The Student Room Group

Clingy friend

Hello. As you can see by the title, I'm having some trouble dealing with a clingy friend of mine. We first became friends at the beginning of university. I guess back at the time we were not as close to each other as we are now in second year. I feel like as our friendship has developed, we have become more comfortable together. But for the past few weeks now I feel like this has caused her to become very clingy on me. Always wanting me to go out with her, making plans and putting them on me. For example, going on a trip to an exhibition, going to costa for lunch, going to a museum, going to a bowling alley. I feel like she doesn't understand that I have a busy life and university is my first priority for me because I need to pass my assignments. She acts as if I agreed on going out with her. For example, yesterday she sent a text saying, 'so shall we invite our friend to the exhibition tomorrow?' I didn't expect that message. I was confused. I don't remember fully agreeing on going. I said I liked the idea of going, but never planned a time. Its like she doesn't listen. I tried communicating this with her, and she told me she understands but her action doesn't seem to match her words. She still acts the same. Talking about her friends, she invites people I don't know or don't really have a strong connection with them. I just know them as university class mates. We are friends from a surface, if you get what I mean. So for her to invite those people is something big for me because they've never seen me outside of a university setting. For me, I would like to keep my friendships with them university based only. At some instances, she would get mad at me if I don't answer her calls or don't listen to her stories. Sometimes she tells me lots of her 'drama life' and I'm going to brutally honest here, I don't care. She goes on and on about it and often times includes me in it. I am a mature person and these things don't bother me anymore. She talks about her having a balance between studies and having fun, so she suggested that every last day of the week we go out. For me, I think that will waste my study time. I see that study comes first, then fun. Besides, the trip to university is long and going back home, attending lectures. This all wastes valuable study time. So any free time I get is a treasure. I tried explaining that to her but her reply is so blunt. Her actions will be repeated again, I know.

So my question for you guys is, what do you think about the situation? Give me honest opinions here. Is she right about having a balance? What can I do to let her go of me. I feel like she isn't a good friend because she basically doesn't listen to me and repeats her actions, and she doesn't respect that I have boundaries and want some alone time.
Just say look I've got alot on maybe we could meet once every week,2 weeks, once a month,

Whatever you feel is appropriate for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending