The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway (RHUL) 2024 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Heyy, just received an offer for BA Philosophy!!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by tazizzl
I received an unconditional offer for Philosophy and History of Art and Visual Culture!

Hi, I got an unconditional for Philosophy BA. Are you also thinking about firming RHUL?
Original post by dee7xz
Heyy, just received an offer for BA Philosophy!!

Hey, same here, penny for your thoughts on the course.
Reply 23
Original post by StewartGriffin

Hey, same here, penny for your thoughts on the course.

Omg finally, I haven’t seen anyone else who’s also doing philosophy at any of the unis I applied for until now😭. Tbh, I actually quite like the modules on the course, im particularly interested in aesthetics and morals. Wbu? And what other unis have you applied to?
Original post by dee7xz
Omg finally, I haven’t seen anyone else who’s also doing philosophy at any of the unis I applied for until now😭. Tbh, I actually quite like the modules on the course, im particularly interested in aesthetics and morals. Wbu? And what other unis have you applied to?

😂 yeah its very void of philosophy students. Im debating whether to go to Reading or RHUL, Holloway is closer to me and ima commute. Morals is cool, im interested in morals, mind and meaning, self and everything else really 🤣. Reading has some modules more in my interest but Holloway is so much closer i would end up with 1.33 times the money from the loan. Idk 😩. Where have you applied and why do you like aesthetics?
Reply 25

😂 yeah its very void of philosophy students. Im debating whether to go to Reading or RHUL, Holloway is closer to me and ima commute. Morals is cool, im interested in morals, mind and meaning, self and everything else really 🤣. Reading has some modules more in my interest but Holloway is so much closer i would end up with 1.33 times the money from the loan. Idk 😩. Where have you applied and why do you like aesthetics?

Ohh okayy, I think morals is cool too! You must live far then if royal Holloway is close to you, it’s 2 hours away from me and I want to commute💀. I heard reading is cool. Tbh, if you like the modules more at reading and think you’ll enjoy it more then I say you go there, it’s better to go somewhere further where you’ll actually enjoy it more (which will result in better grades), then to go somewhere closer which you won’t enjoy as much just because it’s ’convenient’. But wherever you choose to go, I know it will be the right decision for you! I also applied to go to soas, northeastern and kings though I’m still waiting to hear back from kings and they do have modules I’m more interested such as philosophy of physics and metaphysics😩. And tbh, i don’t know much about aesthetics but I feel like it’s just something I would be interested in. (Sorry for this fat paragraph I just wrote😭)
Reply 26

Also, are you doing your A-levels too atm?
Original post by dee7xz
Ohh okayy, I think morals is cool too! You must live far then if royal Holloway is close to you, it’s 2 hours away from me and I want to commute💀. I heard reading is cool. Tbh, if you like the modules more at reading and think you’ll enjoy it more then I say you go there, it’s better to go somewhere further where you’ll actually enjoy it more (which will result in better grades), then to go somewhere closer which you won’t enjoy as much just because it’s ’convenient’. But wherever you choose to go, I know it will be the right decision for you! I also applied to go to soas, northeastern and kings though I’m still waiting to hear back from kings and they do have modules I’m more interested such as philosophy of physics and metaphysics😩. And tbh, i don’t know much about aesthetics but I feel like it’s just something I would be interested in. (Sorry for this fat paragraph I just wrote😭)

Wow you would be willing to commute 4 hours a day? You'd have to leave your house at around 6.45 to get to the 9am lectures 😭. No spare time left over whatsoever 🧐. May be worth re-evaluating. Yeah its because if i go to Royal ill have around £90 a week left over after food and bills, whereas if I go to Reading I would have around £60, big difference in quality of life imo. But you are right, thats why im still considering Reading. Im gonna be 23 when course starts so I did my a levels 5 years ago almost 😭. Have you been informed about Offer Holder days btw? Also how are your a levels going?
Original post by dee7xz

Also what a levels did you take? I did Physics, Maths, 3D design and Further maths AS level
Reply 29

Wow you would be willing to commute 4 hours a day? You'd have to leave your house at around 6.45 to get to the 9am lectures 😭. No spare time left over whatsoever 🧐. May be worth re-evaluating. Yeah its because if i go to Royal ill have around £90 a week left over after food and bills, whereas if I go to Reading I would have around £60, big difference in quality of life imo. But you are right, thats why im still considering Reading. Im gonna be 23 when course starts so I did my a levels 5 years ago almost 😭. Have you been informed about Offer Holder days btw? Also how are your a levels going?

Oh absolutely not, if I end up going royal then I’ll deffo get an accom. Travelling 4 hours a day is crazy😭. Ohh okay, I mean have you tried looking at bursaries and scholarships? They could potentially increase the £60. Ohh okay, you’re lucky though, I wish I did my A-levels back in 2019 so that I could have lower grade boundaries😔. I was supposed to take my A-level exams last year but then I took a gap year and I’m thankful for that cause I heard the exam boards screwed a lot of people over last year 😬. And yesss, I’ve signed up for royals open day on the 23rd (I think that’s the date?), will you be going? Oh wow, 4-levels, you must be smart😩, I do psychology, religious studies-philosophy and ethics, and I do history (choosing history is the worst mistake I’ve ever made in my life but I’ll pull through 😔).
Original post by dee7xz
Oh absolutely not, if I end up going royal then I’ll deffo get an accom. Travelling 4 hours a day is crazy😭. Ohh okay, I mean have you tried looking at bursaries and scholarships? They could potentially increase the £60. Ohh okay, you’re lucky though, I wish I did my A-levels back in 2019 so that I could have lower grade boundaries😔. I was supposed to take my A-level exams last year but then I took a gap year and I’m thankful for that cause I heard the exam boards screwed a lot of people over last year 😬. And yesss, I’ve signed up for royals open day on the 23rd (I think that’s the date?), will you be going? Oh wow, 4-levels, you must be smart😩, I do psychology, religious studies-philosophy and ethics, and I do history (choosing history is the worst mistake I’ve ever made in my life but I’ll pull through 😔).

Hello once more, yeah I was thinking that might be better 😂. I am not eligible for any bursaries or scholarships as far as I have found. Yeah, i still didnt do too well in my a levels 😑, nah 3 A levels, one AS level instead of EPQ. Exam boards always screw people 🫤. Had no idea you can take a gap year between year 12 and 13, is that what you did? Yep, History was one of my worst GCSEs. Royal havent sent me any details yet unfortunately so I was in the dark, Im busy on 23rd of March, is there any other days? Also I wouldnt mind chatting on messenger instead.
Reply 31

Hello once more, yeah I was thinking that might be better 😂. I am not eligible for any bursaries or scholarships as far as I have found. Yeah, i still didnt do too well in my a levels 😑, nah 3 A levels, one AS level instead of EPQ. Exam boards always screw people 🫤. Had no idea you can take a gap year between year 12 and 13, is that what you did? Yep, History was one of my worst GCSEs. Royal havent sent me any details yet unfortunately so I was in the dark, Im busy on 23rd of March, is there any other days? Also I wouldnt mind chatting on messenger instead.

Heyy! Okayy, I’ll message you privately instead :smile:
Original post by dee7xz
Heyy! Okayy, I’ll message you privately instead :smile:

Hey, not letting me respond to the dm but thank you for the encouragement 😄. Not upset about my results but they are objectively low. That makes more sense about the gap year. I hope your A Level exams go smoothly and you get your desired uni place.
Reply 33

Hey, not letting me respond to the dm but thank you for the encouragement 😄. Not upset about my results but they are objectively low. That makes more sense about the gap year. I hope your A Level exams go smoothly and you get your desired uni place.

Oh, that’s weird that’s it not letting you respond. But anyways, thanks for the encouragement for my A-levels, let’s hope history doesn’t finish me 😔. I also wish you the best in making your decision whether to go to royal or reading!! <3
Original post by dee7xz
Oh, that’s weird that’s it not letting you respond. But anyways, thanks for the encouragement for my A-levels, let’s hope history doesn’t finish me 😔. I also wish you the best in making your decision whether to go to royal or reading!! <3

Hey, I'll be there on the 23rd, as it turns out. If you go, look out for a tall skinhead with brown hair and
eyes 😂
Reply 35

Hey, I'll be there on the 23rd, as it turns out. If you go, look out for a tall skinhead with brown hair and
eyes 😂

Hello again, oh okayy. I’ll try my best to look out for you🫡. See you there!! :smile:
Hi, I got an unconditional for Philosophy BA. Are you also thinking about firming RHUL?

Hi, congrats! I am firming RHUL, it was my first choice :smile:
Original post by dee7xz
Hello again, oh okayy. I’ll try my best to look out for you🫡. See you there!! :smile:

Still cant respond to PM so will do here once more.

Cool, no worries. Sure, Im planning on asking a lot of questions so Ill just copy and paste my notes and stuff here.
Original post by Anonymous #8
Hi, congrats! I am firming RHUL, it was my first choice :smile:

Hi, niiiiice good stuff. Happy you got it.
Original post by dee7xz

1. Contact hours: How many hours per week and how are they allocated in terms of lectures, tutorials and seminars? 4hours of lectures and 4hours of seminars per week (8hrs) and weekly external seminars and talks of at least 1 hour per week. Tutorials weekly for new students. All together maybe around 10hrs of contact time at the start then probably around 9hrs assuming i go to all organised talks.

2. Parking permit: will I be eligible? Should be elligible since the requirement is 1.5 miles distance from campus and it would be first come first serve basis with good availability around 8-8.30am each morning.

3. To what extent is eastern philosophy taught and researched? One student has said she studied chinese philosophy partly in a 2nd year politics module. There is a chinese philosophy module in 2nd year honing in on ancient side of it. Study of the self is taught. Buddhism is briefly touched upon in 1st year but currently does not extend further.

4. What is covered in Philosophy and Literature? Differs greatly between individual lecturers.

5. Would I be able to do a dissertation with a focus on self and buddhism? If so how would support work considering RoyalH has no focus in such areas? This would certainly be possible. 3rd year dissertation is throughout the whole year and you do it while you are doing the other modules. 3rd year- 3 modules each term (2 terms) so 6 modules.

6. List of optional modules for years 2 and 3? There are at least 18 optional modules to choose from and they rotate between years 2 and 3 so you can choose them at least one of the years, meaning classes have both 2nd and 3rd year students. First year is all compulsory modules.

7. Are there exams in philosophy ba? Yes, they are intended to test ability to act under pressure succinctly. Not exactly exams. First and second years have open book 3 hour "exams" online. Lecturers made it clear these aren't really exams in the traditional sense and only some modules have them. In modules that do, the exam is a maximum of 50% of the mark for the module.

8. Does office time feel rushed and do you have time to really make use of it? Very useful, lecturers are accommodating and respond very quickly to email queries. One girl said her lecturer came to have a discussion with her over lunch purely because she had no time to both have lunch and meet him separately.

9. Lockers in library NEED to be booked in the first week of starting at the reception as they are in high demand and disappear rapidly.

10. Library is 3 floors with silent study areas and group study areas. Had a nice feel to it. Some bean bags laying around for usage. Private conference booths and rooms with screens and big tables that need to be booked in advance for use. One area with loads of whiteboards on the wall for group study and tables facing them.

Hope this helps if you need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending