The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

sussex alum wondering why the uni has slipped so much in the league tables

Being a former student i often like to take a look at where the uni sits on the league tables and have noticed a consistent drop in its position over the past few years.

Are there any murmurs coming from the brainiacs over at Chichester or Pevensey as to why this is happening?

This is not to discredit anyone from applying since I loved it but I was just curious...
Reply 1
From what my son tells me of general student opinion at Sussex, there seems to be little support available to students. On his course the lectures and workshops etc are seemingly run mostly by PHD students who do not appear particularly commited to the UG students having positive outcomes. Even established staff get PHD students to mark work submitted which leads to varying grades which can be rather unmotivational at times, feedback is not easy to come by and he generally feels like no one really cares how he does apart from himself. The timetabling is poor and this leads to a poor work flow and leads to him often feeling overwhelmed. He was so looking forward to university and now often wonders if he made a mistake. However, he is determined not to drop out and become a statistic so is continuing with the course. It would possibly help if, when they gave students a particular person of reference that they could approach when feeling overwhelmed by either the content or sheer volume of the work, if that person could at least pretend they cared about the student as an individual. Despite feeling this way he is mostly enjoying his course and has made some nice acquaintances. Maybe Sussex should start asking their 'paying' students, what they actually think of the course, take some feedback and start make some positive changes.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending