The Student Room Group

Manager said I smell

So I'm on my 4th shift at a restaurant I work at.
When I was leaving my manager told me I have a persistent bad smell which was quite embarrassing. A lot of the time I do a 2 person's job going up and down the stairs which makes me very sweaty.

Anyway I am quite embarrassed and want to quit because obviously it's not just her who thinks that if she's had to pull me up on it

Anyway. I had a crohns surgery 4 weeks ago and I am still dressing the wound and I know that's what the smell is as I can smell it myself now and again.

Should I message her and ask whether it's that or a sweaty B.O smell? If it's the wound she's smelling then there's nothing I can do about it until it heals. I do spray myself with body spray to hide the smell however there's literally nothing I can do about it

Besides that I actually do want to quit. The job is so convenient atm until my paperwork for my other job gets done but they're so two faced in there and make very nasty comments behind each others backs
If you want to quit then there’s not much point having a back and forth with your manager about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
If you want to quit then there’s not much point having a back and forth with your manager about it.

I'm not gonna quit until like another month tbh but i just wasn't too sure how to manage the situation. I don't want to go into a big discussion about the wound with her or give a "well there's nothing I can do about it so deal with it" type of reasonse.

I've just got my friends to smell me and they said they can't smell anything. My wound doesn't smell either atm so I'm confused what's she's smelling.
Reply 3
Original post by Leahmitch
So I'm on my 4th shift at a restaurant I work at.
When I was leaving my manager told me I have a persistent bad smell which was quite embarrassing. A lot of the time I do a 2 person's job going up and down the stairs which makes me very sweaty.

Anyway I am quite embarrassed and want to quit because obviously it's not just her who thinks that if she's had to pull me up on it

Anyway. I had a crohns surgery 4 weeks ago and I am still dressing the wound and I know that's what the smell is as I can smell it myself now and again.

Should I message her and ask whether it's that or a sweaty B.O smell? If it's the wound she's smelling then there's nothing I can do about it until it heals. I do spray myself with body spray to hide the smell however there's literally nothing I can do about it

Besides that I actually do want to quit. The job is so convenient atm until my paperwork for my other job gets done but they're so two faced in there and make very nasty comments behind each others backs

Go to your GP and explain the situation to them and they hopefully will do a blood test to check your thyroid and anything else and if this comes back clear then obviously it could be down to just sweating to much with the amount of running around. I would use deodorant more often in the meantime to help ( don't take it wrongly okay) as it will be helpful.
You said you using deodorant but all you can do is use it more than usual until you can get a specific answer from your GP. You are doing absolutely everything you can do but it sounds like there's a issues with staff at your restaurant 😕😕.

Don't worry about anyone else because people do sweat more heavily than others depending on what they are doing.

I would ask them to tell you what exactly do you smell like as everyone outside of the restaurant doesn't seem to understand what yous are on about and see if they give you a specific answer.

I would also perhaps find another job with less hassle but if you are awaiting surgery at hospital then no point finding something else until after your operation.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and hopefully everyone goes well with this for you.

NHS midwife.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
Go to your GP and explain the situation to them and they hopefully will do a blood test to check your thyroid and anything else and if this comes back clear then obviously it could be down to just sweating to much with the amount of running around. I would use deodorant more often in the meantime to help ( don't take it wrongly okay) as it will be helpful.
You said you using deodorant but all you can do is use it more than usual until you can get a specific answer from your GP. You are doing absolutely everything you can do but it sounds like there's a issues with staff at your restaurant 😕😕.

Don't worry about anyone else because people do sweat more heavily than others depending on what they are doing.

I would ask them to tell you what exactly do you smell like as everyone outside of the restaurant doesn't seem to understand what yous are on about and see if they give you a specific answer.

I would also perhaps find another job with less hassle but if you are awaiting surgery at hospital then no point finding something else until after your operation.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and hopefully everyone goes well with this for you.

NHS midwife.

Thank you for the response and the well wishes❤️

I messaged her to clarify what scent she was picking up and mentioned about the wound and she said it was just body odour she was smelling.

I'll switch to deodorant as it sounds like the body spray I'm wearing isn't helping. I definitely won't take it to heart as body odour is natural and with the work I'm doing then obviously I'm going to smell. I just hate the fact that I work this not amazing people who I know have probably made a few nasty comments behind my back.

I'll definitely speak to my GP and see if maybe there's an underlying issue.
Reply 5
Original post by Leahmitch
Thank you for the response and the well wishes❤️

I messaged her to clarify what scent she was picking up and mentioned about the wound and she said it was just body odour she was smelling.

I'll switch to deodorant as it sounds like the body spray I'm wearing isn't helping. I definitely won't take it to heart as body odour is natural and with the work I'm doing then obviously I'm going to smell. I just hate the fact that I work this not amazing people who I know have probably made a few nasty comments behind my back.

I'll definitely speak to my GP and see if maybe there's an underlying issue.

Thanks 🙏

Yeah body odour is going to be there especially when running around like you are so obviously you're going to sweat more than normally which can't be helped but obviously your manager doesn't see it that way.

Best thing to do as I said previously is keep using deodorant until such time your GP can tell you what is the cause of excess sweating ( I'll put it down to your job routine).

Yes I understand how you feel about some people talking about it and making comments on it and complaining to the manager just because they have nothing better to do.

If your manager accepting it is down to the job routine then that should be end of the matter but obviously with those who making comments about you smelling doesn't help.

As I said previously as well about speaking to your GP and hopefully they will give you a answer and if need be you can ask for a letter from your GP explaining it nothing to do with yourself but the running around at work which is the cause.
If tests come back clear that's great news for you and then you will be able to tell your manager and also ask manager to put a stop to the silly comments on it because it is not nice getting called names unnecessary.
I highly recommend using ‘Fussy’ deodorant. I used to get BO sometimes as I do a lot of sports (plus hormones yay) and this stuff is amazing. I literally never smell anymore it’s that good. Plus it’s got no aluminium etc in and the refills are in compostable containers. Body spray is never good if you get BO as it just mingles with it and makes it smell worse imo. Use a good deodorant to keep the smells at bay then a body spray or a perfume to smell nice.
Either way it’s not a nice way for your co workers to act about it. There is always a kind way to do these things. I hope you are healing well from your surgery.
Reply 7
I use Trust, it can stop you smelling for up to a few days and it's really good. Also wear loose clothes, no tight t-shirts.
Reply 8
However, you have no obligation to share personal medical details if you prefer not to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending