The Student Room Group

How to get a sibling to study?

Any tips on how to motivate siblings to study? Mine has their GCSEs this year and they are actually so smart and naturally good at school but they don’t put any effort in. They’ve got their mocks this week that they’ve known about for months and told us they’d revised for but actually done nothing.

Idk what to do, I’ve always been really motivated to revise. I got lots of A*s in GCSEs so my parents don’t really know how to persuade my sibling to work either. They’ve just got this attitude of I’m too tired to do this so I won’t bother and who cares if I fail X and Y if I get an A* in Z. They’re very confident in stem subjects (which they are amazing at) but even for them they don’t revise and Ik they’ll be disappointed because you do need to revise for your GCSEs no matter how good you are.

What’s even worse is that I think they’ll probably get mostly A*-B grades in these mocks where they’ve been given info on what to revise and then think that they won’t need to revise at all for the real ones.

Does any one have any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Any tips on how to motivate siblings to study? Mine has their GCSEs this year and they are actually so smart and naturally good at school but they don’t put any effort in. They’ve got their mocks this week that they’ve known about for months and told us they’d revised for but actually done nothing.

Idk what to do, I’ve always been really motivated to revise. I got lots of A*s in GCSEs so my parents don’t really know how to persuade my sibling to work either. They’ve just got this attitude of I’m too tired to do this so I won’t bother and who cares if I fail X and Y if I get an A* in Z. They’re very confident in stem subjects (which they are amazing at) but even for them they don’t revise and Ik they’ll be disappointed because you do need to revise for your GCSEs no matter how good you are.

What’s even worse is that I think they’ll probably get mostly A*-B grades in these mocks where they’ve been given info on what to revise and then think that they won’t need to revise at all for the real ones.

Does any one have any advice?

I think for now you just need to hope mocks act as a bit of a kick up the backside - if they don't do well they will probably want to do better. At the same time it isn't really your business to get your siblings to study, they're not very likely to study when their sibling is trying to force them to.

In short, I don't think there is much you can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending