The Student Room Group

How do you swim on top of the water?

I just want to know how someone can stay at the surface of the water without the body going in the water? I have been taking lessons and whenever I start off my body kind of sinks below the water and struggle to stay up. It was ok with doggy paddle but still I was kinda in the water and face was in the water most of the time unless I paddle strong. And also how does it work with heads up breastroke where they swim with head above the water? Do I have to have air in my lungs to swim any stroke so that I can stay on the surface or is there any starting techinique to keep me afloat?
Original post by habesha97
I just want to know how someone can stay at the surface of the water without the body going in the water? I have been taking lessons and whenever I start off my body kind of sinks below the water and struggle to stay up. It was ok with doggy paddle but still I was kinda in the water and face was in the water most of the time unless I paddle strong. And also how does it work with heads up breastroke where they swim with head above the water? Do I have to have air in my lungs to swim any stroke so that I can stay on the surface or is there any starting techinique to keep me afloat?

Backstroke
Well I mean the body is in the water, it's just nearer the surface. Staying close to the surface while swimming has very little to do with the air in your lungs (good swimmers can still be near surface if they want even when they're breathing out and their lungs are ''empty'') and has much more to do with technique, specifically arm and leg action. The slower you swim the more likely it is your lower trunk and legs will sink as you're not generating enough momentum to keep them afloat (although again I would say this is more relevant to beginners because experienced swimmers can deliberately swim very slowly and still stay close to surface). Honestly, staying afloat is similar to balancing and it's just something you get better at over time, it's very common for beginners to sink or not be able to maintain their whole body length near the surface, and I remember you're starting from scratch so I would say don't worry too much about it now. As your technique gets better and you become a stronger swimmer you will naturally find yourself sinking less and less. I've been swimming all my life and I don't remember ever being taught specifically how to stop my body from sinking while swimming, it's just something that happens less the better you get.

In terms of keeping head above water while swimming, this is mainly dependent on upper body strength and very powerful leg action, not on air in lungs.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
I'm guessing you're talking about keeping your head out of the water. You can't keep your whole body out of the water. That's not swimming.

Keeping your head up while treading water is just a matter of leg/arm technique and to some degree, strength. Although you don't really need to be that strong to swim well. Longer arm/leg movements are more efficient than shorter ones as you don't need to paddle/kick as fast.

As for swimming with head out of the water, it's a similar idea but keeping your head out of water is an inefficient way of swimming. I know you see lots of people in public pools swimming like that, but all good swimmers keep the head in the water as much as possible as it makes you more streamlined, only coming up to take breaths, and then head back down again.
It can't be prevented that the body is not in the water. Being fast at swimming, it has to be straighten on the surface in one line to get the perfect pace. I personally like to crawl in the pool, but even more breaststroke and sometimes I do backstroke.
Reply 5
Original post by Mohammed_80
Backstroke

I've decided to try this technique myself after I've realised I'm not getting anywhere with instructor. Can you please give any tips on how to do it? Do you think I need air in my lungs to do it or just kick my legs by stretching my body? Thanks you

Quick Reply

Latest