The Student Room Group

Realistically how hard to become an accountant without a degree and just the AAT lvl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ajj2000
Ah, this might be important. Do you have a health condition which restricts how many hours a week you can work/ study? If so that might make much of the advice about accounting career paths redundant.

I dont have health conditions, no. I just would prefer to not avergae more than 40ish hours a week. I can do up to 60 occasionally, but I certainly wouldnt want my average to hit the 50s.
(edited 5 months ago)
So once again I seem to be at a disadvantage due to terrible general knowledge and having a very weird work situation in the past. Was just told at universal credit that its common for firms that value their workers to offer up to degree level training sometimes.

You would probably be better off getting an entry level clerical/ accounts position. Completing level 2 would assist with finding such a role and in progressing once you have the job.

If I performed exceptionally at my entry level position would they fund further training? If this is a possibility then whats the point of apprenticeships at all? Is there any way I can tell whether an employer that likes me would pay for my further training in the future?? I doubt it would ever be enough to help me become a chartered accountant though right? Seems like I would be taking a lot of risks in wasting even more time, or at least being inenefficient with my time.

I did my first year in engineering part time due to unexpected care responsbilities. Over 2 years I still failed to quite finish the first year.. although I came very close. I have tre transcript with some credits, just wish it was enough to form a qualification heh.

Anyway thanks for all the help.
Any point me bothering with that excel online course atm? For now I am waiting for the lvl 2 aat to start to see how I enjoy it, then if I do, Ill maybe pay for the lvl3 at the same time with an online provider. And it sucks not knowing whether I will oweor gain big money in the meantime. Will start phoning up individual businesses later this week.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 23
Original post by moomin valley
Any point me bothering with that excel online course atm? For now I am waiting for the lvl 2 aat to start to see how I enjoy it, then if I do, Ill maybe pay for the lvl3 at the same time with an online provider. And it sucks not knowing whether I will oweor gain big money in the meantime. Will start phoning up individual businesses later this week.

Any particular excel course? Anyway - yes. There are lots of reasons for learning excel. Its widely used across a whole load of business functions. Not just accounting.

I need some time to respond to your other points. They need a bit of detail as there is a lot if ambiguity with the terminologies used in different circumstances.
Reply 24
The reason Id start the AAT while still looking for an apprenticeship is becasue im obsessed with getting a full degree eventually and dont really want to go down the OU route unless every option becomes terrible. The only apprenticeship for accountancy I found on the 12 websites I check every other day was in the next city and even though it was level 3.... the requirements were to already have A-levels!

I find all the discussions about 'level 3', 'level 4', 'level 7' etc very confusing. I don't think it means anything unless for some macro level monitoring of national levels of education and training. It seems to create real misunderstanding when it comes to accountancy training and probably for a whole load of other fields.

There are plenty of reasons firms would want someone with good A levels as an AAT trainee. They have proven test taking abilities amongst other things. I don't think thats unusual as a selection criteria. Sure - getting 3 high A levels in the same sitting is probably harder than passing AAT but so what? These are courses with different objectives.

Sure, I like apprenticeships becasue it allows me to study and gain work experience at the same time. Any other non uni option would require me to get a low level job, impress employers and have them fund my further studying.. right?

I don't think the actual work you would do in most apprenticeships in accounting would be any higher level than a non apprenticeship job. Its not uncommon for employers to recruit trainees and provide formal training. Whether something is named an apprenticeship or no is not necessarily of any difference to you. The terms and conditions you receive are what matters.

That being said lots of people get an entry level role, develop skills and prove themselves. Their current employer may well agree to fund training, or give an adequate pay rise which allows them to fund it themselves. Alternatively they use the skills they have acquired to find an employer who offers something better for them.

Of note because a lot of people seem surprised by this - apprenticeships don't necessarily pay less than other jobs someone might be eligible for.

"How come it's (big 4 training) so beneficial in general and even more so in the UK? Cheers."

I'm really not sure. I think part of it is selectivity at the intake stage which gives peoples CVs a boost. It also helps to have seen a number of large multinationals and develop the knowledge to progress with huge companies.

If you don't like long hours big 4 is the wrong place to be.

If I performed exceptionally at my entry level position would they fund further training?

Its very common. As above - you could also fund your own training so long as the salary is adequate.

If this is a possibility then whats the point of apprenticeships at all?

The term 'apprenticeship' is just a word. There isn't necessarily any difference from another job which isn't advertised as being an apprenticeship.

Many companies use apprenticeship funding to pay for training. Interestingly a few years ago many accounting jobs which came under apprenticeship funding were not advertised as being 'apprenticeships' as people thought it indicated a low level job. You should look at the overall package - not names.

Is there any way I can tell whether an employer that likes me would pay for my further training in the future??

Great question. You might ask whether they fund training for current staff - but there really are no guarantees other than on formal schemes.

It tends to be worth looking for jobs which give you marketable skills. That means you can look elsewhere to see if you can get a better deal - and your employer knows that so is more likely to support you.

I doubt it would ever be enough to help me become a chartered accountant though right?

If by chartered you include ACCA or CIMA - lots of people do this each year. Probably the majority who complete the qualifications.

Seems like I would be taking a lot of risks in wasting even more time, or at least being inenefficient with my time.

I'm not sure what the risk is? You get a job and try to progress. Its only a risk if you had better alternatives.
Original post by ajj2000
Any particular excel course? Anyway - yes. There are lots of reasons for learning excel. Its widely used across a whole load of business functions. Not just accounting.

I need some time to respond to your other points. They need a bit of detail as there is a lot if ambiguity with the terminologies used in different circumstances.

Thanks, sorry that it is becoming time consuming!

This excel course looked like it had high ratings: https://www.coursera.org/learn/excel-intermediate-1/home/info
I'll have to rush through the basics by myself before starting this though... **** Im getting late entering it though.
Reply 26
Thanks, sorry that it is becoming time consuming!

This excel course looked like it had high ratings: https://www.coursera.org/learn/excel-intermediate-1/home/info
I'll have to rush through the basics by myself before starting this though... **** Im getting late entering it though.

Looks fine. Equally there are lots of other resources online and from a local library to learn excel.
Original post by ajj2000
The reason Id start the AAT while still looking for an apprenticeship is becasue im obsessed with getting a full degree eventually and dont really want to go down the OU route unless every option becomes terrible. The only apprenticeship for accountancy I found on the 12 websites I check every other day was in the next city and even though it was level 3.... the requirements were to already have A-levels!

I find all the discussions about 'level 3', 'level 4', 'level 7' etc very confusing. I don't think it means anything unless for some macro level monitoring of national levels of education and training. It seems to create real misunderstanding when it comes to accountancy training and probably for a whole load of other fields.

There are plenty of reasons firms would want someone with good A levels as an AAT trainee. They have proven test taking abilities amongst other things. I don't think thats unusual as a selection criteria. Sure - getting 3 high A levels in the same sitting is probably harder than passing AAT but so what? These are courses with different objectives.

Sure, I like apprenticeships becasue it allows me to study and gain work experience at the same time. Any other non uni option would require me to get a low level job, impress employers and have them fund my further studying.. right?

I don't think the actual work you would do in most apprenticeships in accounting would be any higher level than a non apprenticeship job. Its not uncommon for employers to recruit trainees and provide formal training. Whether something is named an apprenticeship or no is not necessarily of any difference to you. The terms and conditions you receive are what matters.

That being said lots of people get an entry level role, develop skills and prove themselves. Their current employer may well agree to fund training, or give an adequate pay rise which allows them to fund it themselves. Alternatively they use the skills they have acquired to find an employer who offers something better for them.

Of note because a lot of people seem surprised by this - apprenticeships don't necessarily pay less than other jobs someone might be eligible for.

"How come it's (big 4 training) so beneficial in general and even more so in the UK? Cheers."

I'm really not sure. I think part of it is selectivity at the intake stage which gives peoples CVs a boost. It also helps to have seen a number of large multinationals and develop the knowledge to progress with huge companies.

If you don't like long hours big 4 is the wrong place to be.

If I performed exceptionally at my entry level position would they fund further training?

Its very common. As above - you could also fund your own training so long as the salary is adequate.

If this is a possibility then whats the point of apprenticeships at all?

The term 'apprenticeship' is just a word. There isn't necessarily any difference from another job which isn't advertised as being an apprenticeship.

Many companies use apprenticeship funding to pay for training. Interestingly a few years ago many accounting jobs which came under apprenticeship funding were not advertised as being 'apprenticeships' as people thought it indicated a low level job. You should look at the overall package - not names.

Is there any way I can tell whether an employer that likes me would pay for my further training in the future??

Great question. You might ask whether they fund training for current staff - but there really are no guarantees other than on formal schemes.

It tends to be worth looking for jobs which give you marketable skills. That means you can look elsewhere to see if you can get a better deal - and your employer knows that so is more likely to support you.

I doubt it would ever be enough to help me become a chartered accountant though right?

If by chartered you include ACCA or CIMA - lots of people do this each year. Probably the majority who complete the qualifications.

Seems like I would be taking a lot of risks in wasting even more time, or at least being inenefficient with my time.

I'm not sure what the risk is? You get a job and try to progress. Its only a risk if you had better alternatives.

Thankyou, I was advised to look into the civil service as they are far more likely to offer training. Although maybe they are lying at universal credit as they are told to push people towards this atm, I think I trust my specific advisor though. Ill research the civil service and maybe start applying there if I dont have luck with the apprenticeships. Maybe someone will like the fact I have started lvl2 AAT.. but can I get the lowest level positions with just GCSEs and showing that im part way through the lowest AAT.. doubtful. It takes 30 stupid weeks to get this qualification so if I like it the only option is to smash ahead level 3 by myself and pay exams... if no apprenticeships appear.

You might ask whether they fund training for current staff - but there really are no guarantees other than on formal schemes.

So apprenticeships would be more efficient, especially as they likely offer a higher ratio of training to working.. probably.

Kind of playing the waiting game to see how much I like the AAT2 over next fortnight. If I love it, its a choice between smashing ahead with lvl3 in unison online, maybe A levels too. If I have bad luck with jobs over next several months... signing up for open university is still a final option. Depending on if I get further financial insight into my likely situation will affect stuff too.

So I could do the aats, get a low level job and if they eventually only give me a little training, I can do stuff in my own time, even quit and do stuff in my own time (which in a year I potentially could easily afford) or move to another job that will.

The term 'apprenticeship' is just a word. There isn't necessarily any difference from another job which isn't advertised as being an apprenticeship. Many companies use apprenticeship funding to pay for training. You should look at the overall package - not names.

Good to know thankyou. WIll have to check adverts very carefully.

So If I had other training in the normal job, I could still move in the future to a higher level apprenticeship without doing the lower level apprenticeship as the in job training should hopefully be considered good enough?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ajj2000
Looks fine. Equally there are lots of other resources online and from a local library to learn excel.

Do you think the coursera certificate is at all useful though?
Anyway thanks for the advice, Ill stop nagging you now until I feel out the AAT course for a few weeks
Reply 29
Do you think the coursera certificate is at all useful though?
Anyway thanks for the advice, Ill stop nagging you now until I feel out the AAT course for a few weeks

It might be useful but being able to state that you can do certain things on excel is what really matters. Likewise when you have some experience being able to answer competency questions can be very valuable.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Much of the reality of getting a break into employment seems counter intuitive to a lot of very smart and dedicated people.
Thanks for the support. I can very happily confirm that I both enjoy the aat level 2, I am very curious to know how all systems connected to money in general work and am much better at retaining the information than with engineering; although to be fair this is only level 2 atm.

I will get a part time job and then choose to either smash ahead of my class (the tutor is too fast and it is frankly more time efficient to learn by myself the majority of the time than waste time travelling) and relearn the maths A-levels or self study the level AAT3.

Am applying now to the only lower accountancy apprenticeship I have seen in 3 months, and a few level 4's that will be available as of summer time. I think I will be honest about life events and my decisions recently on my CV as it will help me standout and be more memorable.

I think we said before, that it doesnt really matter what part time job I may obtain for the next 6 monthsish? I suppose at my low level nothing is really relevant to improving my odds of getting an apprenticeship by next summer (assuming no lower ones open up and accept me before then)

Thankyou again for all the help.
Reply 31
"I think we said before, that it doesnt really matter what part time job I may obtain for the next 6 monthsish?"

