The Student Room Group

Should I choose Royal Holloway or UAL for Film and Television course?

I can't decide between Royal Holloway or UAL. The main reason is travel expenditure. UAL requires me to take only TFL (2 trains) and takes about an hour or less to reach but Royal Holloway requires me to travel till Heathrow T5 and take the slough bus which doesn't come under tfl and hence I have to pay a higher price compared to tfl services. I can't necessarily live out as its not entirely financially possible for me to do so. What do I do? Please advice
Original post by sidrain
I can't decide between Royal Holloway or UAL. The main reason is travel expenditure. UAL requires me to take only TFL (2 trains) and takes about an hour or less to reach but Royal Holloway requires me to travel till Heathrow T5 and take the slough bus which doesn't come under tfl and hence I have to pay a higher price compared to tfl services. I can't necessarily live out as its not entirely financially possible for me to do so. What do I do? Please advice

Is the rhul course significantly better in your opinion?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Is the rhul course significantly better in your opinion?

I can't really say that one is better than the other, as I think that both of them are equally as good.
Original post by sidrain
I can't really say that one is better than the other, as I think that both of them are equally as good.

So why is rhul still an option?
Reply 4
So why is rhul still an option?

because it gives me the option to study abroad for 1 year or for 6 weeks in summer.
Original post by sidrain
because it gives me the option to study abroad for 1 year or for 6 weeks in summer.

Ah, new information. Which course do you prefer in general? How much more money and effort will rhul cost you?
Reply 6
Ah, new information. Which course do you prefer in general? How much more money and effort will rhul cost you?

I prefer the Film, Television and Digital Production course. If I'm looking at only travelling by public transport(no on-campus accommodations), then each academic year I would probably be spending around 1 thousand pounds. It would also take a lot of effort to get there if I'm choosing to solely rely on public transport since accommodations are quite expensive.
Original post by sidrain
I prefer the Film, Television and Digital Production course. If I'm looking at only travelling by public transport(no on-campus accommodations), then each academic year I would probably be spending around 1 thousand pounds. It would also take a lot of effort to get there if I'm choosing to solely rely on public transport since accommodations are quite expensive.

Sorry, I meant which course do you prefer in the sense of the one at rhul or the one at UAL?

The cost difference isn't too bad but the effort seems significant.
Reply 8
Sorry, I meant which course do you prefer in the sense of the one at rhul or the one at UAL?

The cost difference isn't too bad but the effort seems significant.

hmm, since i've attended insights with ual, i think I like their course better as i have some experience of how they teach it and what type of content i will be learning/producing. As for rhul, i've only heard from other people about the course and it was briefly explained on the open day.
Original post by sidrain
hmm, since i've attended insights with ual, i think I like their course better as i have some experience of how they teach it and what type of content i will be learning/producing. As for rhul, i've only heard from other people about the course and it was briefly explained on the open day.

So you prefer the UAL course, it will be cheaper and less exhausting...
UAL is a CILECT member film school. RHUL isn’t. If you want to get into the industry with practical experience then UAL would be a better choice.
Reply 11
thanks to whoever replied, I did end up applying to UAL for Film and Television and confirmed my offer yesterday. yay :smile:
well done! i applied and got an offer for the same course a few weeks ago and firmed it
Original post by sidrain

I'd recommend trying to live on campus for your first year at RHUL. Easily best year of my life at founders.
Original post by William3333
I'd recommend trying to live on campus for your first year at RHUL. Easily best year of my life at founders.

They posted 7 months ago that they accepted the offer from UAL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending