The Student Room Group

Realistically how hard to become an accountant without a degree and just the AAT lvl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by moomin valley
AAT told me that it can be done with just their lvl 4 diploma. Is this likely though!?

Thanks.
Yes, of course it is.
Reply 41
Reed has an option to search for non qualified accountancy jobs which is pretty helpful.

I can't find this option. Under the specialization tag after I have conducted a search, I do however see the qualified category appear concerning the results. I suppose the non-qualified tag would appear if any showed up then.
Wow - that's annoying. They seem to have changed it. I see an 'accountancy' and an 'accountancy - qualified' option.

I think you could focus on the 'accountancy' section but I'll bet the postings are pretty random.
Reply 42
Thankyou, I will try all of this now.

Do you know of any good youtube channels or other social media that's useful for aspiring accountants? The one that I got the auditor info from is American , and was hoping to find a Brit, the few on youtube didn't seem very good that I saw though tbh.
I don't think I've seen much on youtube to recommend. I have a pretty low opinion of youtube advice at the best of times. However a member of this forum has a small channel which is excellent - although somewhat focussed on accounting apprenticeships as an alternative to university. Fehzan Mehdi is the guy to look for.
Reply 43
Oh- just remembered - another member of this forum wrote a book called '1000 years of careers advice'. Some decent content about accounting careers. I guess you could order from your local library?
Thanks for the help AJ. Am atm desperately trying to get into the civil service, have performed badly in the first 2 interviews, but may do well in the next ones.

Btw do you think it would be a negative if I highlighted mistakes (literally providing the link) in the AAT's website if I applied to a low level bookkeeping postion? I'm sure I have found at least one.
Thanks for the help AJ. Am atm desperately trying to get into the civil service, have performed badly in the first 2 interviews, but may do well in the next ones.
Btw do you think it would be a negative if I highlighted mistakes (literally providing the link) in the AAT's website if I applied to a low level bookkeeping postion? I'm sure I have found at least one.
Getting to two interviews sounds like you are nearly there. Have you tried the civil service specific parts of the internet for advice on interviews? They sound like a black art to me but there seems to be a technique to them.

Why woukld you mention the AAT website in an application or interview for a bookkeeping position? I can't see how it helps?
I'm clutching at straws I guess. I'll get the next CS one I guess, thanks.

Got an exam in a couple hours, I know i'm too late but thought I'd try, as my tutor isnt helping.
We have been taught about the wage control account, but then one of the questions in the practice assessment shows completely different ledger accounts that have seemingly replaced the control account. I have tried to use logic, but can't wrap my head around the answer??Capture.PNG
PAYE and NI ledgers seem to have placed the HMRC ledger, so it makes sense that they are credit (liability) entries.
Gross wages and employers NI ledgers seem to have replaced the wages expense ledger, so I understand why they are debits, although they could have just as easily been credit entries and the wage expense account a debit entry that just isnt seen here... although maybe I should assume the whole system of ledgers being used to deal with the payroll must be shown.

What really throws me off though is that the net wages account is a credit entry, I suppose it must be to balance the journal entries, but I could have logically assumed other debit/credits. The net wages should be a credit in the bank ledger... this means the net wages ledger should be a debit entry!? Unless this is a temporary ledger, just to hold the money which we then credit when we want to pay it into the bank account before crediting the bank account again. But why?? It's just confusing.

Thanks!

Also, I just noticed there is no accounting stack exchange.. so strange.
hi
I wrote a reply to this but it seems to have disappeared? Not sure if it was my error or moderation.

If still interested let me know.
Ah it's ok. I got a distinction anyway.

I have 2 interviews coming up that arent remotely accounting related or will barely be useful at all. I had given up appying for any actuall bookkeeping jobs! Until now hopefully!
(edited 2 days ago)
Original post by ajj2000
hi
I wrote a reply to this but it seems to have disappeared? Not sure if it was my error or moderation.
If still interested let me know.

You can be blunt, if anything past the first paragraph is poor, ill delete.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending