The Student Room Group

Does she like me? I can't seem to read her.

Okay this is going to be a long story to tell so brace yourselves.

So there's a female coworker who I've been working with for 3 months now. When she first joined I didn't really think much of her, I think I kind of shut off my mind from even thinking of her in that way. But after about a couple of weeks I started falling for her.

But the only issue I'm so torn on knowing whether she likes me or not. For the first couple weeks I was almost certain that she did like me. But I recently noticed that there's an another guy in the same workplace who she gives similar energy to. And the weirdest thing is that the other guy is already in a relationship and is much younger than her (and shorter). I'll make a list of the things she does that makes me think she likes me:
- Her face lights up whenever I approach her. She sometimes has a big smile on her face.
- At the start she used to always sit next to me in the office. Nowadays she rarely does.
-She at times would start text conversations with me. But it's usually work-related. She's very quick with replies.
-She shows concern for me. Like ask how my family is doing sometimes remind me to do stuff via text if I forget.
-She checks if I will join for team outings. There was a team outing that I wasn't going to but she invited me to come.
-She laughs at my jokes and even when I'm not even trying to be funny.
-At times when it's lunch and I am sitting alone in the office. She would come over to me to talk to me. This has only happened on two occasions though.
-She always come to me for help. Even when it's things that I am not involved in.

However there a few things that threw me off. There's been two instances where she has been cold to me. One time at an after work party where it was me her and another guy (who's taken). And she gave most of her attention to the other guy. Every time I asked her something during that three way conversation she would barely look at me or glance my way. There was this one time where I sat next to her for a day at work and she was cold to me the entire morning (cold as in anything I asked, she would give me the bare minimum answer for. She didn't have the usual energy/smile that she has on her face). There's times where I would bump into her in the morning and she would look like she isn't in the mood to talk. Part of it could be that she's tired but her face doesn't light up like it usually does.

However a couple weeks ago, my boss randomly was having a bit of small talk with me and asked me what I thought of her. And I told him the truth of what I thought of her. He then said that he already asked her what she thought of me. I asked him what she said and he said her response was that she got too shy and she didn't respond. And that's pretty much all I've got at the moment.

What do you guys think I should do?
Original post by Anonymous

So there's a female coworker who I've been working with for 3 months now. When she first joined I didn't really think much of her, I think I kind of shut off my mind from even thinking of her in that way. But after about a couple of weeks I started falling for her.

But the only issue I'm so torn on knowing whether she likes me or not. For the first couple weeks I was almost certain that she did like me. But I recently noticed that there's an another guy in the same workplace who she gives similar energy to. And the weirdest thing is that the other guy is already in a relationship and is much younger than her (and shorter). I'll make a list of the things she does that makes me think she likes me:
- Her face lights up whenever I approach her. She sometimes has a big smile on her face.
- At the start she used to always sit next to me in the office. Nowadays she rarely does.
-She at times would start text conversations with me. But it's usually work-related. She's very quick with replies.
-She shows concern for me. Like ask how my family is doing sometimes remind me to do stuff via text if I forget.
-She checks if I will join for team outings. There was a team outing that I wasn't going to but she invited me to come.
-At times when it's lunch and I am sitting alone in the office. She would come over to me to talk to me. This has only happened on two occasions though.
-She always come to me for help. Even when it's things that I am not involved in.

However there a few things that threw me off. There's been two instances where she has been cold to me. One time at an after work party where it was me her and another guy (who's taken). And she gave most of her attention to the other guy. Every time I asked her something during that three way conversation she would barely look at me or glance my way. There was this one time where I sat next to her for a day at work and she was cold to me the entire morning (cold as in anything I asked, she would give me the bare minimum answer for. She didn't have the usual energy/smile that she has on her face). There's times where I would bump into her in the morning and she would look like she isn't in the mood to talk. Part of it could be that she's tired but her face doesn't light up like it usually does.

However a couple weeks ago, my boss randomly was having a bit of small talk with me and asked me what I thought of her. And I told him the truth of what I thought of her. He then said that he already asked her what she thought of me. I asked him what she said and he said her response was that she got too shy and she didn't respond. And that's pretty much all I've got at the moment.

It's possible she might like you. I'd try talking to her more and showing an interest in her and seeing how she responds.
If her face usually lights up whenever you approach her that's a good sign.
When I have a crush I will usually be very smiley when I see him but sometimes come across as not being talkative because I'm afraid to be too obvious about liking him if I'm not sure he likes me back. If occasionally she acts cold/distant she might also just have something else on her mind or be having a bad day. I would just pay attention to how she usually acts with you.
IMHO, you should just bite the bullet and ask her for a drink after work or something. Then at least you KNOW where you stand.

No fancy dinners at restaurants, just a drink in a well-chosen bar. I would suggest a bar that has some kind of feature (e.g. a pool table, a quiz night etc.) as it will give you something else to focus on and help prevent any awkward silences developing.

I'll let you into a secret... girls love self-confidence. So even the way you ask her will suggest this. For example, instead of saying "Would you like to go for a drink sometime?" you could say, "We get on great, we should go out for a drink sometime". The latter takes away any sense of self-doubt (and it also makes it harder for her to say "No" :wink: ). She'll either say, "Yeah, for sure" (happy days) or she may say "We'll see" (basically a polite "no")

A word of warning, if she invites (or suggests inviting) other people (even if it is her "bestie") then consider that her letting you down gently.

Even if it doesn't work out, just be grown up about it, and there shouldn't be any awkwardness about it (That typically happens when one person can't handle a rejection).
Reply 3
It's possible she might like you. I'd try talking to her more and showing an interest in her and seeing how she responds.
If her face usually lights up whenever you approach her that's a good sign.
When I have a crush I will usually be very smiley when I see him but sometimes come across as not being talkative because I'm afraid to be too obvious about liking him if I'm not sure he likes me back. If occasionally she acts cold/distant she might also just have something else on her mind or be having a bad day. I would just pay attention to how she usually acts with you.

Yh the thing is that it's a bit hit or miss with her. On most occasions, she's been very smiley whenever I approach her or have conversations with her. There have been a couple times in the past where she hasn't been. But I feel like ever since I heard that my boss had that conversation with her about me. She's been very smiley etc. The other thing I forgot to point out is that she's an introvert. So she rarely approaches me.
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
IMHO, you should just bite the bullet and ask her for a drink after work or something. Then at least you KNOW where you stand.

No fancy dinners at restaurants, just a drink in a well-chosen bar. I would suggest a bar that has some kind of feature (e.g. a pool table, a quiz night etc.) as it will give you something else to focus on and help prevent any awkward silences developing.

I'll let you into a secret... girls love self-confidence. So even the way you ask her will suggest this. For example, instead of saying "Would you like to go for a drink sometime?" you could say, "We get on great, we should go out for a drink sometime". The latter takes away any sense of self-doubt (and it also makes it harder for her to say "No" :wink: ). She'll either say, "Yeah, for sure" (happy days) or she may say "We'll see" (basically a polite "no")

A word of warning, if she invites (or suggests inviting) other people (even if it is her "bestie") then consider that her letting you down gently.

Even if it doesn't work out, just be grown up about it, and there shouldn't be any awkwardness about it (That typically happens when one person can't handle a rejection).

Either of us don't drink but I see what you mean in trying to ask her out for something. The only thing is that I was meaning to do this from the first week. As in ask her out during lunch time or something but the only issue is that I feel like it would give away the fact that I like her. Because we usually hang out with two other people (another guy and a girl) so solely just asking her would give off the impression.
Maybe I should do it but it's almost as brave as being upfront with her and asking if she likes me.
Attachment not found
Reply 6
imo she just sounds like she's trying to be nice that's all. But there's only so much I can understand from what you've written so my opinion might not be accurate
Reply 7
Original post by heart2you
imo she just sounds like she's trying to be nice that's all. But there's only so much I can understand from what you've written so my opinion might not be accurate

Yeah you could be right tbh. What more do you want to ask? I can try and answer.
Reply 8
Original post by Guru Jason
Attachment not found

I can’t see the jpg…

The list you gave kinda just sounds like shes being a nice and decent person but paired up with what your boss said, it kinda seems she likes you? only time can tell lol
Reply 10
The list you gave kinda just sounds like shes being a nice and decent person but paired up with what your boss said, it kinda seems she likes you? only time can tell lol

Hmmm I’m starting to get the sense that she’s being a nice person. Honestly, Im in a muddle on how to take her response to when my boss asked her about me. When my boss said she responded in that way I remember saying to him well at least she didn’t turn me down. But the other thing is that she’s quite an introverted person so her going ‘shy’ (as my boss describes it) could be a good or a bad thing coz she’s too shy to say either answer to him.
Hmmm I’m starting to get the sense that she’s being a nice person. Honestly, Im in a muddle on how to take her response to when my boss asked her about me. When my boss said she responded in that way I remember saying to him well at least she didn’t turn me down. But the other thing is that she’s quite an introverted person so her going ‘shy’ (as my boss describes it) could be a good or a bad thing coz she’s too shy to say either answer to him.

yeah I think most girls would get shy but she seems to feel comfortable around you so i would'nt rule out the possibility, there isn't a solid line that she likes you but then on the bright side, there isnt a solid line that she only likes you as a friend

If she wasn't interested in you romantically at all, in my opinion it wouldn't be difficult for her to tell your boss that if he asked her directly or to at least give an answer, even if she is a bit introverted. It's difficult to know based on only the stuff you've said but the fact that she went shy when he asked her about you suggests that there may be some attraction to you
Reply 13
If she wasn't interested in you romantically at all, in my opinion it wouldn't be difficult for her to tell your boss that if he asked her directly or to at least give an answer, even if she is a bit introverted. It's difficult to know based on only the stuff you've said but the fact that she went shy when he asked her about you suggests that there may be some attraction to you

You think so? I thought the exact same when I first heard it and also she went back to her usual smiley/talkative self after I heard that happened.
Yeah it's quite possible. If you don't want to be bold and ask her out for a drink or something, you could just try some gentle flirting if you're up for it to see whether she reacts positively to it. Unless you show her you're interested in her she won't know and then she's less likely to show whether she likes you back
Either of us don't drink but I see what you mean in trying to ask her out for something. The only thing is that I was meaning to do this from the first week. As in ask her out during lunch time or something but the only issue is that I feel like it would give away the fact that I like her. Because we usually hang out with two other people (another guy and a girl) so solely just asking her would give off the impression.
Maybe I should do it but it's almost as brave as being upfront with her and asking if she likes me.

You can substitute the bar for a coffee shop (the dynamics are similar, but without the alcohol... so there's less chance of things getting physical). As I said, keep it simple, and say something like "There's a new Starbucks / Costa opened downtown, we should check it out sometime". As I said, she'll probably pick up on that you like her, and if she likes you back (or at least is "open" to your advances), she'll agree. Worst case scenario, she'll invite (or suggest inviting) your other two friends... which could mean she's not interested & letting you down gently, or she's oblivious to the fact you're having "wild thoughts" about her :wink:

Plot twist she likes your boss more, I really don't think she's that into you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending