The Student Room Group

Literature at Oxford

Any tips for getting into Oxford for English would be appreciated as I'm in year 12 and need some help knowing what to do!

(For context I got five 9s three 8s and two 6s at gcse and my predicted grades are A*s)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Any tips for getting into Oxford for English would be appreciated as I'm in year 12 and need some help knowing what to do!
(For context I got five 9s three 8s and two 6s at gcse and my predicted grades are A*s)

Hey! I've got an offer from Oxford for English this year and I've been through the admissions cycle twice so I know it can be tough! Finding the parts of English that really interested me helped for my application. This meant reading across different genres, time periods and authors until I found things I liked. More specifically, having a good personal statement and sufficient practice for the ELAT are important too, (but I wouldn't worry too much about the ELAT yet if you are only year 12.) Also, get to know the application process, so you can start thinking about colleges/open application and you know what to expect. Oxford demands a lot of its applicants but it can also be fun to explore your interest in English in more depth and outside of the a level curriculum. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hey! I've got an offer from Oxford for English this year and I've been through the admissions cycle twice so I know it can be tough! Finding the parts of English that really interested me helped for my application. This meant reading across different genres, time periods and authors until I found things I liked. More specifically, having a good personal statement and sufficient practice for the ELAT are important too, (but I wouldn't worry too much about the ELAT yet if you are only year 12.) Also, get to know the application process, so you can start thinking about colleges/open application and you know what to expect. Oxford demands a lot of its applicants but it can also be fun to explore your interest in English in more depth and outside of the a level curriculum. Best of luck!

Thankyou! I'm really interested in Shakespeare, romantic poetry and Russian authors! I have some supercurriulars like essay contest wins but it's the ELAT im scared of tbh😂
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thankyou! I'm really interested in Shakespeare, romantic poetry and Russian authors! I have some supercurriulars like essay contest wins but it's the ELAT im scared of tbh😂

Russian authors sounds like a pretty unique interest, I'd maybe delve into that a bit deeper and pull it into your personal statement. It could produce some interesting conversation at interview!
It could also be helpful to start exploring some podcasts, documentaries and Ted talks about literature, as these are things you could add to your personal statement.

I totally understand about the ELAT, it can be daunting because it's quite unlike A Level essays, but there are lots of resources out there for practice. I'd recommend looking for exemplars and reading the feedback from previous ELAT essays that have been marked (these can be found on the Oxford website). If you have any teachers who have worked with Oxford literature applicants before than you could potentially ask them to mark some of your ELAT practice papers when you start preparing for that? Additionally you could do timed essay plans comparing two texts of different forms to get used to the comparative aspect of the ELAT, and the time pressure of the planning phase.
You've still got plenty of time to prepare though, try not to worry too much! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lyric-exertion
Russian authors sounds like a pretty unique interest, I'd maybe delve into that a bit deeper and pull it into your personal statement. It could produce some interesting conversation at interview!
It could also be helpful to start exploring some podcasts, documentaries and Ted talks about literature, as these are things you could add to your personal statement.
I totally understand about the ELAT, it can be daunting because it's quite unlike A Level essays, but there are lots of resources out there for practice. I'd recommend looking for exemplars and reading the feedback from previous ELAT essays that have been marked (these can be found on the Oxford website). If you have any teachers who have worked with Oxford literature applicants before than you could potentially ask them to mark some of your ELAT practice papers when you start preparing for that? Additionally you could do timed essay plans comparing two texts of different forms to get used to the comparative aspect of the ELAT, and the time pressure of the planning phase.
You've still got plenty of time to prepare though, try not to worry too much! :smile:

Yeah thankyou so so much! I did a practise elat I'm just trying to find a teacher at school who can mark it right!
You've been such a help I really appreciate it <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending