down to the character limit. Who knows, they may feel like being very nice and reading the attached statements anyway but I would be surprised as this is unfair to those who stuck to the character limit. I'd highly recommend following the guidance in the recruitment pack as it walks you through how to complete the application.

And if you don't make it for this intake remember they do two intakes a year! Next one for February 2024 will most likely open in September.

Good luck everyone!

Thank you soo much for your response . Do you mind sharing how the interview was . For example, group or individual and what type of questions were asked ( scenario or multiple choice etc. )
Original post by e.mu.77

Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much
I’m training with Hillingdon- one of the outer london services. They don’t push you into the deep end so to speak, and they also do a lot of community-based workshops, which are a nice break from office life! Highly recommend this service to anyone thinking of applying later down the line ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending