The Student Room Group

Any tips for wearing glasses?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
So I recently found out I'm short sighted and have to wear glasses when looking at screens or driving. I'm not looking forward to it, my nose will get itchy and I don't want to get dents on my nose. How can I prevent this, is there something clear that I can put on my nose to protect it or something

From my experience, don't get glasses with them tabs for your nose, these often fall off and dig into your nose and even with them on they are often also irritating. Instead get plastic frames or something as they are cheaper, more durable and don't have them annoying nose tabs.
Reply 21
Original post by Kathy89
What is your prescription?
What is your visual acuity with and without glasses?
Have you been tested with your pupils dilated?

There's 2 0.25 and 1 0.50 I think I don't really understand it. I don't know what you mean by acuity. I had the normal eye test with the optometrist and was told I was short sighted and then was prescribed glasses.
Reply 22
Original post by catchmeify0ucan
Only thing I'll warn you about is the sun. IDK about anyone else, but I sometimes get a funny tan-line stripe across my nose where my glasses have been (I'm not allowed contacts until sixth form 🙄) so I'd advise wearing contacts in the sun if that's something you can do. Although if it's short-sightedness that might be less of an issue...?

I don't really go out in the sun so I should be fine
Reply 23
Original post by Trollhunter1312
I think contacts is a good alternative or you can get laser surgery so you don't need to use contacts or glasses but it is expensive.

I would rather have contacts but they're really expensive as you'd need to keep buying more and with my luck I'd probably get an infection or forget I'm wearing them, end up sleeping with them on and get stuck.😅 Also might not be eligible for them anyway
Reply 24
Original post by starfshi
when i get my new frames i always ask for gel nose pads! if you find the thin plasticy ones uncomfy it might be worth asking, it depends what frame you pick though. and be careful of the arms digging in the backs of your ears, they might have not been fitted right, (it always happens with me 👿 ) good luck w/ ur new glasses!

Someone in my family has those gel nose pads and they left dents. I have the plastic ones without any type of nose pads
Reply 25
Original post by nerdykidddd
From my experience, don't get glasses with them tabs for your nose, these often fall off and dig into your nose and even with them on they are often also irritating. Instead get plastic frames or something as they are cheaper, more durable and don't have them annoying nose tabs.

I know I've got the plastic framed ones with no nose tabs
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous #1
There's 2 0.25 and 1 0.50 I think I don't really understand it. I don't know what you mean by acuity. I had the normal eye test with the optometrist and was told I was short sighted and then was prescribed glasses.

Can you send a photo of it? It seems like a very slight prescription.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending