The Student Room Group

Should I even be applying to cambridge and UCL with A*AB?

I'm applying to Cambridge and UCL as my top 2 for Computer Science, which require A*A*A, but is there even a point if I got A*AB predicted? A* is in maths, A is in comp sci, and B in physics.
I'm frustrated because I managed to make my personal statement really strong with some guidance from my referee, but my grades are going to put down any odds of me getting into these top unis. I'm going to speak to my physics teacher to try and lift the B up to an A, so if it does possibly go to A*AA that would be great, but that delays me submitting it to Monday and the in-school deadline for early entry was yesterday.
Is there any way I could still make it in, or just give up on Cambridge and go for late entry?
Honestly, I would only apply to one of those. Even if the B raises to and A you are not hitting the grade requirements and they are both hugely competitive. Did your school offer Further Maths? because alot of other applications will have that. There are many disappointed applicants every year through no particular fault other than too many people applied.

I would focus your other 4 spaces on the many very excellent courses around the country that aren't quite so competitive.
Reply 2
Sadly I don’t think you should apply for either given the competitiveness of computer science degrees. Plenty of other great options.
I think your best approach for those universities and that course would be to smash your A-levels and apply next year with achieved grades.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by ageshallnot
I think your best approach for those universities and that course would be to smash your A-levels and apply next year with achieved grades.

Actually I agree with this.
And it gives you 5 full choices this year if the grades don't pan out
Reply 5
Original post by totallyfine
Honestly, I would only apply to one of those. Even if the B raises to and A you are not hitting the grade requirements and they are both hugely competitive. Did your school offer Further Maths? because alot of other applications will have that. There are many disappointed applicants every year through no particular fault other than too many people applied.

I would focus your other 4 spaces on the many very excellent courses around the country that aren't quite so competitive.

My other 3 are Southampton, Queen Mary’s and Royal Holloway as a safe option. Do you recommend any other less competitive but still high end unis, maybe KCL instead of UCL? (I’m OP, just realised I’m signed in on my alt)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot

That’s a very good idea, I didn’t think of that. So I can apply now and if I don’t get the offers I can take a gap year and reapply if I do better in the final exams? (Alt account btw sorry about that)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Nikson
That’s a very good idea, I didn’t think of that. So I can apply now and if I don’t get the offers I can take a gap year and reapply if I do better in the final exams? (Alt account btw sorry about that)

yes
Original post by Nikson
My other 3 are Southampton, Queen Mary’s and Royal Holloway as a safe option. Do you recommend any other less competitive but still high end unis, maybe KCL instead of UCL? (I’m OP, just realised I’m signed in on my alt)

These are all great looking courses with good industrial links:
Surrey AAB
Sheffield A*AA
Loughbough AAA
Bath A*AA
Original post by Nikson

Yes, absolutely.
Reply 10
Original post by totallyfine
These are all great looking courses with good industrial links:
Surrey AAB
Sheffield A*AA
Loughbough AAA
Bath A*AA

I was going to do bath, but I’m pretty sure they require A*A*A. I’ll check out Loughborough because I’ve seen it in the high ranks too. Thank you!
Original post by Nikson
I was going to do bath, but I’m pretty sure they require A*A*A. I’ll check out Loughborough because I’ve seen it in the high ranks too. Thank you!

So it is! Its gone up from 2023
Reply 12
Over 96% of those who actually get in to Cambridge have Further Maths. Without it plus those grades, unless you did insanely well in TMUA you are likely to not even get to interview for them.

Also the TMUA test registration deadline was 29 September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending