The Student Room Group

My boss doesnt listen to me

I 21(F) have been working the same retail job for about 2 years - its a horrible job but the pays okay and usually the hours suit me so ive stuck with it. However, ever since ive started ive been working every single weekend with the occasional one off because ive booked a holiday etc - recently my private life has changed and i now have duties of care within my family which fall on a sunday. I have asked my boss since September if i could have sundays off and work the saturday or work less sundays as i work them every week - ive been told no etc and im getting a bit angry because i now have a memorial service on sunday and ive been told i cant have it off. There are 3 other members of staff who can work this sunday so i dont understand why its only me. Also, i have been doing nothing but closing shifts for the past 9 months and when ive asked if i can do some opens im ignored. Any advice on how to tackle this one?
Reply 1
Original post by FrontalLob3
I 21(F) have been working the same retail job for about 2 years - its a horrible job but the pays okay and usually the hours suit me so ive stuck with it. However, ever since ive started ive been working every single weekend with the occasional one off because ive booked a holiday etc - recently my private life has changed and i now have duties of care within my family which fall on a sunday. I have asked my boss since September if i could have sundays off and work the saturday or work less sundays as i work them every week - ive been told no etc and im getting a bit angry because i now have a memorial service on sunday and ive been told i cant have it off. There are 3 other members of staff who can work this sunday so i dont understand why its only me. Also, i have been doing nothing but closing shifts for the past 9 months and when ive asked if i can do some opens im ignored. Any advice on how to tackle this one?

I would quit, if he doesn’t respect you and refuses to accommodate you even though he has the ability to do, especially under the circumstances you’re in, quit. Check out jobs round the area but don’t let someone treat you like that - you deserve more! Sorry if that’s unhelpful but you clearly have a lot going on and don’t need the extra grief from a nasty manager. Look out for similar jobs around the area. Hope it works out for you.
Reply 2
How did you find the job out of interest?
Original post by FrontalLob3

Have you put your requests in writing and kept a record of it?
You could think about raising an official grievance if you feel that you've requested reasonable adjustments that won't negatively affect the business and that your boss is being unreasonable by refusing to accommodate them.
Reply 4
What does your contract say your working hours are. You’ll at least be entitled to some holiday leave. Join a trade union, get some advise and support and tackle your boss from a strong position

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending