The Student Room Group

A level mini tests

Hi everyone. I just screwed up my first in class assessment for biology and I don't know how to feel. I'm in yr 12 and I've never had such a low grade before. At gcses I got 9s and 8s and I'm so dissapointed. I also revised really hard and yet got the 3rd lowest in the class(21/39). I feel so low and I'm scared that the teacher may use this as my predicted grade for parents evening. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Original post by tania bee
Hi everyone. I just screwed up my first in class assessment for biology and I don't know how to feel. I'm in yr 12 and I've never had such a low grade before. At gcses I got 9s and 8s and I'm so dissapointed. I also revised really hard and yet got the 3rd lowest in the class(21/39). I feel so low and I'm scared that the teacher may use this as my predicted grade for parents evening. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey don't be discouraged by this as it can only get better from here! I started of feeling quite insecure in my bio class as I only managed an A for GCSE bio while everyone else got an A* (and I greatly struggled revising for GCSE bio). What I learnt to do was to understand the content instead of memorizing it. In A levels, the questions test your knowledge in a way that is not obvious. Doing all the past papers and possibly using the mark scheme to make your notes will also be useful. Don't worry too much about your teacher using this mini test result as your predicted grade for parents evening. What matters will be your final predicted grades (after Y12 mocks). I joined my A level bio class late and got only a 70% in my first test but ended sixth form with the second highest grade in my cohort with an A*. You got this!
Reply 2
Hi all I have Mocks coming up next week from the 6th of November 2023 I need help on how to achieve grade 8 and 9 for Maths, Computer science, Combine Science, English, French, Religious and Music. Pls any tips, site any one or group that help to achieve my grades a bit nervous
Reply 3
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey don't be discouraged by this as it can only get better from here! I started of feeling quite insecure in my bio class as I only managed an A for GCSE bio while everyone else got an A* (and I greatly struggled revising for GCSE bio). What I learnt to do was to understand the content instead of memorizing it. In A levels, the questions test your knowledge in a way that is not obvious. Doing all the past papers and possibly using the mark scheme to make your notes will also be useful. Don't worry too much about your teacher using this mini test result as your predicted grade for parents evening. What matters will be your final predicted grades (after Y12 mocks). I joined my A level bio class late and got only a 70% in my first test but ended sixth form with the second highest grade in my cohort with an A*. You got this!

Thanks so much for your response.:smile: My only worry is that the final predicted grades may be based off in class tests?? I'm not sure how schools predicted grades....
Original post by tania bee
Thanks so much for your response.:smile: My only worry is that the final predicted grades may be based off in class tests?? I'm not sure how schools predicted grades....

Hey yes this may be the case if your final Y12 mock grade is at the lower end and they need more evidence to predict you a certain grade.

Quick Reply

Latest