What sorts of jobs were you considering?
Turns out it's not relevant, am taking the first one that accepts me!
I have heard that the civil service allows easy movement between departments. Do you know of any other sectors where I can increase the chances of moving to a low-level accountancy position after I finish AAT2? This will likely be my path sadly. Will keep applying for apprenticeships of course.

I have a good chance of getting a job with national rail if I go on their training course in a week or two, hopefully I have a chance of moving to accountancy here!

Thanks for all the help btw and happy new year.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 34
Well, you probably want to find employers with an accounts department in a suitable location for you - its would be pretty hard to transfer if all the work is done in Romania!

NHS, local government, large businesses would all be decent options to look at. Civil Service - definitely a good option to explore.
Hi, I used to be an accounts assistant lvl 3 aat. If you want to be an accountant you are better off looking at acca or cima. As most chartered accountants hold either one of those qualifications.
Original post by ajj2000
Well, you probably want to find employers with an accounts department in a suitable location for you - its would be pretty hard to transfer if all the work is done in Romania!

NHS, local government, large businesses would all be decent options to look at. Civil Service - definitely a good option to explore.

Not having much luck even with lowest of the low jobs, all are asking for previous experience. I only have experience in care work and that needs a driving license. Will get help with my CV, I must have messed up as no responses from over 130 applications (all minimum wage).

Also am realizing how few larger places actually have an accountancy department in my city now.. Also can you think of any good ways I can find out from a company whether they actually have accounts departments in my city? Am failing very badly atm to figure this out, I just tried to figure it out with Iceland and failed to get ANY information.

Can you please recommend any forums for where I can ask for help on lower level accountancy questions please?
Only good news is that even though I ran out of time and didnt go through the revision material and prepared for the first exam just by doing 3 mocks I still managed to get 92%. but if I want to be a chartered accountant I must get 100% for a level 2 course I feel.
Reply 37
Not having much luck even with lowest of the low jobs, all are asking for previous experience. I only have experience in care work and that needs a driving license. Will get help with my CV, I must have messed up as no responses from over 130 applications (all minimum wage).

Also am realizing how few larger places actually have an accountancy department in my city now.. Also can you think of any good ways I can find out from a company whether they actually have accounts departments in my city? Am failing very badly atm to figure this out, I just tried to figure it out with Iceland and failed to get ANY information.

Can you please recommend any forums for where I can ask for help on lower level accountancy questions please?
Only good news is that even though I ran out of time and didnt go through the revision material and prepared for the first exam just by doing 3 mocks I still managed to get 92%. but if I want to be a chartered accountant I must get 100% for a level 2 course I feel.

Also can you think of any good ways I can find out from a company whether they actually have accounts departments in my city?

I wonder if you could search on linkedin for people with appropriate job titles working in your city. One thing which can help searches is to connect on linkedin with every accounts recruitment agent you can find (they will all accept - being a complete tart is part of the job description.

Similarly set up a whole load of searches for the area and job titles on reed and Indeed. Reed has an option to search for non qualified accountancy jobs which is pretty helpful. This might give an idea about employers and sectors.

I could - but don't think that is allowed on TSR......
Thankyou, I will try all of this now.

Do you know of any good youtube channels or other social media that's useful for aspiring accountants? The one that I got the auditor info from is American , and was hoping to find a Brit, the few on youtube didn't seem very good that I saw though tbh.
Original post by ajj2000
Also can you think of any good ways I can find out from a company whether they actually have accounts departments in my city?

I wonder if you could search on linkedin for people with appropriate job titles working in your city. One thing which can help searches is to connect on linkedin with every accounts recruitment agent you can find (they will all accept - being a complete tart is part of the job description.

Similarly set up a whole load of searches for the area and job titles on reed and Indeed. Reed has an option to search for non qualified accountancy jobs which is pretty helpful. This might give an idea about employers and sectors.

I could - but don't think that is allowed on TSR......

Reed has an option to search for non qualified accountancy jobs which is pretty helpful.

I can't find this option. Under the specialization tag after I have conducted a search, I do however see the qualified category appear concerning the results. I suppose the non-qualified tag would appear if any showed up then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending