The Student Room Group

taking a gap year to apply for dentistry

In year 12 i messed up my mocks and ended up getting predicted BBC which is obviously not enough for dentistry. I worked over summer to resit these exams but they were so much harder than the first ones 😭. Despite my grades increasing in each subject my teachers are still refusing to change my predicted grades. Im planning to go on to do my Alevels and apply next year however im stuck on what to apply for on ucas this year. I dont want to apply for a random course and for the dental school to think i didnt want to do dentistry initially. Has anyone been in a similar situation? please help
Reply 1
Original post by Monklithemonkey
In year 12 i messed up my mocks and ended up getting predicted BBC which is obviously not enough for dentistry. I worked over summer to resit these exams but they were so much harder than the first ones 😭. Despite my grades increasing in each subject my teachers are still refusing to change my predicted grades. Im planning to go on to do my Alevels and apply next year however im stuck on what to apply for on ucas this year. I dont want to apply for a random course and for the dental school to think i didnt want to do dentistry initially. Has anyone been in a similar situation? please help

Hi ,

please don’t worry !!! I’m not in the same situation as grades but I am with UCAT. There are such things such as partners for Newcastle and other schemes for dentsl universities that let you into their school with lower grades so it’s worth to have a look. There is nothing wrong with taking a gap year either, so Many medical/dental students do it every year even if they have all A*s and a good ucat. I probably wouldn’t apply this year to a different course if it is something you don’t want to do and get the grades and do it holistically like that :smile:
Original post by Monklithemonkey

Id go to the higher party, maybe head of science. If you increased your grade and it still isnt changed youd get your case at the least reviewed
Original post by HaileeB245
Hi ,

please don’t worry !!! I’m not in the same situation as grades but I am with UCAT. There are such things such as partners for Newcastle and other schemes for dentsl universities that let you into their school with lower grades so it’s worth to have a look. There is nothing wrong with taking a gap year either, so Many medical/dental students do it every year even if they have all A*s and a good ucat. I probably wouldn’t apply this year to a different course if it is something you don’t want to do and get the grades and do it holistically like that :smile:

Sorry to hear about ur ucat, its honestly so hard ☹️☹️ I think the newcastle partners scheme want 3 Bs, but i might try and apply anyways. Thank you !!
Original post by DarkWarrior20
Id go to the higher party, maybe head of science. If you increased your grade and it still isnt changed youd get your case at the least reviewed

Yeah im going to try. My schools quite strict though so i doubt they will change it ☹️

Quick Reply

Latest