The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Accommodation advice

Hi i’m studying at York st John next September having applied for deferred entry. I am looking to decide my accommodation and i’m currently between the grange and brickworks. Brickworks seems to be the better accommodation for facilities, location, even rooms but if i select the grange i will have a little extra spending money each week. Could anyone with any experience in either of these let me know if spending the extra money would be worth it?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by katiekin
Hi i’m studying at York st John next September having applied for deferred entry. I am looking to decide my accommodation and i’m currently between the grange and brickworks. Brickworks seems to be the better accommodation for facilities, location, even rooms but if i select the grange i will have a little extra spending money each week. Could anyone with any experience in either of these let me know if spending the extra money would be worth it?

Hi there! It's so great to hear that you will be attending York St John in 2024! I am a third year primary ed student who was in the Grange in my first year. My experience was actually really good as the facilities did the job and I found the location very conveniently placed closest to uni and a short walk into town. I liked that the complex is very communal and in the Summer, people would sit outside on the grass and chat. There is a 24/7 maintenance team which helped out my house whenever it was needed very quickly which I liked. For me, the location was not a priority but it was very convenient, instead, money was my priority therefore living in the Grange was the best option for me. I didn't particularly care about what kind of room I had either because I spent most time outside in societies or in the library. The only thing I think is something that would be a dealbreaker for other people is that it is shared bathrooms. I thought it would be a big issue to me before moving in, it didn't really affect me whilst staying there.

I have friends who were staying at Brickworks in their first year. The accommodation is clearly fancier in terms of the furnishings, including sofas (the Grange does not have these in all its houses). All accommodations have access to 24/7 security, however, at Brickworks, the security is on-site which differs to the Grange. It is locked at all times and requires key cards to access the complex and individual rooms (at the Grange you get given keys). This meant that they had to take their key cards around with them everywhere, including the kitchen. They also said that it had a games room and gym for entertainment and wellbeing which differs to the Grange, and is free to enter with your key card. Brickworks is a little further away from the university than the Grange is, but it has a lot nicer interiors and en suites. All accommodation sites will have launderette facilities which you have to pay for aside from your accommodation bills.

I think ultimately, it depends what your priorities are. For me, my accommodation just had to be a place to sleep and make food, but to other people it is their sanctuary. Regardless of your choice, I hope you meet some amazing people and enjoy your experience at York St John next year! I hope that information helped you to come to a decision :smile:

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Original post by katiekin

Brickworks will be £190 next year which is £440 more than this year. From A current brickworks tenant who is commuting next year due to the price increase in all accomodations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending