The Student Room Group

Is swimming backstroke easy?

After failure with swimming instructors I have decided to teach myself to float on my back and then eventually move to swimming on my back. Whenever I swim on my front my head goes under the water and never goes up like doing head up breastroke. I've tried dog paddle as well and the similar problem occurs. I've ready online and it says that swiming on your back is easier than front as the body is aligned and comes above the surface. At least I'm trying to learn the elementary backstroke this way. Is it true this stroke is easier?
Reply 1
objectively, yes, it is the easiest stroke but it's all up to preference.
when doing backstroke, you are limited to what you can see so you may veer off in one direction unknowingly, a way that you could come about this though is by following something that goes from one side to the other of the ceiling of where you are swimming.
hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by arxbellx
objectively, yes, it is the easiest stroke but it's all up to preference.
when doing backstroke, you are limited to what you can see so you may veer off in one direction unknowingly, a way that you could come about this though is by following something that goes from one side to the other of the ceiling of where you are swimming.
hope this helps

Thank you! Do I need to have air in my lungs to do this or am I OK just by moving my legs? I did kicked back using a kickboard and did it so well with my teacher Do you think the kickboard helped me to stay up on the surface or does it have no use in this case ?
Reply 3
I think, so it is the easiest but you should know about it how to do it..

Quick Reply

Latest