The Student Room Group

What holiday pay am I entitled to

I I left my job on December 31st 2023 which I started in October 2019.

It was a very informal business as I had no contract during this time and when I mentioned to my boss about being zero hour contracted, he denied that

I’m not 100% sure on how holiday days and pay are worked out but I’d like some help on what I’m entitled to

I have been paid for some holidays I’ve taken in the past and I’ve got proof of that. I think about 5 days in total in July of 2023. He did have a holiday scheme at one point where he wrote down how many days each employee had taken in a notebook but he wasn’t a very organised man and will likely try and get away with not paying anything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Original post by Nousername2431

It was a very informal business as I had no contract during this time and when I mentioned to my boss about being zero hour contracted, he denied that

I’m not 100% sure on how holiday days and pay are worked out but I’d like some help on what I’m entitled to

I have been paid for some holidays I’ve taken in the past and I’ve got proof of that. I think about 5 days in total in July of 2023. He did have a holiday scheme at one point where he wrote down how many days each employee had taken in a notebook but he wasn’t a very organised man and will likely try and get away with not paying anything.

What have you got from google so far?

There are two ways of getting holiday pay and they depend on what you contract was. If you work a specific number of hours, ie full time, or 8 hours per week etc then you are entitled to a specific number of days/hours, which are usually a direct proportion of the company's full-time leave entitlement, which must not be less than the legal minimum (look it up).

If you work on a zero hours contract, then you don't 'take time off', usually there is an additional % added to your pay that equates to the same proportion of time you'd get if you worked full time and got leave, it's about 12%. If you get holiday pay this way, then it should show on your payslip ie basic pay and holiday pay on separate lines..
Original post by Nousername2431

It's tough when there's no contract in place, as it can leave you feeling uncertain about your entitlements. It's definitely worth seeking some advice on what you're entitled to in terms of holiday pay and days off. If you have proof of being paid for holidays you've taken in the past, that's a good start.
It's tough when there's no contract in place, as it can leave you feeling uncertain about your entitlements. It's definitely worth seeking some advice on what you're entitled to in terms of holiday pay and days off. If you have proof of being paid for holidays you've taken in the past, that's a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending